Birth Plans??

steph1505

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has started making their birth plans?! I havent and my MW hasnt mentioned it to me yet...is it too early to start?! I was also wondering what you're meant to put in it?! Any help would be appreciated... feel a bit clueless!!:shrug: xxx

I started making a birth plan at about 30 weeks. I did just a quick one and then researched everything more and changed it around a little bit. There's some really good online tools that can help, just google "birth plan creator". Or just google "birth plans". Either should help you out some. I don't have any links for you though, sorry.

Thats great!! Thanks very much!! I'll have a wee look & see wot I can see! Im only 19 weeks so I guess it is a bit early to plan it all...but I like to be prepared :D

Thank u! xx

with this one i know exactly what birth i want but havent wrote it in my notes yet.

when pg with my first i read up on the different types of births and decided i wanted a waterbirth with no pain relief apart from gas and air which i managed. i enjoyed it so much that as soon as i got my notes from my m/w with my 2nd baby i filled that section in straightaway and had another waterbirth.

this one i want to be active as possible and have another waterbirth but if thats not possible i.e the birthing pool is being used i'm not sure what i'd want to do. i dont like the idea of giving birth on a bed so probably give birth crouching or something i'm not to sure.

still plenty of time hun and your m/w will talk it over with you when you get further along. x

I haven't written mine yet, but have thought about what will be in it. My friend is a mw, and she was saying you should write in anything and everything you expect or want during the birth.
I'm planning on having a hospital birth, using gas and air if necessary and I wouldn't rule out pethidine (sp?!) but I'm not planning on having an epidural. Id prefer no men (sorry I know its old fashioned but I just can't imagine that!!!) and I want to be told the sex of the baby and I want to hold the baby as soon as possible to get skin to skin contact.
There you go, I should print that off and put it in my notes!!!!

I've started working on mine but it isn't very detailed yet.

I know I don't want to be confined to a bed unless it is medically necessary.
I don't want any 'students' or whatnot in the room when I'm giving birth.
I want the lights turned as down as low as they can be and have some sort of soothing music playing.
I also want the baby to be completely wiped down or swaddled up before I get him because the idea of a slimy flailing infant being handed over to me just squicks me.

having had 2 births both different, and being admitted loads of times from 25weeks i have made notes in my maternity notes.

dont want to be cut - rather tear.
any pain relief EXCEPT EPIDURAL!
medical intervention only IF required
students can be present
if c-section required - under general as NO EPIDURAL
husband as birth partner BUT IF he at work long distance ring the neighbour!
husband to cut cord if possible
baby cleaned b4 giving to me
BOTTLE FEEDING.

simple statements as above, and at the bottom it says "i know birth plans dont always work and as long as the NO EPIDURAL is stuck by i dont care if it changes.

I hadnt thought about it must but there a few things i think i'd like :
Mum/And or Babies father as B.P.
As natural as possible - preferabbly not an epidural.
Baby to be wiped/cleaned before being given to me
I want to bottle feed but im not sure if ill do a one off B.Feed. - Still deciding on that.

Thats all i can think of but can't say ive writtedn any of it down or planned yetxx

Hi,
This is my first baby,
Have fiancee and mum at birth,
I would like to give birth in the midwife led unit,
Have gas and air,
Epidural only if necesary,
Do not want pethidine,

I havent put this in writing yet though,

I haven't put anything down yet but I have started thinking about it.

OH as birthing partner
As active a birth as I can manage, I want to be able to move around and let gravity help things along
Ideally I'd like to just use gas & air and tens but since it's my first I'm open to change
As little medical intervention as is possible
Using hypnobirthing techniques

I'm hoping for a medication-free birth (definitely no epidural).
I'd rather tear than be cut.
My husband, doula and midwives can all be present, and students too if they want. It's not like I'll be noticing!
I want to be as active as possible: lots of walking.
I'm leaning towards having him cleaned up before being given him, but in the moment I might just demand him to be put on me immediately after!
I'll be breastfeeding (I hope) so will start that asap.
I'll probably bring an ipod (I tend to focus internally anyway).

I'm meeting with my doula on Thursday to start a birth plan proper.

I know birth plans don't always go to plan so I wont be too fussed if I don't get what I planned.

I hope to only use entonox (gas & air) and hydrotherapy as pain relief (definatly no epidural).
Have my partner and sister as my birth partners as Im allowed two and plan to give birth in a low risk home from home birth centre.
I dont mind the baby being given straight to me as, as a student midwife im used to handling just delivered babies.
Im also opting for an active third stage as my mother had PPH's with both my sister and I and I dont want to risk it.
My preferred feeding method will be breastfeeding if possible.

I haven't written it yet and my midwife keep telling me nothing can be decided for my homebirth until 37 weeks which has made me put it off for a bit...

I do know I want a home birth if poss
To labour in the pool as much as possible with TENS prior to that and then gas and air
To tear rather than be cut
My mum, sister and husband to be there
To be active as much as possible
To hold the baby straight after
To start trying to feed immediately if possible

I have started to think about how i want the birth to be not in a formal way as in a birthplan on paper as yet, i sought advice from my friends that have recently had their babies etc and spent a bit of time researching stuff on the net so so that i can feel confident about whats ahead instead of perhaps rushed when i do have to do it propely, there are so many options!

I've signed up for a hypnobirthing class with my DH from 27 weeks, 4 x 3 hour sessions. I hope to have a waterbirth with gas and air, no pethidine and if necessary epidural.

didnt do mine till i was 36weeks
it was pointless imo.
they arnt even looked at or taken into account.

I don't know about that, Mummyto Amber, as my midwife and doula are there specifically to support me in ensuring my wishes are followed through on to their best ability given any medical complications. They've made that abundantly clear to me.

I have been thinking about mine but nothing written down yet.

Hospital birth with use of birthing pool if possible.
Gas and air as pain relief.
Would rather have epidural than pethadine
Would prefer to be cut rather than tear
I will be breast feeding
Baby to come straight for skin to skin contact
DF to cut the cord

:)

Thanks very much everyone! That really helps! :D:D Im gonna start looking into things now so I can at least start to put a plan together!! Thank u!! :D:D

dont know if its just my area or all butyour not allowed gas & air if your in the birthing pool as it can make you "light headed" and the MW may not be able to get you out quick enough if anything happens

For those of you who do not want an epidural, could I ask the reasons behind this? (I'm sure there are lots to choose from)

I'm curious because I've had 3 epidurals (not for childbirth) and i found that a bit reassuring if I felt that the pain levels got too high come labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->