Birth question

What degree was your episiotomy? My son was born via emergency forceps with episiotomy but separate tear into my bowel. If I was to have another baby I was advised I'd not be allowed at the birth centre because of the 4th degree tear rather than the fact it was a forceps delivery. If I had another I, personally, would elect for a section. I was in theatre for three hours being stitched up.

Good luck and totally agree it's your choice :hugs: xx

What degree was your episiotomy? My son was born via emergency forceps with episiotomy but separate tear into my bowel. If I was to have another baby I was advised I'd not be allowed at the birth centre because of the 4th degree tear rather than the fact it was a forceps delivery. If I had another I, personally, would elect for a section. I was in theatre for three hours being stitched up.

Do episiotomies have 'degrees'? I'm sure on my discharge notes it just said episiotomy X

Do episiotomies have 'degrees'? I'm sure on my discharge notes it just said episiotomy X

I was advised it's the equivalent of a second degree tear but they can extend to third or fourth degree.

I was advised it's the equivalent of a second degree tear but they can extend to third or fourth degree.
Yes this is true, mine was a third degree.

Hi hun,

It seems I am in the same boat as a few of you ladies.

My first labour was horrendous, I had emergency forceps and an episiotomy. My LG was born blue, not breathing and took 15 minutes to be resuscitated. She spent 4 days in NICU with a collapsed lung and a few other issues.

Like a lot of you here I have been petrified about giving birth to this LO since I got my bfp. At my booking appointment the midwife decided it would be best for me to be consultant-led. I am to meet with him soon to discuss my birthing options, however I have my heart set on a water birth. I queried this with my midwife and she said it's very unlikely it will happen due to previous complications, which makes me sad. The midwife herself told me it's very unlikely the same birth would happen twice, but I suppose they have to be cautious.

When I see the consultant I'm going to do all I can to have a water birth, this is going to be my last and I feel I missed out on the whole amazing birthing experience last time so would like to give it a shot.

At the end of the day it is our choice, and we know ours bodies best, I hope you get the birth you want :D xx

Hi hun,

My first labour was horrendous, I had emergency forceps and an episiotomy. My LG was born blue, not breathing and took 15 minutes to be resuscitated. She spent 4 days in NICU with a collapsed lung and a few other issues.

Like a lot of you here I have been petrified about giving birth to this LO since I got my bfp. At my booking appointment the midwife decided it would be best for me to be consultant-led. I am to meet with him soon to discuss my birthing options, however I have my heart set on a water birth. I queried this with my midwife and she said it's very unlikely it will happen due to previous complications, which makes me sad. The midwife herself told me it's very unlikely the same birth would happen twice, but I suppose they have to be cautious.

When I see the consultant I'm going to do all I can to have a water birth, this is going to be my last and I feel I missed out on the whole amazing birthing experience last time so would like to give it a shot.

At the end of the day it is our choice, and we know ours bodies best, I hope you get the birth you want :D xx

My goodness that is terrible, you poor thing having to go through all that.

I hope your meeting with the consultant goes well, I have yet to get my letter through the post for my appointment. Would you let me know how you get on? :)

I hope you get the birth you want too x

I'm sorry for everything all you ladies have had to go through! :hugs:

I really believe that it is unlikely have 2 births be the same, unless it is a condition that is likely to be reoccurring.

That said, I don't understand why they would be making these decisions for you at this point op? They don't know if this baby will be back to back and it isn't fair to you that they are trying to assume it will be already. I understand trying to be prepared, but this is your birth and you should have a say and be allowed to try a birth center.

Maybe things are done different in the U.S., but they never even mentioned an elcs for my second, even though I had so much trouble with my first. Like a lot of you ladies, my labor was really long with #1 and things weren't progressing even at 10cm. Dd was stuck because she insisted on trying to come out with her hand propped on her cheek and elbow out lol. They pushed her back in several times and gave me 2 episiotomies and I tore in a third place, and they delivered her with forceps. I don't know the degree of the cuts and tear, but I know it was terrible with a horrible recovery.

Now that I've written a book :haha: #2 was the same size as #1 and I had no issues with him at all, no tears, no episiotomies, no threatened c-section, no mention of elcs or forceps!

I really think you should seek a second opinion hun. You should be able to have the birth you want (or at least try for it). I do know here in the U.S. they push induction (and I was induced with both of mine, one at 41+3 and two at 40+5) and this time I'm refusing until at least 42 weeks, unless there's distress of course! We should all have rights and a choice when it comes to our bodies, comfort, and babies :) I'm hoping all goes well for all of you ladies in your second (or more) deliveries! :hugs: sorry for the really long post!

Thank you very much for your story and advice, I'm looking forward to my appointment with the consultant, hopefully he or she might be a bit more understanding of my wishes, I will certainly keep you updated x

A little off topic but is there a way I can find out what 'degree' my episiotomy was without requesting my actual labour notes? I've lost my discharge notes. Would it be on my medical history at the GP maybe, i know they have a little birth-related info on there. X

Oh wow!!! I would definitely be getting a secon opinion because all births are different. I was terrified the 2nd time would be like the first. But it was nothing like it.

With DD I had 32 hours of labor. I couldn't seem to dialate properly because of how bad my contractions were. I tried so hard for an all natural birth but at hour 28 I caved an had an epidural. No drugs up to then. My contractions were also off the charts due to pitocin. I only pushed for 44 minutes tho and out she came.
I did have a 4th degree episomity. Which was horrendous. This was all with a dr. No midwife. An she was 8.8

With DS I didn't even know I was in labor. Ironic right? Hubby went to the bar I chilled at home. Then I started bleeding. And I was like wtf. (Mucus plug) then the contractions came. And I didn't even have chance to call my mom and hubby before I transitioned. Got to the hospital and had him with in the hour. Midwife that time and she used oil to stretch my perineum and it worked. He also came out as I sat up so not much pushing required. He was 8.1

I do attribute the easy labor to my midwife and her amazing advice. She recommended yoga and walking from the beginning. So I did as often as I could and during the winter I exercised inside. I think that made a huge difference. Because I didn't with DD.

So yea labor can be vastly different. And a good midwife will work with you.

This should help.

First degree: Vaginal mucosa
Second degree: Vaginal fascia and perineum
Third degree: External Anal Sphincter (partial or complete)
Fourth degree: External Anal Spincter (EAS), Internal Anal Sphincter (IAS), and rectal mucosa

A little off topic but is there a way I can find out what 'degree' my episiotomy was without requesting my actual labour notes? I've lost my discharge notes. Would it be on my medical history at the GP maybe, i know they have a little birth-related info on there. X

If it helps a third or fourth degree would have been stitched up in theatre with a spinal block (if an epidural wasn't in place). Mine was 4th and it was mentioned at my 6 week check. I also had a follow up with a consultant at 8 weeks and a physiotherapist at 8 weeks (where I am this is normal for a 3rd or 4th degree tear). I hope you get some answers :hugs: xx

Hi hun,

My goodness that is terrible, you poor thing having to go through all that.

I hope your meeting with the consultant goes well, I have yet to get my letter through the post for my appointment. Would you let me know how you get on? :)

I hope you get the birth you want too x

Thank you :)

It was quite the shock after the perfect pregnancy and it all going smoothly up until the last 10 minutes! She is a perfectly healthy 18 month old now though :)

I shall let you know how it goes, fingers crossed i come away smiling :) xx

Same. Because I had an emergency csection last time I cant have a water birth or go on the birthing unit. I can only go on the labour ward and I meet my consultant in just over a week to discuss my options

Same. Because I had an emergency csection last time I cant have a water birth or go on the birthing unit. I can only go on the labour ward and I meet my consultant in just over a week to discuss my options

Good luck with your meeting with the consultant. Please do let us know how you get on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->