~Birth Story - Esmé Eva - Traumatic~

Elski

Reaction score
Right soooo, I was all set for a home waterbirth (I used to be a midwife and really didn't want to birth in hospital) when at 40+5 I was diagnosed with a condition called Obstetric Cholestasis and whipped in to hospital for an induction :cry: Induction was really my own personal worst-case-scenario and I was devastated. So at 1pm on 9th December I was examined and at 2cm dilated, given the first lot of gel... (I didn't tell any of the staff I used to be a midwife as I didn't want it to impact on the care I received).

At 6pm that evening I started contracting and my doula - Rozy - arrived. Myself, OH and Rozy were having a really nice time chatting and laughing with them helping me breathe through the contractions. At 8pm the doctor came in wanting to give me the second lot of gel and Rozy asked if she could wait an hour and see how things were going as I was contracting well. The Dr stormed out and came back with the Head of Midwifery and two other doctors who all proceeded to bully us and tell us they had 'procedures to follow'. Basically I was a statistic, not a person. The gel was given and immediately my uterus went hypertonic (basically one huge contraction that won't release), it was agony and I was screaming and they had to give me drugs to reverse it. I then started on the gas and air.

I could feel that the baby wasn't moving down with the contractions and was only 2/5ths engaged. I kept telling them this but was dismissed "There there dear, what would you know" (well, quite a lot actually... if only you knew). So 2am rolls around and despite having contractions fo 8 hours, I KNEW nothing was happening. I was in pain and tired having not rested or eaten for over 24hrs. The next examination revealed I was STILL only 2cms and her head was still high (just as I'd said). Had I have progressed, I would have stuck with it but still being 2cms demotivated me so much and I knew the drip was going to be put up which would intensify things more, so I requested an epidural. It didn't work. It numbed my legs so I was stuck on the bed, unable to move but still experiencing agonising contractions. They then broke my waters and put the synto drip up.

I was so delirious with the pain that the next 19 hours are blank, I can't remember a thing. I was examined at 9pm the next night and was 'fully' (I was still telling them her head wasn't coming down and still being ignored) so to start pushing. After pushing for an hour, another doctor examined me and said no, I was only 8cm so to stop pushing. A doctor and troupe of students came piling in - my OH and Rozy tried to stop them but were ignored. I was told I was fully again (heard Dr say the head was 'OT', which is an awkward position) and to start pushing. Pushed for 2 and a quarter hours, nothing happened. Was told it was going to theatre. BEGGED them not to cut me or use forceps, doctor said she wouldn't.

In theatre she cut me and used forceps immediately. OH said it was the most traumatic thing he'd ever seen - said they were pulling so hard I was being dragged down the operating table. They then discovered the cord was round her neck so tightly and she was in such an awkward position that SHE WASN'T COMING DOWN (errr, hello!). They cut the cord when the head was delivered which cut off her oxygen supply, then her shoulder got stuck which became an obstetric emergency. So at 00.13am on 11th December, they eventually got her out. She was grey, floppy and silent with apgars of 3 at one minute. It took them 15 mins to establish regular breathing and she was taken off to NICU for anti-biotics. I then haemorrhaged.

To add insult to injury the 'surgeon' who stitched me up. did so too loosely and they all came open a week later, leaving me with a gaping wound. And LO still has a scar on her face from the forceps.

I am utterly devastated by the whole thing, especially the appalling and insensitive treatment I received from certain staff. BUT I have my gorgeous little girl.... Thanks for reading x

Attachments

• Esme 001.jpg
    Esme 001.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Esme VIII 014.jpg
    Esme VIII 014.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Esme VIII 005.jpg
    Esme VIII 005.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 14
she's lovely :hugs: I feel so bad for you not having the birth you wanted...it sounds so rough and harsh. Noone would want a birth like that :( but congratulations, I hope having her here and healthy numbs the horribleness just a little for you.

Congrats-she's beautiful.

What a shame the birth was not what you wished for. Hope you're recovering well. X

Thanks ladies :)

Great name choice there, Louisandcoco :thumbup:

This is one of my biggest fears. I am so sorry you went through that and knowing so much must have made it worse! I would put in a complaint to the hospital

Congratulations, she is one gorgeous little girlie :flower:

Sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back