Birthing Pool & The Practicalities

Dimbo

Wishing on a star
Reaction score
So I think hubby and I have decided we're going for a home birth. I wanted it, he didn't, I came to terms with going to hospital when he had come round to the idea of a home birth. We spoke with the midwife today and we think we're now in the same place, and set on a home birth :thumbup:

I think I'd like to get a birthing pool, but the midwife mentioned it might not be practical as we're on the third floor. So, my question is, is it worth me looking in to, or will it be too impractical? We have enough room in the lounge - which has the kitchen attached. We'd have enough room in the bedroom which has the en-suit attached (although no bath, only a shower) and the bathroom would most probably be big enough too. We have cream carpets *eek* - and vinal in the bathroom. It's concrete floors underneath, so it's not like if there are a few drips the neighbours will know about it. The only problem we could see was if it burst.

Is this something that is possible, or shall I stop my research now and put the idea out of my mind because of the impracticalities?

i think its more about the weight of it when filled rather than spills...

Huh! *feeling the need to :dohh: myself* I'm ashamed to say that didn't even cross my mind! :blush:

Most interesting, thanks! I shall continue the research on that theory.

Can't SEE any major issues - the site I looked at said the weight is roughly the same as dining table seating 6...if you wouldn't be worried about having a dinner party then no need to fret about pool. Long hose to go to nearest hot tap....shoudl be fine hon!

Can't SEE any major issues - the site I looked at said the weight is roughly the same as dining table seating 6...if you wouldn't be worried about having a dinner party then no need to fret about pool. Long hose to go to nearest hot tap....shoudl be fine hon!

I've had 6 at my dinner table, and the christmas dinner on top - surely that's gotta count for a few stone! :lol: Hubby has just been looking into the weight and the website he used said it is roughly 10 people. We said we'd easily have 10 people standing in the middle of our lounge (probably had about 8 in one go before now) without even thinking about it. That's one good thing about this new build compared with others in town, bloody solid floors :thumbup: I've heard that others in town have had lightbulbs go out when upstairs neighbours have walked around in heels. :wacko:

I am absolutely positive you will not be the first person to have a Home Birth in a pool in a flat my lovely. You have seen the pics of ours blown up in our lounge and it really isn't as huge as people may think.

If you have somewhere easy to empty it then I can't see why not. I'd email a few suppliers, they will have been asked before I am sure :hugs:

Oh, and :yipee: :yipee: :yipee:.....that is all!!! :kiss:

xxx

I think its just the weight of the pool but if your floor can take it then i dont see a problem

Sometimes they suggest getting a surveyor out to check out your floors if you've got wooden joists, floorboards etc. but if you've got concrete floors (then I'm assuming you're in a modern flat which would have steel joists?), then I guess you'll be fine. x

my pool instructions say its about the weight of 12people standing in the same spot :D

as mentioned above, it's a weight issue. If you're really concerned you can hire a building inspector to see if it can take the weight.... but I've attended home births in apartments (even higher then the 3rd floor) and their birth pool never fell through the floor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->