birthing tips needed for a third time mum

mich22

Reaction score
Hi,
I am pregnant with my third baby. I am only four weeks and I am already worrying.

I had natural labours with both of my babies. My first was 24 hours weighing 9lb 1. I really struggled as by the time I reached the transition stage I was exhausted and I found the pain by this point unbearable. I can't take gas and air as it makes me puke and I am a firm believer in natural labour.

My second birth was ok and a bit easier at 20 hours, I was better with my breathing and less exhausted, however once I got to transition stage again it was unbearable. I was histerical and begged for relief. I closed my legs and refused to push but my body just naturally forced the push in the end. My son was born two weeks early at 8lb. The Dr said if I would have gone full term he would have been huge!!

I am worried that if I go full term or over due I am going to have another long labour and be unable to cope from transition onwards but I still want a natural labour again.

Does anybody have any tips or experience that might be usefull to me????

Congratulations :flower: both on your new pregnancy and managing to have natural labours previously.
I also had natural labours and can't do gas and air as it makes me queasy.
I have pretty quick labours (around 6 hrs from first contraction to end, approx 30 mins second stage) and I still get to that point where I say "I can't do this anymore".
I always said I don't how women who have long labours cope with it so I'm so impressed that you did.
I found with my last labour I knew roughly how long it would be so I concentrated on the clock, dunno what would have happened if it had gone over its allotted time lol. Is that something you could do? Alternatively are you able to distract yourself in early labour so it doesn't seem so long?
Not much help sorry but I hope you can look forward to the new baby :thumbup:

Congratulations :thumbup:

I am also pregnant with my third after 2 big babies previously, 9lb and 8lb 15!

I am opting for a home birth this time as I honestly think being in hospital made things a lot worse for me. I am petrifed of hospitals as the best of times and stress does nothing but slow your labour.

Not sure if it will work out yet but no harm in trying is the way I am thinking.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!

Pretty much everyone hits "the wall" in labour - the point where they "can't do it". It's normal. Hold this thought: even as you think you can't do it.... with every breath, with every push, with every expansion.... you ARE doing it.

Also remember - nausea and vomiting are just a part of labour for many women, with or without drugs and can even help you dilate.

I found affirmations really helpful... and something to focus on; an image to visualise.

im pregnant with number 3 after a 9lb 10oz and a 10lb 12 oz baby if you can distract yourself in early labour and stay upright and mobile you will likely labour alot easier than if your laid down my first labour was so long caus i tensed up with the pain every contraction and fought it trying to push the pain away, with my second it was alot faster caus i focuesd on my breathing and relaxation through contractions and it allowed him to move down alot easier

oh and both my boys were overdue by 10+ days i think it makes it easier if anything caus they are more ready though all babies come in their own time

I am a firm believer that fear during labor causes the muscles to tighten up, slows down progress and makes the contractions more painful. When I had my 1st I was full of fear, the contractions were miserable and it took nearly 18 hours. With my 2nd I learned to let go of the fear and I had a wonderful almost pain free delivery. I am now pregnant with baby # 6 and while I am nervous, I know that if I relax and trust my body it will turn out much better.

I totally agree about fear slowing things down. With my first, I was so in denial that I was in actual labor, that I was relaxed all the way through the beginning of transition! My labor was very fast.

With my second, I was more 'prepared' but less ready if that makes sense, and had more fear - and labor was harder and took longer. This time around I've practiced more relaxation techniques and hubby and I are working on various methods - massage, water, visualization, affirmations, etc and I plan on focusing more on working *with* the contractions and living in the immediate moment than worrying about stuff like with #2 (I was totally terrified I would tear... which I did, but which wasn't that big of a deal).

I am a little fearful still because I have been recommended for an induction at 39th week, and while I feel that it would be the right choice to do it, the experience is unknown to me so I am a bit afraid. Trying to shake that fear beforehand though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->