Bit embarrassing really but...

Talia12

Reaction score
I'm 26 and this year will be the first year ever that I've "hosted" my own Christmas. Christmas is REALLY important to me and I want it to be as great as it usually is (when my mum cooks haha), I'm planning to buy most of the food ready prepared (from Tesco probably) but desserts etc I will make myself because I'm a lover of baking/making puddings etc.

My question is what will I need? I mean, i KNOW what a traditional Christmas lunch involves because I've had one every year of my life haha, but now that buying/planning it is actually up to me, I know I'll end up forgetting something totally vital (like when mark and Jeremy don't have potatoes on peep show haha) :rofl:
Could you ladies throw some suggestions at me?! Then I can start compiling a proper list and get really organised. Oh, and any other extras you all have, either as part of the big Christmas meal or as snacks/breakfast etc, I love food ideas ;)
Thanksss!! :flower:

How many are you catering for?

Are you dressing the table? If so:
Runner, place mats, coasters, napkins, tealight holders
Plates, bowls, knives, forks, spoons, glasses.

Meal
Potatoes (enough for mash & roasties)
Carrots
Parsnips
Green beans
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Brussels
Peas
Cabbage
Stuffing
Yorkshire puddings
Beef
Gammon or pork
Chicken or turkey
Pigs in blankets
Gravy
Applesauce
Cranberry sauce
Mint sauce

I normally do a fry-up or crumpets for breakfast. Might do homemade waffles this year as I bought OH a waffle maker last year.
Appetisers are a no go as we're full from breakfast.
Dinner is the list minus brussels.
Desert is a cheesecake, gateaux or something, but thinking of making a nutella filo cups or rolls and jam tarts.
Tea is different crackers with cheeses and left over dinner.

Adding on to the list above -

Xmas crackers (the ones you pull)
Foil
Stuff to serve with dessert; cream, custard, etc
Drinks

My god thank you so much what absolute stars!! All this is getting noted down! It's just going to be me (heavily pregnant), DH, DS and SIL who is coming from abroad and hasn't had a proper British trad Christmas so I'd want to do it for her even if I didn't want to do it just for me (which I do! Haha)

Make sure you have big enough pots/pans/baking trays.

We usually have
Turkey
Lamb or Beef (only if have guests this we aren't)
Roast Potatoes (lots of them)
Roast carrots and parsnips
Broccoli (DD2 only eats this)
Carrots (boiled for DC)
Stuffing
Yorkshire
Pigs in blankets
Cranberry sauce

Desert depends on what we pick up food shopping

Breakfast used to be salmon and scrambled egg buy now just whatever we can get the kids to actually eat (crumpets, cereal)

Love the salmon and scrambled egg idea. Could do that for DS without the salmon and he'd have it!
We normally have croissants and different jams on Christmas morning, I think I'll probably do that as well since it's so easy to do but I could definitely go for egg and smoked salmon 😍

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->