Bit of a daft question

Staceysparkle

Reaction score
Hi girls

This is probably a really stupid question but I am considering a home water birth and just doing some research at the moment and I was panicing at the thought of how I would manage after the birth if we needed help with bubs?

I know that after a hospital birth you are shown how to change, bath and given help with breastfeeding and I was worried that I wouldnt know what to do if me and OH were left to our own devices. I feel so stupid asking this but I am such a worrier and started picturing me and OH freaking out that we weren't doing something right and not being able to ask a midwife for help like in a hospital?

in the uk you get visits from midwife and or health visitor for ten days after baby arrives they can help answer any questions or show you how type thing :)

and by the way no questions are stupid if your unsure of something ALWAYS ask, if you dont ask thats stupid x

After my home birth the midwives stayed for about 2 hours and helped me with starting with the breastfeeding. In our area, they tell you to wait until the cord comes off before the first bath (even though Alex was born in water!!!), so I rang the midwife on the day it happened (day 6) and she came round to the house to show us how to do it. If you had a normal birth in hospital, you could be out the same day (depending on what time of the day you deliver) or the next day. I think I had either a health visitor or a midwife round every day for about 4 or 5 days after (one came to check my stitches, another to do some paperwork (red book), another to give me my anti-D injection (I'm Rhesus negative). Hopefully you'll also have family visiting too, so you'll be getting lots of advice/help from them too. You'll probably find that during the first few days your baby will be asleep most of the time (getting over the birth themselves!!).

Have you attended any antenatal classes or signed up for NCT classes at all? All your concerns could be discussed at those sessions, but obviously you can ask all your questions on here too! xxx

Here in Canada, the midwife will stay with you for 3 to 4 hours after the birth. During that time they'll help with breastfeeding and give you some tips. They'll talk to you about what to expect in regards to the baby's behavior such as what their respirations should be like, what their behaviour should be like, what usual sleeping patterns are like... They also go over common concerns and reasons to page... The midwives here are available on call 24/7 for the first 6 weeks postpartum if you have concerns. They also come visit during the first day (usually around 18 to 24 hours after the birth) to check up on things, and they'll continue to visit you on day 3 and 5 and 7-9... If you're having breastfeeding problems though or other concerns they will visit you more frequently, even every day for the first week if necessary.

Over here your midwife looks after you for the first 6 weeks postpartum until you are handed over to a plunket nurse (hv). I think they visit you at least 10 times in 6 weeks. If you had a natural birth in hospital, you'd be out within 4-5 hours anyway. After leaving you after the birth, they will usually be back for their first postpartum visit within 24 hours. Having your first baby is such a learning curve. If you have a supportive midwife, if you have any problems I'm sure they would be happy to come around and help.

Thanks girls :) I'm only 14 weeks so my antenatal classes wont be starting for a while yet so I just wanted to get as much info as I can just now. I would really love a homebirth but OH isnt sure about it so I'm trying to convince him at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->