Bit of a rant-lending money

cath

Reaction score
Sorry but just needed to get this off my chest. Just over a year ago, a couple that we are good friends with were having money problems and asked DH to lend them 1000 euros. At the time I had a few thousand in savings. I was dead set against the idea but DH persuaded me to lend it to them. Fast forward to present day & our savings have completely gone as hubbys lost his job due to the recession & is only doing a bit of casual labour here & there. Although I earn a very good wage, the cost of living here is pretty high & we're surviving on 1 wage so could really do with the money back. We are managing day to day but only just-there's no money for savings or luxuries-we spend all my wage every month just on food, bills etc We havent asked them for the money back yet,but they know that we're struggling & havent offered to pay us back anything:growlmad: I know that they're struggling too but its been over a year & they havent paid us anything at all back. If they'd just put 10 euros a week aside from the day they'd borrowed the money, they'd have about 600 euros & would be well on the way to paying us back. They've never made any mention of the money at all,not even to say that they're trying to get it together but it might take a bit longer. The other day, I went round to their house & they'd been to IKEA & spent about 100 euros on stuff for the house & it got me sooooooo mad- I just kept thinking 'thats not your money to spend, its mine' I just feel like a mug & I'm upset because its affecting the way I feel about them- I thought we were friends but friends dont take the piss out of each other like this. I'm also a bit mad at DH coz I warned him this would happen & he didnt listen & persuaded me otherwise, should have just ignored him & gone with my instincts.Anyway,congrats if you got this far, thanks for reading, I feel a bit better now I have got it off my chest

Aw hun, I've done the same thing. Never again. Can't say anything cos the friend is just as skint as us but still need the money and cant bring it up...

Your OH sounds like a nice person, he sounds a bit like my sis, always sees the good in everyone :D

Sorry not much help lol, just thought I would share your pain...
xxx

Another one here who has been burned....to the tune of £800 and I will never ever do it again.

You have my sympathy, it is a horrible situation to be :hugs:

xxx

It's a horrible situation, but maybe you need to be honest with them? Prehaps they have forgotten?

I am always fairly open to lending money, and have been burnt in the past, and I found that most people don't take it too bad when you ask for it back - especially if you need it!

Fingers crossed it'll get sorted soon!

Thanks everyone &:hugs: to those of you that have done the same. I'm feeling better about it today. I've told DH he has to ask them for it back (he agreed to lend it to them so he has to do the dirty work & ask for it back!) It just annoyed me because we shouldnt have to remind them, if I owed them money, I'd have been going without stuff to make sure it was payed back as quickly as possible whereas I know they havent saved anything towards paying us back. The most annoying thing is they've borrowed the money off us(interest free) and because they havent paid it back, I've had to go into my overdraft & am getting charged for it. However, I'm not going to let it bother me anymore, Im just going to get him to ask for it back & see what happens.

Hey,
My o.h is like this, he's managed to lend well over a £1000 and only ever got £300 back!
Ask your o.h to speak to them saying you could really do with it back and if they are struggling they can do it by £10 every four weeks and set up a direct debit so you know your definatly going to get it.
x

:hug:Never been in this situation myself, but I know I'd be really annoyed by it.
To be honest, if they felt comfortable enough to ask you to lend them the money then they shouldn't be offended if you ask for it back, don't apologise for asking for it back because its yours! Do they realise you have money issues? because perhaps they don't fully understand your situation, if they were good friends and realised you were struggling you'd hope they'd do everything in their power to get you as much of the money back asap.:hug:

I would ask, 10euros a week isnt much to pay back if you can afford to go on shopping sprees to IKEA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->