Bit of a weird question...

KyaK

Reaction score
For those of you who have lost someone you love, do you do anything for Christmas for them?

I'd like to do something special to remember my dad but i'm not sure what?

I lost my older brother in Oct 2010 to Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, he was just 31 years old.
Christmas was a time of year he loved, we always visit the cemetery a few days before Christmas Day with a real holly wreath to place on his grave, we also buy some of the small outside LED decorations and put them there too and always buy a Christmas memorial card and put it with the wreath
I also bought a remembrance bauble for the Christmas tree that we put on each year.

You could buy a charity donation and donate it in his honour. You could light a special candle for him or have a special ornament for the tree. Christmas can be tough when it makes you miss those who are gone :hugs:

We put some Christmas plates or a wreath on my nans memorial

we always put something (like a holly wreath) on my nephew's grave each year, although that's more for the anniversary of his death, which is mid-December. My sister and her other children put a little Christmas tree on there for him. A lot of the family put things on there for him and I think it helps everyone (but especially my sister and her family) to see that other people are thinking of him, too.

I do not have the option to put anything on a grave. Unfortunately his mum (my grandma) kept his ashes and has cut contact with me since the funeral. It's a bit of a sore subject for me right now. So yeah I was thinking more something I can do at home.

Our local hospice has a tree where you pay and write a message and put on the tree I always do this xx

My dad mentions my brother at Christmas dinner but that's it really. I think the best way to remember someone is to live your life as well as possible and keep them as a happy memory and to honour them with your own life. Did your dad have a particular tradition associated with him, like a favourite Christmassy food or a present he'd always receive? Cos you could incorporate that, like if your dad forever got a pair of socks at Christmas you could all gift each other a pair as a way of remembering, but being happy about it, you know? Don't lose out of traditions that your dad would have pushed for, like maybe playing a particular game or whatever. And if there was nothing that stood out as his at Christmas, perhaps light a candle for him before Christmas dinner and have a toast to his life.

Oh, and we often donate to The Smile Train (my brother was born with a cleft lip and palate) in his honour. I assume your dad died of something other than old age, perhaps you could find a charity associated with it and help others in similar situations, like Calendar Girls and the sofa, but a little less dramatic.

I thought this was quite sweet.
https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/modocreative/product/personalised-wooden-memory-star

For Devin who we lost in 2009 we always get a Decoration with his name on every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->