Bit premature I know but..

Floralaura

Reaction score
We are starting to TTC this month and due to DSs's birth I have been going over in my head how I want number 3 to be..
I am 28, have a BMI of 31, had GD in my last birth and have had a 10lb+ Baby.
My 1st labour was with only g&a and coped very well 1st contraction to birth was 5.30 hours and just had to be cut at the last min, I only lushed for 28mins and delivered a 8lb 8oz Baby.
My 2nd labour was awful..I had GD so was induced at 40+1..my birth plan was basically 'leave me alone, I want to be left and I will do it myself with no drugs' It ended up with a epidural that only half worked, bags and bags of various drips, pethandine, anti sickness injections, pethadine and other stuff I cant remmebr..I was terrified. LO got in distress and a almost c-section but I managed to get him out. I had hyperstimulation from the induction so I had contractions every 2 mins lasting a min for 25hrs before delivering, although my actual labour was only 5.29 mins from start to finish, I pushed for 14 mins and delivered a 10lb 3oz Baby who was taken to special care as he wasnt breathing, luckily he was fine and came back to me a few hours later.
I was told afterwards that my next Baby would be delivered at 38 weeks via c-section, thats NOT what I want!
I know that I can cope with labour (from DS1) I know I can push big Babies out (from DS2) and I know I labour quickly after 4cms (form both DS's)..so I dont want a section.
I had wanted to breast feed DS2 and they took him away from me to scbu at 6mins old and give him bottles and then when they brought him back at 5hrs old they told me what time to give him his next one and that was that..no one even asked me about it and I was so drained I didnt protest or ask for help, I sat in my cubicle with my top open and LO held near me and I didnt know what to do and I gave up before I even tried :cry:
I need it to be different this time but I don't know how..I have already been told by the GP about the zillion and two GTT tests I will have thrust upon me as soon as I get a BFP, how I will be referred straight to a consultant and wont 'need' a MW, how even if I dont get GD as I have had a large Baby I need a consultant anyway, how my other option is Induction at 38 weeks, how if I dont follow guidelines I will put us all at risk, how bad its going to be basically.
In a idea world I would love to have a water birth, either at home or in hospital..I hated being strapped to a bed for 24hrs, it was torture..to the point I am scared about TTC. I have been looking at doulas, have found one who is in my area, a trainee one..I am considering contacting her to see how it all works as my OH just kinda sat back and was a bit useless with DS2 (OH is very anti needles/blood/gore etc..he nearly passed out when they took my blood lol)..also chances are as OH will have to look after the kids I would have to give birth alone other than the MW/DR/Spectators which I dont like the idea of.
I have just realised this is a very long post and I havent even made a point, I dont think I have a point..I just needed a rant to get it all off my chest. I think I just need to go through all my options of what I can have..It just seems my BMI/Big Baby/Previous GD will make this hard for me to get the birth I want without a fight, if I am going to fight then I need to be prepared, to know what I am fighting for and why and what the risks are.
I come in here and read all the birth stories and I am jealous and really want that for me and I think I have to start now before the BFP so I can go armed with exactly how I want it to be..so here I am, getting my birth (You watch I wont conceive for ages yet lol).

I am not sure how it works in the UK so cannot give specific advice. I just wanted to let you know that I am proud of you for thinking ahead and wanting to stand up for yourself this time. You can have your natural birth if you set your mind to it. I have known women who have naturally birthed 10 lb + babies and did great.

Hi there fellow Welshie.

Sorry that you are just about to TTC and you are full of trepidation regarding getting the birth you want.

i have found the following https://www.homebirth.org.uk/gd.htm it talks about peoples experiences giving birth at home with GD

Personally, if you are dreading another assisted hospital birth, and you are confident on what you are capable of doing (which it sounds like you are) i would stick to your guns lady and really get some support from your local community MW team.

I wouldn't discuss anything first off with your Dr or any consultant, and make sure your booking in appointment is completed by a caring community MW. At your booking in appointment talk to her about what you would like to achieve from this birth and find out from her what obstacles are likely to be in your way. Stick to your guns on making sure that she helps you at least try and find ways around any issues there are at this time.

At least when you are presented with all the info you can go off and do some research to come back with a supporting argument.

I have little knowledge of your situation however I'm sure someone will be able to offer you some really useful advice.

Good luck xxxx

OMG! They gave him a bottle without even asking you how you wanted to feed?? That is awful. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that after having a traumatic birth. I can't really offer any advice either as I have no experience of GD but I would echo what diz says about looking at homebirth.org and speaking to your CMW early on about the birth you want and how you can achieve it :hug:

Hi there fellow Welshie.

Sorry that you are just about to TTC and you are full of trepidation regarding getting the birth you want.

i have found the following https://www.homebirth.org.uk/gd.htm it talks about peoples experiences giving birth at home with GD

Personally, if you are dreading another assisted hospital birth, and you are confident on what you are capable of doing (which it sounds like you are) i would stick to your guns lady and really get some support from your local community MW team.

I wouldn't discuss anything first off with your Dr or any consultant, and make sure your booking in appointment is completed by a caring community MW. At your booking in appointment talk to her about what you would like to achieve from this birth and find out from her what obstacles are likely to be in your way. Stick to your guns on making sure that she helps you at least try and find ways around any issues there are at this time.

At least when you are presented with all the info you can go off and do some research to come back with a supporting argument.

I have little knowledge of your situation however I'm sure someone will be able to offer you some really useful advice.

Good luck xxxx

Hi, there! I am in North Wales to, where abouts are you?
Thank you for the link I will make that tonights bedtime reading! Its not so much I want to do it at home but if I do it in hospital I want it to be both safe but good for me, it all went wrong with DS2 which panicked me which I think made things and the pain a lot worse.
As far as my GP I dont know how to get around her, I have already been instructed to go see her the moment I get a BFP and I 'have' to have GTT's at 6/10/14/18/22/26/30/34/38 weeks presuming they are negative but WHO guidelines say for a pregnancy after a GD one to be tested at 16 and 28 weeks..so you can see the kind of GP I have :dohh: Theres only the one in my village though so not got much option. To get a MW I think I have to go through her too and shes aldready said I wont be given to a MW as I wont need one, what with the complicated pregnancy I am going to have :dohh:
I *HOPE* I dont get GD again, my BMI with DS2 was 38 :blush: so I am down by 7 point and about 3 stones so I am hoping that will help..I was told my GD was mild last time but then got a 10lber so they changed their minds on that.
So I think I will have to make myself some notes and spreadsheets and put them all together so the day I go to tell her I have my BFP I can also tell her how its going to work :haha:
Thanks for the reply..x

OMG! They gave him a bottle without even asking you how you wanted to feed?? That is awful. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that after having a traumatic birth. I can't really offer any advice either as I have no experience of GD but I would echo what diz says about looking at homebirth.org and speaking to your CMW early on about the birth you want and how you can achieve it :hug:

Yep, in my birth plan I stated that although I was ready to bottle feed I would like to be given the chance to try breast feeding during skin to skin after delivery, that I did not want to be pressured into it but gently helped..
Instead he was born with a apgar of 3, he was flung onto my chest for seconds until the people ran in with the incubator threw him in it and off they went..I next saw him hours later and was told he had been fed twice and that he needed his next bottle at x o'clock and they would be round 20 mins after that to heel prick him (To check his blood sugar cause of the GD).
I wanted to try it, alone..but had no idea what to do, I sat there with a boob out and kinda held him against me and then just cried as it had all been too much for me and I didnt know what to do. So that was kind of the end of that..I think I wouldnt have felt as bad if I had been given the chance to try and failed, its the fact it was taken away iykwim? :flower: x

I recommend a doula. They can help you negotiate with your care providers beforehand, support you during labour, help make sure your voice is heard and help you with things like BF when the baby is born. Sometimes, all you need to know is WHERE to find the info you need... or someone to listen to you and encourage you.

I'm so sorry it didn't go how you wanted last time. Best of luck for this next one! :flower:

Hi there fellow Welshie.

Good luck xxxx

Hi, there! I am in North Wales to, where abouts are you?
Thank you for the link I will make that tonights bedtime reading! Its not so much I want to do it at home but if I do it in hospital I want it to be both safe but good for me, it all went wrong with DS2 which panicked me which I think made things and the pain a lot worse.
As far as my GP I dont know how to get around her, I have already been instructed to go see her the moment I get a BFP and I 'have' to have GTT's at 6/10/14/18/22/26/30/34/38 weeks presuming they are negative but WHO guidelines say for a pregnancy after a GD one to be tested at 16 and 28 weeks..so you can see the kind of GP I have :dohh: Theres only the one in my village though so not got much option. To get a MW I think I have to go through her too and shes aldready said I wont be given to a MW as I wont need one, what with the complicated pregnancy I am going to have :dohh:
I *HOPE* I dont get GD again, my BMI with DS2 was 38 :blush: so I am down by 7 point and about 3 stones so I am hoping that will help..I was told my GD was mild last time but then got a 10lber so they changed their minds on that.
So I think I will have to make myself some notes and spreadsheets and put them all together so the day I go to tell her I have my BFP I can also tell her how its going to work :haha:
Thanks for the reply..x

Im in Ruthin - Denbighshire..where are you?

Why is she being so OTT with your GTT's? Can you not insist that you are happy to come under consultancy care if the need arrises, and you are happy to have additional GTT's if the need arrises, but until that time you wish to proceed with midwifery led care following the WHO guidelines?

You need some one to help you fight your owner. I agree that Doula could be the answer - especially if you get no where with your GP.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->