Bleeding and low HCG levels - Is it because of late implantation? *UPDATE*

Louloubelle78

Reaction score
Hi everyone and sorry in advance for the long post.

Last week I thought we were successful as I felt so rough, had cramps and other signs of pregnancy that I had when I was pregnant with my son. On Friday I tested and it was BFN. Saturday morning I was devastated as I started what I thought was my period (which was due that day), however it was so much lighter (light to medium flow) and had no cramps. It stopped abruptly on Sunday night which further made me think it was weird. On a whim I tested in the early hours of yesterday (monday) morning (as I couldn't sleep) on a FRER and had what I thought was a faint BFP! A few hours later I did another test on another brand (Forelife) with different urine and also got another faint BFP (I will attach both photos of the test to this below this post)!

Literally an hour after taking the 2nd test I started to spot watery pink blood. It was there when I wiped with hardly any staining on the pad (sorry tmi).

I went to my GP, and explained that I just took 2 tests, both came positive however I was now spotting. I also said that I tested on Friday and that it was negative and only got the positives today. He said that some bleeding was fine but that we should do an urgent blood test. He also said I should try to rest as much as possible and signed me off this week (I did however go into my office yesterday - maybe I shouldn't have- but I stayed home today).

I had to go in (luckily the medical centre is opposite our apartment) and get my results in person as they would not give it to me over the phone but my regular GP was not there in the evening and I had to see another one.

My results were at 12 hcg which are low and he bluntly told me that basically I am experiencing a chemical pregnancy and that I should go home, wait for a big bleed and then try again!!!! I could not believe it! I tried to ask if my numbers were so low as it may be because I have only just implanted and that maybe it was too early however he said no it was definitely a chemical due to the date of my LMP and that there was no point to do the 2nd bloods that my regular GP had me booked to do on Thursday.

I am absolutely gutted. Last night I did have more spotting which was watery bright red, but only when wiping. It's since stopped and I have checked my cervix and its medium high, soft and closed.

Am I clutching at straws? I can't get any more tests until tomorrow evening as my OH gets paid then. I still feel very light cramps and a pulling/tugging sensation plus tiredness just as I felt with my other pregnancy, however other than that I have no symptoms. Does anyone have any similar experiences? Am I right in thinking I may have implanted late and this is what is causing the low hcg and bleeding?

Thanks in advance X

FRER with 1st morning urine:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 56
Forelife test with 2nd or 3rd morning urine:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 36
I had a chemical pregnancy before and like you I was spotting all day. My doc however took two blood tests but the hcg levels just went up from 104 to 112 when they were supposed to double. Taking progesterone tablets to stop the spotting also did not work . I think you can ask for another repeat blood test to see if your values double. And completely try to rest.

Have you retested? If it's a chenical your test would likely be negative by now, if the lines stronger Id be pushing for more bloods

Thanks ladies for your replies.

Yes I am not doing anything - I have sat in my PJs all day! 2 of my bosses at work know what's going on, however I feel like I'm being pushed to go in tomorrow even though I really can't face it, and also have a Drs note signing me off for the rest of the week telling me to take it easy.

I haven't taken another test - however I have just sent my OH to go and get me one for me to do first thing tomorrow morning. I am terrified at what the results may be. I have not had a bleeding today, just (sorry tmi) lots of yellow CM and just had really little blink and you'll miss them cramps. Also my boobs have started to ache this evening and have a slight headache - however I am second guessing myself and thinking I am manifesting symptoms.

I guess I will have some idea tomorrow morning :(

So top test was taken today (Wednesday) with FMU (tbf there wasn't a lot as I didn't really need to go) the bottom one was Monday's with FMU.

They are both pink and brighter in real life (I have a cracked lens on my iPhone).

Can't really tell any difference between them tbh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 68
Ok because I was so fed up with FRER giving me super faint lines I have taken the plunge and got a digital. I used my 3rd urine of the day that I held for around 2 hours.

And got this! This must mean that my HCG must be higher than 12 now for this to register and fits in with my theory that I implanted late?
(We did the deed only once this month on the 5th, and my Period tracker app said I ovulated that day, but I'm now thinking I was a few days Lae)

I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but I'm less stressed that it was all in my head and can now wait until I get my 2nd bloods done tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 48
Hi hun, I think your doc gave you duff advice - you can't possibly say whether hcg should be higher based on date of lmp! It depends completely on when you O and when you implanted. Hcg could easily be as low as 12 as much as 16 dpo - hcg doubles every 48 hours average during early pregnancy so if you implanted on, say, 9 dpo (normal) and started with a level of 1, hcg would be 2 at 11 dpo, 4 at 13 dpo, 8 at 15 dpo, 16 at 17 dpo...

I had a little bleed when my AF was due this time too, and the fact your bleeding was never heavy and has now stopped points more to a successful pregnancy. Not trying to get your hopes up unnecessarily, but that digi is more positive than what I've written! Lol.

Good luck hun x

Best of luck for the bloods hun, everything crossed for you x

Hi hun, I think your doc gave you duff advice - you can't possibly say whether hcg should be higher based on date of lmp! It depends completely on when you O and when you implanted. Hcg could easily be as low as 12 as much as 16 dpo - hcg doubles every 48 hours average during early pregnancy so if you implanted on, say, 9 dpo (normal) and started with a level of 1, hcg would be 2 at 11 dpo, 4 at 13 dpo, 8 at 15 dpo, 16 at 17 dpo...

I had a little bleed when my AF was due this time too, and the fact your bleeding was never heavy and has now stopped points more to a successful pregnancy. Not trying to get your hopes up unnecessarily, but that digi is more positive than what I've written! Lol.

Good luck hun x

Thanks so much Everything! This is exactly what I thought, but the GP I saw was having none of it! Luckily my normal GP is back and he actually listened to me and said its definitely possible and that I am just super early. I also messed up on the dates of my LMP anyway and actually came on 3 days later than I thought I did, so that would also explain a few things too!

Best of luck for the bloods hun, everything crossed for you x

Thanks LoraLoo! Just had them done and will get the results this evening!
I am hoping they have doubled - the digi yesterday gave me some reassurance. But because I am a lunatic and obviously cannot be trusted, I was still wondering why my FRERs have been so faint.

So I went out and bought another FRER (I know, I know!) just to see if it will finally get darker just for my own sanity. And the line came up within a few seconds and is so much darker than the ones I took on Monday (top) Tuesday (middle). Today's test is last in the pic :).

Ok will step away from the tests now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 54
:yipee::yipee:Got my results back and it's 58 - more than double! 12 hcg on Monday morning to 58 today (Thursday).

My GP was extremely happy with the results and said "Congratulations you are definitely pregnant and consider yourself safe as the numbers are more than double and se to be rising well"

So happy and now finally I can enjoy my morning sickness :yipee::haha::haha:

Thanks ladies for you support xx

Congratulations! I had some light bleeding the day after my bfp and thought I had lost the baby. However I am now almost 15 weeks so it's certainly possible to have bleeding soon after a bfp and go on to have a healthy pregnancy. Glad your doc is being more helpful than the other one!

Fantastic! Keep sticking little one 😊

Great news, here's hoping for a sticky baby!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->