Bleeding and Strep B + (GBS) connection or coincidence?

ksilme

Reaction score
Hi, not sure where to start, firstly, would like to apologise in advance for the long post, but I am at a loss and thought here was my best bet to finding an answer maybe?

Tuesday 24th, I started spotting, I thought I was 7+1, I text my midwife, it eased off.
Wednesday 25th, I had a reply from the midwife saying she had booked me in for an emergency scan on the Friday. The blood had turned brown and it wasn't much. In the afternoon, it turned red again and was more. It eased off again in the evening.
Thursday 26th, daughter spent the day with my mum, I stayed home and rested. It was red blood, and heavier than the day before but still not heavy, had to wear a pad to protect underwear though.
Friday 27th, red blood in the morning. Scan at 11am, everything looked absolutely perfect, right place, great heartbeat, no cause for bleeding, measured 7+1. Bleeding got heavier, but kind of expected that, seeing as it was a transvaginal scan. Sonographer said if it carried on, get checked again, and suggested getting cervix checked.
Saturday/Sunday, felt a bit reassured, still concerned by bleeding though, it started heavier after the scan, but had started to ease off again. Lost a couple of small clots.
Monday 30th, phoned doctors to make an appt to have cervix checked. no bleeding all morning, early afternoon started bleeding again. Went to the doctors at 3.40, checked cervix, no polyps, no sign of erosion/ectroption etc, everything looked fine. Bled during exam, but she said the blood wasn't pouring out. She did a swab 'while she was there' to be on the safe side. told me that if I was still bleeding after easter to phone back. after the exam, the bleeding got heavier again.
Tuesday 31st, bleeding still heavier but not heavy. maybe a third to half a pad in a couple of hours.
Wednesday 1st, still bleeding/spotting. Get a phone call at 5pm, saying the results of my swab had come back and I needed antibiotics and to collect the prescription, but couldn't tell me what it was for!! Obviously, I was not happy with this, so went down to ask, the receptionist looked at the screen and read it out to me - swab returned, positive, group B strep. That is all I was told. Got prescription for Phenoxymethylpenicillin, and went home and researched group B strep, only to find horror stories, and that I would need antibiotics in labour as can cause problems for baby. But why was I being treated now? I still don't know! I asked my step sister, who is a midwife, and she repeated that I would need the anti-B's in labour, but said it shouldn't cause the bleeding, and I couldn't find any info on this. started the meds that night.
Thursday 2nd, no or very little bleeding in the morning. Went for a walk for little sister's birthday, pushing daughter in pram. after walking a mile or so, I felt myself bleeding. It wasn't heavy but was enough. walked the rest of the way, another 1.5-2 miles. That night, there was red blood filling half the pad, and when I went to the loo before bed, I had lost quite a big clot, was just blood, no tissue.
Friday 3rd, very little bleeding overnight or in morning, but phoned on call midwife for advice about the clot from the night before. She booked me in for another scan, earliest appt was tuesday 7th as easter weekend, but kept saying about miscarriage. Tried my doppler out of curiosity, as with my daughter, heard her hb at 9 weeks, so wasn't expecting anything but tried. Couldn't find anything, but had a small gush of blood - probably from the pressure, spotted/bled lightly for rest of evening.
Saturday 4th (today), 8+2 by first scan, very very light spotting so far today and overnight. Almost half way through dose of meds. Cannot wait til Tuesday, just want to see that heartbeat (fingers crossed).

I don't know whether the bleeding getting lighter is due to the meds stopping something? or coincidence.

Can being GBS positive cause bleeding?

Has anyone been through this or similar?

It seems to get worse after doing stuff or internals, surely this wouldn't be the case if I was miscarrying?

I've no experience with this hun. I'm so sorry for all your bleeding. How terribly worrying. I also though strep B was only a problem in labour and wouldn't think it was cause the bleeding. If baby is all okay as the scan showed, it's maybe a subchrionic haematoma. Sorry I can't be more of a help to you. I hope the scan goes well on Tuesday

I'm sorry I have no idea on whether strep B can cause bleeding, but I didn't want to read and run. I know there are lots of women on here who have lots of bleeding early on though, some with clots and everything turns out to be fine. I really hope the scan goes well and shows bubs with a nice little HB again on Tuesday :hugs: x

I have no idea but I didnt want to read and run.. Im praying for you and your little bean.. I hope you go for you scan tomorrow and all is well.. Hope your bleeding stops today.. Although I have heard of woman bleeding through the first 10 weeks of pregnancy and babies being just fine.. So hopefully that gives you some reassurance..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->