Bleeding before BFP.. Docs are confused too...

SaraSmiles13

Reaction score
Good Morning Ladies!

I just wanted to share my story to see if anyone has experienced something similar.

My DH and I have been TTC. A week before my period was due, I started bleeding. It seemed a bit different than a normal period, but it was heavy enough to need pads and it lasted 6-7 days. I have a very regular 28 day cycle so this was unusual to have my period a full 7 days early. On the day that my period would have normally been due, the bleeding had stopped so I took a hpt. There was a VERY faint positive. I made an appointment with my doc and they did the HCG blood test. First test came back positive but low, at 38. Two days later they took another blood test to see if my levels would double, and they tripled, now up to 118. This was a good sign that I was not actively miscarrying, but no one can guess as to why I bled for a week straight a whole week BEFORE my period was due.. I don't believe implantation bleeding is ever that long or heavy and this was bright red blood most of the time.

I do have a history of ovarian cysts and I was told during my last pregnancy that I have fibroids as well. Could any of these things cause that much bleeding?

I am obviously happy that my HCG is increasing appropriately, but I am still nervous and worried about the unexplained bleeding that I had. Any insight? Thanks so much!

Yes, I am currently 31 weeks along with my fifth baby. All of my other pregnancies have been straightforward... Some spotting in first trimester, but never any implantation bleeding or anything. This time, I had my "period" come on CD28. My cycles were between 30 and 45 days long at the time, but I had a full, heavy (normal for me), 5-day normal period bleed. I figured I wasn't pregnant since I had my period... until a couple days later when I felt very strong stretching pains. I always get them between 4 and 5 weeks along. 2 weeks after the "period" started, I got a very strong BFP. I know when I ovulated and when I conceived because I only DTD once in that entire 6 weeks time. My embryo measured small in the beginning but caught up with my dates quickly and has continued to match my original due date. Like I said, I'm 31 weeks along now, so whatever weirdness was going on in the beginning hasn't meant anything.

Thank you for your reply Xdxxtx!! When you said the embryo measured small, could they tell that at the first ultrasound? My first ultrasound is next month, to check for a heartbeat, etc. Were doctors ever worried? Did you ever get any sort of explanation for the "period" before the positive?

My friend experienced your exact scenario. Full period like bleed just about a week before AF was due. It WAS implantation bleeding, according to her doctor, just unusual. She was monitored just a little more closely because of it, but her baby girl will be 2 this August sonit all turned out well.

It's isn't usual or typical for this kind of bleeding, but it does happen.

Thank you MEPride! They checked my HCG to make sure they were increasing, but beyond that, I don't think they are going to do anything else as far as monitoring goes.. Of course I am supposed to call them if I have any more red bleeding but I am just anxiously waiting for my first u/s and to hopefully see that heartbeat!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->