Bleeding/spotting and strep b +

Chrissy1437

Reaction score
I'm new here and not really sure that I'm posting this In the right place and realize this story might get a little long (and will probably have some tmi moments) but I would really like some advice or to hear about any similar stories that might put my mind at rest some.

I have an 8 year old son and never had any bleeding or problems during my pregnancy with him so this is all very new to me even though I have heard it is normal and common I am still very scared. On the 21st I had a gush of blood erupt from me that soaked the whole front of my pants. It was bright red and very much like when your period starts out of nowhere when you haven't had one in a while. I do have irregular periods and didn't have one for 2 months before I found out I was pregnant and that's probably the shortest amount of time I've had between periods. I was convinced that I was having a miscarriage. I had some slight cramping but I have had that since the beginning along with slight twinges in my vagina.

We went to the emergency room where they did an ultrasound and blood work. They said that my cervix is closed and that they did find a heartbeat and that I was a little over 6 weeks. Sent me off saying I had a threatened miscarriage. My first obgyn appt was the next day (22nd) where she went over the scans from the er and did an exam. She said my cervix was still closed and my hcg levels were very good and she didn't think that there was a problem. By this time my bleeding had significantly slowed..turned brown which she assured me was old blood and okay...and it is only there when I wipe so it's not a lot. 2 days ago they called me and told me that I have a bladder infection from strep b and put me on antibiotics.

I understand the risks and problems that could be associated with strep b and babies but right now I am just trying to get through the next week til my ultrasound on May 5th. The bleeding makes me very nervous and it is killing me not knowing what is going on. I was wondering if the bleeding could be associated with the strep b. It's my understanding that since It is in my urine that I probably have high amounts of the bacteria and wondering if this could be the cause.

I have had a similar story. I had spotting and small gush of blood at 5w1d. Went to ER, everything looked fine. Cervix closed, baby in uterus not ectopic. U/s just showed yok sack couldn't verify viability so went in for u/s at 6w2d baby was fine strong heartbeat. (I have been on progesterone since 4w4d due to having luteal phase defect aka low progesterone.)

At 8w1d I got a call that I had a bladder infection with group b (sounds just like you). I was put on antibiotics to make the group b inactive and clear the bladder infection (they wouldn't have treated the infection if I didn't have group b).
Then 8w5d I had a medium/large gush of blood. Went to ER again, everything was good again. I spotted until 10w3d (crossing fingers it is done for good).

I do suspect there could be some connection but it could have just been the infection leaving the body. I also have a tilted uterus and suspect some bleeding was my uterus shifting to where it should be.

Best things I have found to keep spotting/bleeding away is to keep feet up as much as possible (I can only be on my feet for about 4-5 hours at a time then must put them up.) no physical exertion (walking is ok but that's about it) and lots and lots of water. Oh and don't stress! I have a blood pressure monitor at home so when I start to stress I use that to make sure I calm down.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Thank you! It helps to know somebody has been through something similar. I've been reading any and all posts I can find and nothing sounds quite like what happened and what I'm experiencing. My bleeding is slowing down and I'm hoping that it's going to end soon since it's been 5 days and I've been hoping the antibiotics would help if it was infection related. I've been trying to keep my feet up but I work 10.5 hr shifts 4 days a week (night shift) and the only rest I get during the week is when I sleep after work lol. Crossing my fingers til my ultrasound in 8 days. I hope that things stay good for you and everything goes well from here on out!

How are you doing did the spotting stop yet? I spotted for about 13 days (talk about freaking out!)
Hope all is well glad I could help.

Eh. Hasn't completely stopped yet. Some days it seems like it is stopping and then it will come back. Going on 10 days now and still have 5 days til my ultrasound. I'm kind of just hoping it's similar to a period type of thing and I don't have to deal with it again cuz it's driving me insane lol.

Mine lasted 13days! It was so weird. The last day I had brown spotting and was my first mw appointment. She was happy to hear it was brown and hoped that meant it was stopping. That was the last day. Spotting is better than bleeding! That's what I kept telling myself. I also decided to get a Doppler so if it were to happen again I can calm myself and not rush to the ER like the last 2 times.

It could just be the period type thing. So scary. But hopefully all is well.

Def scary. Mines been brown but still doesn't seem to want to completely stop. I have a doppler from my last pregnancy but I think it's too early for me to hear anything. I did try though, thinking if I could find a heartbeat I would feel better. But nothing lol. 3 more days and I'll know for sure. I'll be sure to update.

Hope everything is still going well for you too! I was thinking that once I got to 12 weeks I was in the clear but I've read a lot of posts on here about miscarriages happening many weeks after that and then I got all nervousy again lol. I feel like this pregnancy is just going to drive me up the wall the entire time. Wish I could just enjoy being pregnant and not have problems that make me worry. *sigh*

I know exactly what you mean. I am struggling to enjoy it because I'm worried about the what ifs. But I'm at the point where my gut and heart say I will make it to full term I just need to put all my faith in God.
I feel when I start questioning if things are ok I'm questioning if God can really keep us safe and I know he can. I just need to put all my faith in that. Since I've come to that realization everything has been fine. I'm trying to stay as positive as I can and not focus on the what ifs.

Definitely Easier said than done!

Okay so I had my ultrasound today and they said everything looks great. 8w 2d and still no reason for the bleeding. Just said as long as it stays brown or pink not to worry. They also said that I have what looks like a 2nd sac in there that never developed and I asked if this could be making me bleed (been 14 days now) and he said he didn't see any bleeding around the sac so probably not but idk. Just happy everything is okay for now. Hope things are still going well for you too. :):)

Vanishing twin? My first ER dr thought the first bleeding bout could have been from that. (Never been able to confirm it though.)

We are still doing well here. Glad all is well for you too! I think over the weekend I came down with another UTI. I'm so scared to go on the meds again. Praying if it is and I end up on meds things are uneventful!

Next week I'll be in second tri! So crazy!

Yeah sounds like vanishing twin. I asked him if that could have been the cause of my bleeding and he said he didn't think so because he didn't see any bleeding around the sac..BUT when I originally had the large amount of (red) blood it was 2 weeks ago so Idk how much they can tell now. I just find it weird that they didn't mention 2 sacs when I went to the er and had u/s done there.

Glad to hear everything is still good with you and your baby! Hope you don't have another uti. I've almost planned on mine coming back a couple times at some point because I'm somewhat prone to getting uti's anyway without the help of the strep b. Second tri is awesome!! I bet you'll be worrying a lot less. I know I will feel much better when I hit that point. :)

Hi ladies, are any of you still following this? I have a similar issue :( x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"