Blighted Ovum...?

sharonfruit

Cooking my rainbow xx
Reaction score
Hey,

Hoping you guys can help me... I had some spotting on Friday night - Realllly light, it was like discharge with almost a line of red blood in it, I panicked and went straight to A&E, they did a pg test and it was positive and they booked me a scan for today (Monday) and sent me home - the Dr said it could be normal as many women spot through their pg or it could be the start of a m/c, and try not to worry (of course I worried).

Spotting continued over the weekend but there was no more red blood, just discharge with sometimes brown in it and sometimes a pinky coloured mucus. It seemed to get less and less and was only once or twice a day I was noticing it so I stopped worrying and was optimistic for the scan ... I'm 10 weeks + 1 day btw!

Well I went to the scan and it turns out there was no baby there, just a sac. :nope: I'm so upset now and confused, the nurse said the baby stopped developing at 7 weeks maybe... but I have to go back for another scan next monday... 'just to make sure'. Has anyone had a similar experience...? How long will it take before the bleeding starts? I've had no bleeding or spotting today at all... Or will I have to have a d&c? I dont even know anything about them... :shrug: Surely if development stopped at 7 weeks its all been inside me not progressing for 3 weeks now.. Sounds like an awful long time to me. Also glad I went for the scan as so many posts say that spotting is nothing to worry about if you dont have clots or cramp (I didn't)....!

So sorry hun. I don't know much about this so all I can tell you is what I've read on here. I think when they rescan you, they'll decide on a d+c or not. Although people say not to worry unless you have clots or cramps but I think people forget there's such thing as missed miscarriage, where ladies usually go to a scan to find out they miscarried. But they has no signs of it what so ever. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope someone will post with the answers you're looking for. xx

my previous pregnancy was a blighted ovum. i had a very small amount of brown discharge at 6 weeks and went to the hospital. they did a scan and only saw the sac. they didn't officially diagnose me with it until 9 weeks (after 3 more scans). i decided to wait to miscarry naturally just in case they had made a mistake (intellectually i knew they didn't, but i still held out hope). the miscarriage didn't start till i was 13 weeks. i started bleeding extremely heavily and passed the sac in about 2 or 3 hours. i'm glad i waited and let my body do it by itself as i probably would have always wondered 'what if'.

i'm sorry you're going through this. they told me that the chances of it happening in a subsequent pregnancy is low. it's quite an emotional experience (waiting to miscarry was quite hard too). if you want to talk about it, send me a message.

Thanks for your replies, thats reassuring, I think I'd want to wait as well as I have read stuff about the risks of d&cs and it scares me a little. Not looking forward to the next scan - its going to be a long week! Congratulations on your new bean :) x

so sorry for your loss :hugs: blighted ovum is often referred to as spontaneous MC, no known reason why it happens, and like starnicole, i was informed that chances of another MC is very low. i MC my first pregnancy- i didnt find out until my dating scan which was at 11+2, but all there was, was a small sac, no baby...i had no symptoms to show something was wrong from the start, aside from low blood pressure 80/40

A lot of women on here know what you are going through and there is a lot of support in the MC support forum, the ladies in there really helped me through a very hard time.

Like others, I decided to wait to MC naturally, my thinking was that when I realised I wasn't pregnant anymore, then my body would realise too. A few days later over a period of 5-6 hours of cramps, and a few minutes of quite severe cramping, i passed everything at home naturally. I then went to the hospital as I was bleeding a lot (filling a towel in 15mins) But I am not telling you this to scare you, it's just I know how scary it can be... anyway, the nurses simply monitored me for a while and removed a few clots from my cervix ( didnt feel anything, no pain involved with that part at all) and the bleeding quickly subsided. The emotional pain of this was worse than the physical pain.

I just want to send you lots of hugs and wish you luck for the future, it does get easier :) xx

I experienced exactly this in March this year and it was referred to as a "missed miscarriage" or MMC on the forum. It happens because little beans heart doesn't start as it should, and the pregnancy stops being viable, but for some reason the hormones keep up and so symptoms and HPTs all show you are still pregnant. It is just awful and I remember feeling really let down by my body :cry:

I elected to have a D&C because I wanted to take back control and start over with a clean slate right away (that and I couldn't stand the ongoing pg symptoms) but each to their own on that one and there really isnt a right or wrong option. Huge hugs sweetie xx

I had to have medical management as I wasn't doing it naturally and I didn't even find out till 13 weeks. I has pills which didn't work so after three days in hospital I had to have a d&c. If it ever happened again, god forbid, I would skip everything and get the d&c. I think closure is easier if you don't see anything - it would haunt me. But you should always get a rescan just in case. In the end the management of the mc is a personal choice. I'm really sorry you're going through this, as we know it's awful. Big :hugs: x

I've had two missed miscarriages. The second one never developed past the empty sac staage. It is a horrible shock to find out that all the time you have been going round thinking you were pregnant, the baby was not alive after all. It can take several weeks for your body to catch up. Both times I had no clues apart from very very light spotting. No clots, no cramps, nothing.

You can try to wait it out, but I found that too hard to do personally. The first time I had a D&C at 11 weeks, the second time I had the pills at 9 weeks. After 9 weeks the odds of the pills working go down. I would opt to go straight to D&C if you haven't miscarried naturally by 11 or 12 weeks. Also it is a lot less painful way to deal with things, I figured I had already suffered enough. It is a personal decision though and lots of women would rather stay away from hospitals and operations.

When you go back to the hospital, if they confirm the miscarriage they should talk through your options with you. It might help you if you read up on them first so you are more prepared with your own opinion. In the UK they call the operation an ERPC, rather than D&C in these cases. Same thing though. On the miscarriage board you should be able to get lots of personal experiences of all three options (surgery, pills, waiting).

I am very very sorry for your loss. I hope you are back here soon with a healthy pregnancy and I hope your ordeal is over soon. Look after yourself and take the time you need to grieve your loss.

Here is some info about the "options" that you can choose from:

https://www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk/information/management-of-miscarriage/

This is more informative

https://www.miscarriageassociation....011/05/Management-of-miscarriage-T-Oct-10.pdf

i am going through this right now. my d&c is in about 9 hours. i opted for the intervention because i am currently 8 weeks, so who knows how long it would take nature to catch up. also the daily symptoms are what is upsetting me the most, it is a constant reminder. i too need closure. wishing you the best of luck for future beanies.

So sorry your going through this. I had a blighted ovum diagnosed by ultrasound at 13.5 weeks. I had had no spotting or bleeding at all. Since I wasn't comfortable with the thought of the D & C.....I took medication to cause me to miscarry naturally. I was even on medication to control bleeding and still lost a large amount of blood and ended up anemic for awhile afterwards. I think I'd definitely go the way of the D & C next time unless my body decided to let the pregnancy go on it's own.

Thanks so much for your kind words and information, I didn't know that there were pills to help you along, will definitely research all of the options before my next appointment! xxxx

i am going through this right now. my d&c is in about 9 hours. i opted for the intervention because i am currently 8 weeks, so who knows how long it would take nature to catch up. also the daily symptoms are what is upsetting me the most, it is a constant reminder. i too need closure. wishing you the best of luck for future beanies.

Hope you are okay and best of luck for your D&C. Please let me know how it goes and how you are feeling afterwards - I'm going to try and get out and about a bit this week to take my mind off it, my pg symptoms seem to be wearing off by the day. I'm finding it really hard to speak to my OH as we are both upset and can't cheer each other up at all :cry: xxxx

the pill is basically an abortive tablet, the one i was given as prescription is actually used to treat ulcers however they discovered that it causes the uterus to contract and therefore it terminates early pregnancies. i decided not to use it as i was told there was still a 1/3 chance of needing a d&c.

the waiting was horrible, it was worse than the miscarriage itself (especially waiting a month for it to happen). i still would probably do it the same way as the miscarriage was complete and was over quite quickly. the thought of having a d&c scared me too much.

my husband and i didn't really talk much about it either (it was our second miscarriage), i just didn't know what to say and i don't think he truly understood how much it effected me emotionally.

you need to do what you are most comfortable with. if you're scared of having a d&c then don't have one (although there is always a possibility of needing one in any miscarriage).

thinking of you :hug:

I had the same thing happen :( This was in Aug 2009.
Went in at 11 wks 1 day with light light pink bleeding, the day it started out of the blue, no earlier signs. And then they did an u/s and found a sac and no baby. My numbers were insanely high so they said it was recent, but had no further answers for me :( I totally understand your pain. I was so confused, almost like how are you telling me I am not pregnant, of course I'm pregnant! I have a huge belly and have had symptoms for months now. That sort of pain. And the nurses were horribly rude, all but one of them. They kept asking if it was planned and if we wanted this pregnancy. This was my third pregnancy and yes we were trying for months. That hurt bad. They just ket saying you're young, you obviously can get pregnant, don't worry you will be pregnant again. They totally didn't sympathise that I lost 'that baby' the one I already loved... :( So anyway, I passed it naturally at home, and the pain didn't start until later that evening and got bad, very similar to labor I've been through before, contractions and all and heavy clotty blood. I spent much of that night and the next day in a hot bath for the pain and taking tylenol & using heat pads and dh rubbing my back. That pregnancy I had zero sickness but all the other symptoms, so of course this time feeling so not sick at all I can't help but worry.
I feel really badly right now for you because I know nothing anyone says makes it feel any better. Just try and keep your hopes up, you can get pregnant again. I got pregnant with my next child the same month I lost that pregnancy, so within 2 weeks or so probably. So my m/c date was also my LMP date for my next pregnancy.

I'm so sorry. I worry about this a lot. Thinking of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->