Blocked tear duct or eye infection?

Aphy

Reaction score
My 4 week old little boy keeps getting this horrible yellow gunk around his eyes. This started when he was about 5 days old while still in hospital and they said I must just keep wiping it using cotton wool and saline which I have done with no improvement. I have also tried breast milk a few times and eyedrops that my one friend was given by her paediatrician when her newborn had the same thing but these aren't helping either. I don't know what to do anymore. I have an appointment with the paediatrician in 2 weeks time but don't want to leave my little boy suffering for so long. Any suggestions?

Personally I wouldn't use anything given to you by anyone else. Even if it was prescribed by a doctor for the same thing. Eye drops are for single person use and should be thrown out after a month of being open. He may have conjunctivitis so worthwhile trying to see the doctor sooner. hope your lo is OK xxx

Baby #2 had a crusty, gunky eye for at least 3 weeks after birth. I used milk and kept massaging it but it just went away on its own in the end. It wasn't red or swollen and didn't seem to bother her so I just assumed it was a blocked duct.

If the white of the eye isn't red it is almost certainly a blocked duct. My youngest DD had it for around 9 months! Looked awful and crusty but all I could do was clean and massage it till it opened. My son had it from about 2 weeks old to about 6 weeks. It was vile and goopy but luckily the cleaning and massage worked quick for him. It's just something some babies have to deal with I'm afraid.

A nurse told me that breastmilk is most effective if you put it in the eye four times a day for at least three days. It worked to clear up my DS's crusty eye.

I saw the doctor for this when my lo was 2 weeks old and the gp said it's just a blocked duct in this case, it's largely cleared up now. Definitely see them sooner rather than later so you can treat it asap if it an infection , my doctor said a key symptom is the white of their eyes go redish. Agree with the previous poster that it's not a good idea to use other people's medicines.

I stopped using those drops so thank you ladies,I hadn't even considered the implications. Went back to just cleaning with saline when needed and so far it is improving. Only gives off a little mucus from time to time. The White of his eye is definitely not red at all so don't think its infection. Someone mentioned massaging to clear the blocked duct, how did you do that?

I stopped using those drops so thank you ladies,I hadn't even considered the implications. Went back to just cleaning with saline when needed and so far it is improving. Only gives off a little mucus from time to time. The White of his eye is definitely not red at all so don't think its infection. Someone mentioned massaging to clear the blocked duct, how did you do that?

Our gp said to massage the inner corners of the eyes, gently rub in small circles the bridge of the nose area.

DD's blocked tear duct is only just clearing up now at 5 months. It did look gunky at times because it was drying around her eye. I kept cleaning it and massaging the inside of her nose/inner eye corners and it's gradually got better with time. It will still water if it's windy/bright etc where her right one won't but it's not watering all the time any more

Yeah as mentioned above, just small circles at the inner corner of the eye towards the nose. You might even be able to feel a little bump there where it's inflamed.

We had a case of conjunctivitis when DS1 was days old. Midwife said don't bother with going to the doctor because wiping the eye with luke warm tea several times a day would clear it up within 3-7 days. You just make a strong brew and wipe the eye a couple of times with a cotton ball - but make sure you wipe the eye once, throw the used ball away and repeat with a fresh ball as it means you won't spread the infection. :) The tannin in the tea works great!! But I found it awkward. Hubby asked me one day what I was doing and without thinking too much about it, I told him the midwife said to 'teabag the baby'. :rofl: Yeah, he was in fits of laughter when he realized exactly what she had meant. Needless to say, the midwife joined in on the laughter with hubby when he told her. :blush:

She's Maori so she's got very traditional and old medicinal values that have been passed down through the generations which is why we were happy to trust in that. But by all means, always consult with your doctor if you would rather have that medical peace of mind. :)

WackyMumof2 hahaha! That's awesome. Also hello from Tauranga!

My midwife always said that if it was yellow or green, and the ooze or crust appears thickly again after wiping off 60 minutes earlier, that it is likely an infection. She said a blocked tear duct would show a more watery eye.

WackyMumof2 hahaha! That's awesome. Also hello from Tauranga!

Yeah I get told I have Foot and Mouth Disease. Any my mother made me a cross stitch years ago that said 'Warning: Engage brain before opening mouth'. :haha:

I always thought you were in the UK for some reason. :haha: But you're in Tauranga! :happydance: Beautiful place. :) I'm in Napier. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->