Blood clotting tests

Lucia

Love my little man!
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My doc ordered some basic blood tests today for thyroid and bloodclotting issues. This was at my request as I have suffered two miscarriages in the last year.

I am looking over the lab requisition and I noticed that only CBC is checked off under Hematology. Do you know how they determine if someone has a blood clotting disorder? Is it a Prothrombin Time test?

I would think you can't determine this with a CBC....

Have them check for the Liden V (V as in "5", not the letter) mutation. It's a genetic issue that causes clotting and can be tested for with a simple blood draw.

the only clotting result they would look at from your cbc is your platelet count as platelets help your blood to clot but its not a very in depth test... there are so many clotting disorders you would need your ptt/inr/fibrinogen/and tonnes more clotting factors tested.

MAybe your doc is just starting with the basic and then going from there, but a cbc will only tell him info about the hemoglobin, white cells, neutrophils and platelets.

I just had that group of tests done. The total of blood tests was 20, unfortunately they are written in very sloppy greek so i cant quote them to you...From what i can read there are 5 protein tests, something called ANA and Anti-DNA and something about lupus.

The prothrombin test is to check if you have a defective Prothrombin gene. I have that, it's the same as a Factor V Lieden defect, on it's more rare. I went to see the hemotologist just last week regarding this issue.

So I have both a blood clotting disorder and thyroid problem. However, I have healthy little girl and one MMC....just to give you some hope!

I had a bunch of blood clotting tests done including homocysteine, MTHFR, Antithrombin III Activity, Factor V Leiden, Lupus Anticoagulant, Cardiolipin Antibody. I also had the CBC, but in and of itself, I don't think it is enough to detect all blood clotting disorders.

I had a blood clot in my uterus which caused my first miscarriage and possibly my second. I was convinced I had a blood clotting disorder, but it turns out I don't. I hope everything is ok with you!

Thanks ladies. I called my docs today and it turns out that her receptionist didn't fill the form out properly. They are faxing a new one to the lab today. Turns out that they are charging me money for one of the tests but it will be worth it if I find out it's a cause.

Thanks for your advice everyone!

:hugs: hope you get some results that prove helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->