Blood Pressure (again - sorry!) got my lil monitor

the last reading is 200/107. i called the midwife but her phone is off. i'm gonna do it again in a bit if it's still that high who should i call?

If I was you I would go to the ER, no matter what they say over the phone.

i don't know. i get sick of medical professionals sometimes to be honest i definitely don't think 200/107 is fine but what do i know lol i can't get to the hospital very easily & i'd only sit there waiting to be seen for 4 hours before being sent home & told to rest. i've been resting for a month! grr. i feel ok just a mild headache.

Hi there,

Sorry you are having all this trouble...I'm a doctor (palliative medicine consultant so not obs & gynae!) but that is quite a significant measurement...I'd contact out of hours again and speak to a doctor or your local maternity unit tonight...better be safe than sorry...I'd be a little worried if that was my reading and want to make sure I got the best advice. Best of luck xx

PS just read that you get sick of medical professionals at times...sorry if I've made that feeling worse!x

PS just read that you get sick of medical professionals at times...sorry if I've made that feeling worse!x

haha! sorry no that doesn't apply to all :D the lady i just spoke to was so patronising & made me feel like a real idiot for even calling them. tis those types i get sick of hehe xx

Hmm.. that 200/107 is really high. Mine blipped once (cut noticeably short) and gave my DH a reading of 170-something over 140-something, and I joked about it to my OB and she said he would have likely been having a stoke with numbers like that! He retook it and it was normal.

The 118/86 reading is SLIGHT hypertension on your dystolic (lower number) but the 118 is fine. If you are truly getting readings like 200/107 and 188/106 you need to go to emergency room and AT LEAST have it checked there.

You have to make sure you keep those home monitors on a flat place while you are doing the reading. Moving it around at all can mess it up.

Oh hun I know nothing about bp, but I hope your ok ...
I would try and contact someone again (I don't know who :() and tell them you're really concerned and it's making you stress/worry :hugs:

Since we're due the same day I'm gona add you on fb too :D
I'm Carla Loveridge - I haven't really mentioned pregnancy on fb yet though ... :D

:flower:

Hmm.. that 200/107 is really high. Mine blipped once (cut noticeably short) and gave my DH a reading of 170-something over 140-something, and I joked about it to my OB and she said he would have likely been having a stoke with numbers like that! He retook it and it was normal.

The 118/86 reading is SLIGHT hypertension on your dystolic (lower number) but the 118 is fine. If you are truly getting readings like 200/107 and 188/106 you need to go to emergency room and AT LEAST have it checked there.

You have to make sure you keep those home monitors on a flat place while you are doing the reading. Moving it around at all can mess it up.

thanks yeh i'm a healthcare assistant at hospital so i know about that stuff :D the readings are right, i repeat them & tested the monitor on OH earlier his was normal as it always is. apart from the normal 118/86 one all the diastolics have been 106 to 110. i'll see doctor again monday xx

I would try and contact someone again (I don't know who :() and tell them you're really concerned and it's making you stress/worry :hugs:

I'm Carla Loveridge - I haven't really mentioned pregnancy on fb yet though ... :D

ahh yay! i'll be good & not mention bubs! how can you not have done the announcement yet i was looking forward to mine for weeks :haha:

ahh yay! i'll be good & not mention bubs! how can you not have done the announcement yet i was looking forward to mine for weeks :haha:

Lol I now, I was going to after 12 (13) week scan, then after hb, then hopefully after this scan but might wait till 24 weeks ... or even 28 when I'll get a 4d scan ... :dohh:

There's two girls announced this week, a 9 week and 14 week and I feel dead proud I've kept it a secret for some odd reason haha

Oh I just keep putting it off :haha:

All my friends and family know though, it's just friends that I don't see often, distant fambo and people I went to school with on there :D

I have got a hidden photo folder for people who do know, I'll add you to the VIP list for that lol

i just checked it again 3 times and all of them are between 160-170 / 110 i think something's a bit off here! and i've been sitting for like an hour now! :shrug: i need to be working really i'm going to start loosing money. i guess i'll see doc again monday but my work are gonna be pissed if she writes me off again. i have cardiology appointment june 20th, maybe they can help it xx

That is really high, especially considering your pre-preg blood pressure is 100/70. I have had pregnancy induced hypertension with 2 out of 3 pregnancies, and ended up on bed rest for both of them. When your blood pressure goes too high, it is cutting off oxygen to the baby. My doctor advised that I lay as much as possible on my left side. (I was on bed rest for 20 weeks for pregnancy induced hypertension with my first pregnancy, and 8 weeks with my daughter... was actually diagnosed with pre-eclampsia with both later on).

Definitely is something to have taken seriously. I know it is hard with work and everything, but it can really hurt the baby if not addressed, hang in there and I hope they do something soon that can help you out! Until monday, I would try to relax as much as possible, avoid salts (although it probably won't really help...but can't hurt either)...drink water...and stay on your side. hang in there!!!

(I wanted to add in, that I would not wait until monday, especially with that other reading of 200 and a mild headache. has your vision been okay? I would go in right away, when you get there make them take you seriously- a blood pressure that high while pregnancy is not a good thing, and they have no right to be dismissive with you!)

You really need to let them know, it can be a sign of pre eclampsia and it can be life threatening Hun, not meaning to scare you xxx

i just checked it again 3 times and all of them are between 160-170 / 110 i think something's a bit off here! and i've been sitting for like an hour now! :shrug: i need to be working really i'm going to start loosing money. i guess i'll see doc again monday but my work are gonna be pissed if she writes me off again. i have cardiology appointment june 20th, maybe they can help it xx

That is really high, especially considering your pre-preg blood pressure is 100/70. I have had pregnancy induced hypertension with 2 out of 3 pregnancies, and ended up on bed rest for both of them. When your blood pressure goes too high, it is cutting off oxygen to the baby. My doctor advised that I lay as much as possible on my left side. (I was on bed rest for 20 weeks for pregnancy induced hypertension with my first pregnancy, and 8 weeks with my daughter... was actually diagnosed with pre-eclampsia with both later on).

Definitely is something to have taken seriously. I know it is hard with work and everything, but it can really hurt the baby if not addressed, hang in there and I hope they do something soon that can help you out! Until monday, I would try to relax as much as possible, avoid salts (although it probably won't really help...but can't hurt either)...drink water...and stay on your side. hang in there!!!

(I wanted to add in, that I would not wait until monday, especially with that other reading of 200 and a mild headache. has your vision been okay? I would go in right away, when you get there make them take you seriously- a blood pressure that high while pregnancy is not a good thing, and they have no right to be dismissive with you!)

thanks yeh the lady on the phone made me feel like a right tool! it's a bit lower now 190/104 so thats something. i'm gonna rest it out til monday. tbh i think it's been this high for a few weeks i've just not had a monitor so not known about it. i'll write down the readings to show doctor when i go xx

Unfortunately that's how mine was.... when I was at work it was high, when I wasn't at work moving around it was fine.... I hope you get it figured out soon :flower:

Hi there, im a first year midwifery student, and we've recently learnt about bp.
It is normal for your blood pressure to rise quite a bit when moving about quite a lot, but it is not good to have it too high, and 188 seems really high to me. How far along are you? Maybe its best to relax a little bit, but if your bp is lowering at rest, you should be absolutely fine

Hi there, im a first year midwifery student, and we've recently learnt about bp.
It is normal for your blood pressure to rise quite a bit when moving about quite a lot, but it is not good to have it too high, and 188 seems really high to me. How far along are you? Maybe its best to relax a little bit, but if your bp is lowering at rest, you should be absolutely fine

well, the measurements i have resting (ie sitting on the couch for an hour) are 200/107 and now 190/104. my doctor keeps telling me to rest but i don't know how much more rested & relaxed i could be really i've been off work for nearly a month now with this stuff. i could only actually be more rested if i was asleep :haha: xx

If it were me Id be back on the phone to the out of hour doctors, hopefully it will be someone else that you get to speak to. That really is wayyy too high. At my midwifes booking appointment my bp was 102/66 and at my 16 week appointment it was 96/56 - Id been sat waiting for 20 mins, but Id walked all the way there AND up a steep hill I was expecting it to be really high. She didnt say anything but I think thats too low?!

Fingers crossed your bp goes down, good excuse to lie in bed all day with the telly on and make your partner serve you meals in bed!

xx

Sorry to insist but I think you should go to the ER just so they help it go down ( meds ) I would not wait until Monday, I would go to the ER today. Always better be safe.

What kind of monitor did you get? I'm just wondering because sometimes the wrist ones read higher than what it actually is.... if it is reading that high, it would still be high, but maybe not quite as much.... just a thought! Definately still get it checked out though :flower:

thanks yeh the lady on the phone made me feel like a right tool! it's a bit lower now 190/104 so thats something. i'm gonna rest it out til monday. tbh i think it's been this high for a few weeks i've just not had a monitor so not known about it. i'll write down the readings to show doctor when i go xx

Are you having any swelling in your face, hand, or legs or anything?

Check this out:
https://www.maternalink.com/pl/MultiSiteIncludes/PDF/Info_Center/05 HighBloodPressureInPregnancy.pdf

(after reading it, I realized that I said I was diagnosed with pregnancy induced hypertension then later pre-eclampsia, it slipped my mind that they are the same thing...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->