blood test tomorrow :( :(

tryin4baby

Mum to Mia. Preg with #2
Reaction score
having a blood test done tomorrow (full blood count, iron & thyroid)
i am soooo scared, ive never had one before. i had a needle in my neck a few weeks back because i have a swelling of tissue there. but im having a blood test because ive been having palpitations.
i wanted to know, how much blood do you think they will draw? how long it will take? and does it hurt? xx

It depends on how many different tests they are running, the most I've had taken in one sitting was 6 small containers. To be honest the amount won't make much difference. They'll only use one needle, and then swap the containers over to fill each. From start to finish it will probably only take a couple of minutes. I personally would say that it's more uncomfortable than painful.

If you're nervous, just say so before starting, and they'll take extra care to make sure you're feeling ok. I would also suggest looking the other way.

Do not worry, you'll be fine!

thanks!
yes thats what im going to do is not look, i cant stand the sight. when i had a needle in my neck it was there for about 2 minutes. dr put the spray on so you cant feel the needle and that was worse than the actual needle itself. i could feel it going in and out but didnt hurt. i dont want to ask for spray tomorrow though because i want to be able to know what it feels like normally so then i dont get worried any other time i have a needle. thanks again!!

:hugs: i used to dread blood tests etc..
I had an iron count a few months back, i just looked away, i hate looking at it lol. It went really quick though, make sure you have something to eat/drink before x

okay thanks :) soo nervous haha. i wasnt that bad with the needle in my neck because i didnt know i having it until i was at the hospital. i wasnt going to have when the dr said because i was to scared but he kept asking and asking so i just thought sod it just get it done and over with lol x

Its worse before it happens lol, once the needle is in its not so bad, i know what you mean though i used to be scared as anything, xx

Hope it went well for you :flower:

If it is a thyroid issue, you'll probably have to get used to regular blood tests, so I hope it wasn't too traumatic.

It certainly should have been a lot more pleasant that your FNA procedure, which I assume is what they were doing in your neck recently.

i had a biopsy and ultrasound on my neck a few weeks ago, but the results said that the dr is almost certain that no further treatment is needed.

didnt have the blood test, i was sick in the morning so re booked for next tuesday x

all the best, i have had numerous blood tests and as long as you are not tired or fatigued then it wont hurt. The full blood count and liver test is easy and you should only have three to four little tubes and as soon as the needle is in then the pain goes away and you do not feel anything.
I am sure everything will be fine and its good to get these tests done before conception

thank you, i dont think i am scared of the pain really. its just the fact a needle going into my arm and i havent had a needle (apart from the one in my neck) since i was about 5-6 years old :(

You could always ask them if they'd use a butterfly needle to collect the sample. You won't feel a thing!

I should add, I've never had one used on me, I'm such a pincushion nowadays that it doesn't bother me any more. But have heard great things about butterfly needles for folks with needle/pain phobias :thumbup:

oh thankyou, i will ask them :)
i was going to ask if i could have the numbing spray but they used that on my neck and it was worse than the actual needle lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->