Blood tests on liver

MustBeMummy

Reaction score
Well i will try and keep this short, although Im sure that wont happen lol

The week before last I went to the doctors because i couldnt stop itching and when my palms of my hands and soles of my feet started itching i went in. The doctor made me go for a blood test to rule out obstetric cholestasis which i had the same day. (fri 3rd may) The doctor said the results take about 2 days to which i said well its my second anniversary on monday so we r away for a few days anyway and coming back thursday so she told me to book an appt for the following friday.
So on the wednesday we are then of out for the day in the sunshine and my phone rings and its a mindwife at the hospital saying right can you come in today for a scan! she thought i was aware of this somehow although i dont know how but i said well we are away but we are coming home tomorrow morning. So she she went off to see if i really had to go in that day and said she would ring back in half an hour.
In the mean time me and hubby are sitting in the car wondering wether to even set off to go anywhere incase we have to turn around and go to the hospital, he was getting worried and i was the one trying to calm him down lol
anyway we eventually found out we could go in the next day so thats what we did.
I had my scan and although he is measuring slightly ahead everything seemed fine so then i had to go over to maternity assesment unit and have more bloods done to check to see if the liver salts had come down and to check any other areas which may have caused the high levels.
Then i thought we were going. The midwife said we would have to pop back to find out the liver salts/bile results before i could go but could go off and have lunch. She then asks me if ive been hooked up to one of these before....one of these i had no idea what it was! lol
It turned out to be the fetal heart monitor which you see on one born evey minute with the straps round your belly and it keeps track of baby's heart beat. Started off being half an hour but when the midwife came over and looked at the print out his heart rate had dipped quite low to 102 and taken a little bit too low to get back up again so she kept me on a little longer and when she came back to check he hadnt done it again so let us go for some food.
Anyway when we went back my lft's had come back down and they were happy with them but still wanted me to have a liver scan and of course wait for the rest of the results to come back to see what else could have caused it. So ive another appt with them on the 21st to get results and my consultant antenatal appt (as im consultant led).
Today the letter arrived for my scan and it's this coming monday! the 20th so i will be at the flippin hospital two days running. BUT get this i can have breakfast at 8 am and then not allowed to eat till my scan which is at 4pm!! I will be starving by then!! I feel like ringing them and saying "you know im pregnant right?" lol

Worrying about my scan on monday now. Cant eat or drink. Bit scared they r going to induce me if they find something wrong with my liver

I have just had tests for this! I have only had the blood test and then got referred to the hospital! Had the heart rate checked etc! Standard procedure is that they monitor u and baby til 37/38 weekend when they like to induce you as Obstetric Cholestasis can be linked to stil birth future on in pregnancy! They didn't bother sendin me for a liver scan as am already past 38 weeks and my bile salt reading were so high so am being induced on Sunday!

However I do know they're lookin to check ur liver is stil functioning normally and ur blood is capable of clotting (I'm on vitamin k, just another precaution) and to check that it's not something else causing these readings rather than the Obstetric Cholestasis!

I have been looking into this online, and it appears there's not a lot of research about it and the risk of stil birth is very very low stil! So try not to panic too much! I hope ur tests come back clear! And everything stays healthy! Good luck xx

I had blood tests yesterday and get the results tomorrow - hoping I just have random itchiness, i had a rash but its gone down now as the doc gave me a steroid cream...

I hope everything is ok, if something doesn't look right they might decide to induce you and you'd be in the best place possible to get the best care for both yourself and your LO, it is a good thing that they are keen to monitor your progress and will be able to spot early if something is wrong

I know you're going to stress over the weekend so try and do something with your DH to take your mind off it for a little while :hugs:

I have just had tests for this! I have only had the blood test and then got referred to the hospital! Had the heart rate checked etc! Standard procedure is that they monitor u and baby til 37/38 weekend when they like to induce you as Obstetric Cholestasis can be linked to stil birth future on in pregnancy! They didn't bother sendin me for a liver scan as am already past 38 weeks and my bile salt reading were so high so am being induced on Sunday!

However I do know they're lookin to check ur liver is stil functioning normally and ur blood is capable of clotting (I'm on vitamin k, just another precaution) and to check that it's not something else causing these readings rather than the Obstetric Cholestasis!

I have been looking into this online, and it appears there's not a lot of research about it and the risk of stil birth is very very low stil! So try not to panic too much! I hope ur tests come back clear! And everything stays healthy! Good luck xx

Well as far as im aware they have ruled out obstetric cholestasis as the result we waited around for came back normal.

I had blood tests yesterday and get the results tomorrow - hoping I just have random itchiness, i had a rash but its gone down now as the doc gave me a steroid cream...

I hope everything is ok, if something doesn't look right they might decide to induce you and you'd be in the best place possible to get the best care for both yourself and your LO, it is a good thing that they are keen to monitor your progress and will be able to spot early if something is wrong

I know you're going to stress over the weekend so try and do something with your DH to take your mind off it for a little while :hugs:

Haha your probably right I will worry. Hubby is working over time on saturday so I will be worrying then. But my mums gonna pop over for a cuppa then. Sunday we are going over to my in laws for lunch so that will help. Its just tomorrow I will have the time to think about it too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->