Blue lips in a 15 month old. Any experience.?

3rdtimelucky

mammy to 3 beautiful kids
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have also posted this in Health and Wellbeing. But I think it will get more views in here!

My son is 15 months old, and for the past 5 days his lips and the inside of his cheeks have been turning blue! When it happens it lasts for about 2 mins and goes away then returns later in the day! When it happens he is not over exerting(sp) himself he is generally just sitting easy playing with toys or watc hing tv. he is in good health and has not been sick in the last 2 weeks!

I have been to the doctor this afternoon, and she is not too worried as he is in good health. She said had he have been sick with high temp, she would have called an ambulance and got him straight to hospital as blue lips are a sign of severe reseratory or cardiac problems! She checked his heart and blood flow and both were good. She also said if he is to get sick in the future and his lips turn blue to get him straigh to the hospital. She told me not to worry and just monitor him, but obviously im worried sick.

I myself have asthma as do my 2 sisters and my husbands brother. If it turns out to be asthma i can deal with that as I have loads of experience with that.

Im just really wondering does anyone have any experience with this and what was the outcome. Thanks for reading

Niamh :flower:

Amelie had this too and then got a cough which was really hard to shift. She had a 3 day course of steroids to rule out asthma then referred to a paediatrician at the hospital. She basically just said her circulatory system was immature and some babies do get blue sometimes but will grow out of it by 3 or 4.

Kelana had blue lips and nose etc...when she was in hospital with RSV. For me, blue lips would concern me, but I am not a medical professional. I would probably seek a second opinion. x

Thanks girls, yes it really is concerning me aswell ! If it persists I will definitely seek a second opinion. Im not medical either but blue lips to me is a sign of some sort of propblem.
Thanks again for the replies x

It CAN be a sign of a heart problem but tbh you'd know if a baby had a serious heart problem. They'd not be thriving and would look unwell.

It CAN be a sign of a heart problem but tbh you'd know if a baby had a serious heart problem. They'd not be thriving and would look unwell.

Yes doctor said it can be a sign of cardiac problems but like you said, if he had some sort of heart problem it would have well been detected by now! He is not really a sick baby but from the age of 9 months he has had his fair share of chest and throat infections!

Actually, my friends daughter had a very serious heart problem...two actually. They had no idea, except that she was always congested (a cold). It wasn't until her heart stopped beating (thankfully she was in the hospital at the time for a cold) that they did investigations. Very scary. They did CPR on her for 20 mins. Now, I am NOT saying that is wrong with your child...BUT...if you feel that it is not normal, then please go get it checked again. x

Actually, my friends daughter had a very serious heart problem...two actually. They had no idea, except that she was always congested (a cold). It wasn't until her heart stopped beating (thankfully she was in the hospital at the time for a cold) that they did investigations. Very scary. They did CPR on her for 20 mins. Now, I am NOT saying that is wrong with your child...BUT...if you feel that it is not normal, then please go get it checked again. x

Oh my God, how scary for your friend. That was good luck that she happened to be in hopsital at the time! Im praying its just something he grows out of, and has no significant meaning! But I will get a second opinion for sure. Thanks again

If he has had his heart checked, I wouldn't be concerned, unless he goes blue and stays blue and has trouble breathing xxxxxx

Sorry Blah11, not to be picky or anything, but does my LO look unwell and not thriving????? :haha:
(I'm only messing around btw - no offence intended :flow:) xxxx

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 13
she's gorgeous :flower: She must have been unwell when she was born though :shrug:

Long story, but they never picked anything up until they heard a murmur on her heart, just before they were going to discharge her! Even though I kept telling them she wasn't the right colour, they still gave her an apgar score of 9 :shock:
xx

Whenever Harry has a temperature, he always shivers and his lips go blue. It was incredibly worrying the first time it happened and we took him to A&E and they just told us to give him Ibuprofen and Paracetamol alongside each other and sent us home. It's happened every time he's had a temperature since.

blah- (im not picking i swear!! this is meant with love :p)

my little girl has a serious heart condition called absent pulmonary syndrome and goes blue very quickly when she's cold.
but to look at her you'd never know, and if they hadn't picked it up on my twenty week scan there'd have been nothing in her appearence or health that you'd attribute to her heart.
(again not meaning to be annoying)

I'm just going by what a doctor told me :shrug:

The OPs LO is quite old now. I'm guessing if there was a serious problem with his heart it would have been picked up well before now either in scans or by him being unwell.

My friends was picked up when she was 8 months old, like I said...not until her heart stopped. BTW, popped in here to add she is fine now! She just celebrated her one year anniversary of open heart surgery. It was something where the heart was pumping the blood into the lungs or something???? Plus another minor-ish thing.

Glad to hear your friends LO is doing well now JASMAK x

aww glad she's doing well now!

blah- no worries, i think its one of those things that they give you the average cases as a guideline, i should add that my little girl is considered a medical miracle by great ormond street, they've never seen a child be born with her condition and do so well,
so im 99.9% of cases you'd be right- sorry i didnt add that before was in a rush x

Really get a second opinion if needed :) , i was born with a heart murmur then i got told i had a hole i'n my heart .. I never actually got my open heart surgery till i was 14.By looking at me you would never think i had heart problems :) xxx

Oh gosh now im panicking after reading your post. Maisie has nearly ALWAYS got some sort of cough or cold, she seems to have one for ages, get rid of it then a couple of weeks later have another one. My brother and nephew were born with heart problems and both died from it. My cousion has a heart problem too. Do you think its worth getting her checked out? I had a detailed scan when i was pregnant and she had checks done when she was born and they said her heart was fine? x

My daughter is 6 now and ever since she was born, if she gets cold her lips go blue. When she was younger I found it happened when she over excerted herself but these days its when she's cold like when she gets out of the swimming pool for example. I had her checked out and was told there was nothing wrong. I've always wondered though whether to get a second opinion?? The last time it happened was winter and her teacher got really concerned and would bring her back indoors x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->