BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

yep i season as normal bar the salt.. if its something i like really peppery, i just add extra to mine... but spices and herbs are fine.. ruby LOVES garlic.. i make garlic bread (just as normal but with salt free butter )and she goes crazy for it! i use loads of herbs in my spag bol and shes fine with that too ;-) she seems to prefer the stronger flavours!
i use the boots organic baby stock cubes in soups and stews etc too, for ours too, they are fine, i just add some extra salt to my portion once served

soooooooooo assuming Sophia wakes up from her nap in a reasonable mood, I am planning on starting BLW in about 90minutes time - eek, Iam really excited / nervous!! I bet she just completely ignores all the food now!

I am going to give her some cucumber, banana and broccolli - does that sound ok?

Wish us luck!

Good Luck Shiv & Sophia!!! They sound like great starting foods :thumbup:

ok so I think we can call it a sort of success. She only spent about 15 minutes playing with the food before she lost interest so it was quite a quick affair.

but............she loved the broccolli, it went everywhere (still bits up her nose that I can't get to!) and she chomped away on it :happydance:. She was making chewing actions but whether she actually swallowed any we shall have to wait and see.

She was far too interested in the broccolli to bother much with the cucumber and banana although she did pick everything up and try!!!

So how long does it take to go through tehir digestive system - if she did swallow any when could I expect to see evidence in her nappy?

So tomorrow is roast veg (sweet potato, pepper and courgette) and if I am feeling brave some of our parmesan crumbed chicken.

It took me soooooooo long to clear up - I swear I shall be finding brocolli for weeks!

:D Yay for Sophia! As for evidence in the nappy, Adam's first food was also broccoli and when he had it in the evening, the first morning nappy had bits in. It's unmistakable. :rofl:

Have started weaning using spoon fed and have come across blw. Jess is 6m next week and at moment has 2 meals, brekkie and dinner time of baby rice / porridge then pureed fruit or veg.
With blw do you let them snack throughout the day and still give them milk or do you give them the food at the relevant food times.
New to this so need some help.
Thank you

Have started weaning using spoon fed and have come across blw. Jess is 6m next week and at moment has 2 meals, brekkie and dinner time of baby rice / porridge then pureed fruit or veg.
With blw do you let them snack throughout the day and still give them milk or do you give them the food at the relevant food times.
New to this so need some help.
Thank you

The idea is for them to eat when you eat, so 3 main meals plus 2 small snacks

We've got burritos for dinner, lets hope I don't put too much spice mix in this time, last time I burnt my mouth and Halen wouldnt eat it :dohh:

Ruby is not eating very much at the moment - she's got 2 top teeth coming through. She is only eating carbs for some reason, she doesn't want to know fruit which she was loving last week! Odd.

Halen was the same with dinner, he munches on the tortilla wrap but wasn't interested in any of the other food.
Hope her teeth come through soon! Loving your avatar hun she looks so cheeky :D

Hi everyone too many pages to read back on! Olivia still isnt eating much though she has just had her 3rd tooth come through so that could explain it.

Due to go back to work full time next week (yuk) so blw, i presume, will not be anygood as my mother-in-law will not have time to prepare meals.
Think I will continue with spoon fed for meal times but try to get in law to give snacks of fruit, veg etc.

Also can anyone help with another matter:
Jess has a 8oz feed at 5.30 am then would have 4oz with baby rice at about 9 etc.
The last week she has completely gone off food and milk at breakfast and yesterday didn't want anything til about lunchtime, where she woofed down food and milk.
Know she has a cold and thinks she may have started teething - is this anything to worry about.

:wacko:

We've started BLW today! After about 2 weeks of purees I gave W a slice of mango a couple days ago and he ate the lot! And now refuses to take anoything of a spoon at all! So he had toast with some peach puree on this morning and sucked on a few bits, and for lunch we shared some roast potatoes/carrot/parsnip and some broccoli and he seemed to eat more than I expected he would!

The only problem I think we'll have is that I go back to work end of April (2 days a week) - will he be eating enough by then do you think for me to only BF morning and evening? He takes very little from a beaker at the mo but I plan on expressing so he can have some BM at lunchtime too........

Another question (sorry!) should I try to give BF at the same sort of times as meals, or wil they gradually just merge together anyway? We have no real routine still.....!!

Thank you!

Candyfloss, I would just keep offering the beaker as much as possible to get him used to it. They're all different, but at about 8 months my baby was definitely eating enough to only have morning and night milk feeds (I FF though, not sure if it makes a difference) the only reason I give a mid afternoon bottle instead of a solid snack is she won't drink enough milk over 2 bottles to take the min amount of milk that's recommended.

I would try and space meals and BFs out and not do them too close together. You don't want him to be too hungry when offering solids but on the other hand you don't want him to be too full of milk either! Once he realises he can fill himself up with food you can give solids when he is hungry, this happened with us at about 7.5 months I think...

Hi everyone too many pages to read back on! Olivia still isnt eating much though she has just had her 3rd tooth come through so that could explain it.

Ruby is getting her 3rd and 4th and the moment, both top teeth. I'm finding she will only eat soft foods she doesn't have to bite hard or spend too long chewing! She is not keen on toast or melon at the moment, things she usually loves.
She demolished an omelette at lunchtime today though, and giving her bread instead of toast worked well too.

Thank you! He has water in the beaker at the mo, and he is learning to suck it, but also spends alot of time chewing it! Think alot dribbles out rather than being swallowed but will try with some EBM I think to see if that helps.....

Weaning is just one more thing to worry about now I guess! Looking forward to sharing meal times though, was a bit stressful timing his food, BFing, naps, my food and leaving the house too! Have got the BLW book but think I need to reread it now we're actually doing it!

Hi all!

Just found this thread and wanted to say hello as I'm soooooo overexcited about starting BLW, despite the fact that LO isn't even 5 months old yet so I've got a while to wait! :lol:

I'll be popping in and reading whenever I can to get some tips in preparation. And in the meantime I'll be watching my letterbox, waiting for the BLW book to arrive.... :)

Well we've officially started.

LO has been having a veg at mealtimes for a week or so (started this after she took food and ate it on her own during a family meal).

Yesterday I left her on the floor playing, left a piece of carrot cake at the other side of the room, also on the floor, and nipped into the kitchen to get my cup of tea. When I came back she had crawled over to my cake and was eating it :dohh:

So - for the last few days (since she turned 5 months) I have been offering her more.

Today she had banana at breakfast... rice cake, orange and dried apricot for lunch... a heinz biscotti for snack (when I had my biscuit with my coffee)... then a kind of leek, mushroom and onion sauce with potato and asparagus sticks for dinner.

I was surprised how much she ate. She also drank around 30ml water with her breakfast and dinner, and - miracle upon miracles - all her expressed milk with lunch (actually she spat most of that out, but she did suck it all out of the cup first!).

So far she hasn't seemed that bothered about breakfast - anyone else found this?

Does that sound like enough water?

It's all very exciting lol...

Oh last question for now... she has been lifting her plate up and chewing on the edge - when she's done this for a long time I have taken her food off the plate and put it on the table... if she was going to throw the plate full of food would you take that to mean she didn't want any more or let her discard the plate but try putting the food on the table??

I never use plates as Otter is always more interested in them than the food and the food ends up everywhere before he even realizes it is there. :haha:

Breakfast was the last meal that Otter got into. Just recently really started wanting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->