BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

i have a question lol....mason had his dinner tonight and he boked quite alot, omg my heart but i let him be and he seemed ok, but then towards the end he was sick a little....then again he was sick just now :wacko:

have i given him something wrong etc or has lumps not agreed with him today? he is teething quite bad today so...i dunno lol...help!!!

:flower:

Hi Rach! :hugs:

How's Mason doing now, any better? Just wondering if it was a one-off thing or if you're still having probs?

hey lovely!!

hes still doing the gag alot, im not sure if hes being greedy or if im doing something wrong??!

started off so well aswell, he seems fine with like veg n potato, his brekie but most other things not so much?:nope:

i have a question lol....mason had his dinner tonight and he boked quite alot, omg my heart but i let him be and he seemed ok, but then towards the end he was sick a little....then again he was sick just now :wacko:

have i given him something wrong etc or has lumps not agreed with him today? he is teething quite bad today so...i dunno lol...help!!!

How's Mason doing now, any better? Just wondering if it was a one-off thing or if you're still having probs?

hey lovely!!

hes still doing the gag alot, im not sure if hes being greedy or if im doing something wrong??!

started off so well aswell, he seems fine with like veg n potato, his brekie but most other things not so much?:nope:

Hmmmm... I gave Finn an Organix rusk biscuit thing and that made him gag loads cos a big bit broke off and kinda just sat in his mouth for ages until it got soft enough. Maybe it's something similar with Mason? Is it firmer things that he's gagging on? Veg etc are pretty soft so they go mushy and slide down easily in little bits, so I'm wondering if Mason's just managing to get bigger bits of certain things and that's why they're getting stuck.

Sorry I can't help more!!

hey lovely!!

Hmmmm... I gave Finn an Organix rusk biscuit thing and that made him gag loads cos a big bit broke off and kinda just sat in his mouth for ages until it got soft enough. Maybe it's something similar with Mason? Is it firmer things that he's gagging on? Veg etc are pretty soft so they go mushy and slide down easily in little bits, so I'm wondering if Mason's just managing to get bigger bits of certain things and that's why they're getting stuck.

Sorry I can't help more!!

yeah its basically anything that isnt squishy and easily swallowd....do i just let him keep doing it and he'll realise he needs to chew more haha....hes fine with toast for some reason he'll sook that 2 death...but rice cakes r the worst!! lol....even banana does it to him :wacko:

Sorry if this sounds stupid but am i right in thinking you are giving babys solid food like we would eat? wouldnt there be fear of choking and such im totally lost on this topic

Sorry if this sounds stupid but am i right in thinking you are giving babys solid food like we would eat? wouldnt there be fear of choking and such im totally lost on this topic

It doesn't sound stupid, it's what everyone says when they first hear about BLW!

Basically if you start at 6 months, there is no need to do purees at all, as babies of this age and older are capable of self feeding, chewing, and swallowing. Their gag reflex protects them from choking, gagging happens to most babies but actual choking is very very rare.

hey alll......
just checking in to say hi!
we have taken a bit of a backwards step, although Ruby has 4 new teeth in progress, so im HOPING its that!

shes basically just playing with all her food. she has a great time inspecting it, feeling it, smelling it, fiddling about with it, but is really eating a lot less than usual.....

any ideas?

Ruby was playing with her food a lot more last week actually, deliberately dropping it on the floor, just picking it up and putting it down again over and over again, and funniest of all, trying to feed me!! She keeps trying to put food in my mouth, then snatching it away and laughing, the eating it herself!
She has been better this week though. Teething is probably why...

Hi again ladies! I tend to lurk a bit here, as we've not properly started yet, but I love reading through what you're all doing!

Am posting again, as Romilly is 6 months old on Saturday, so with it being the bank holiday weekend (thus DH being off!), we're "officially" starting BLW!! :dance: I'm so excited :rofl:

We've given her odds and sods to have a play with before now, but she's not done anything major with it. Well, she sat stroking a piece of broccoli, and got very upset when we tried to take it away so we could leave the restaurant :rofl:

Will try and remember to post and let you know how the weekend goes :D

W is eating loads less than normal too, just not interested unless its off a preloaded spoon (although he did eat some melon yesterday), he's got his 2 bottom teeth popping out so hoping thats it. He's even gone back to BF poo instead of the nice, easy to cope with solid poo!

The clocks changing has ruined what little routine with had too, so eating and sleeping has gone completely to pot!

Hi everyone, Jacob will be 6 months n Sat so I guess we can 'officially' give him most things really. Tried him on some organix carrot sticks today and he seemed to love them and didn't gag as much although he did still sick up a bit but nothing to what he was doing before.
Found out tonight my MIL said that she thinks this BLW is a stupid idea but she's not going to interfere - I so hope it works for us just so I can prove her wrong!

haha yep! my MIL has hd to 'eat her words' on BLW, nd on our baby swimming too.. she used to ask 'is Ruby being drowned on friday this week?' but i brought her with me a few weeks back to watch, nd she left SO impressed lol...
hopefully it will work with yours too!

whats the plan next then?

Hi x

Finley is 5 months & has aready been eating puree'd food since 4 months on the advice from our GP because of his reflux but I was wondering about BLW & can he do this at 5 months or does it have to be 6months???
If he can start now are there foods I cant give him to try???

Any advice would be appreciated thanks x

You can start when baby is ready. Start with reading the book, that will help. Then the idea is you offer foods, but don't encourage or help LO to eat it. When they can pick it up, put it in their mouth, bite/suck bits off, and swallow (without help!), they are ready. Otter was doing simple veg and fruit once per day early. I was just careful about what I offered and how often. I didn't start 3 meals per day of "any" food until he was 6 months.

Hiya thought i would join in here now that Leila is turning 5 months tomorrow :wave:

Planned on BLW from early on, got the book and read it through - just started reading it again to refresh my memory. Was going to wait till she was sitting unsupported and then allow her to join us at mealtimes just to watch and get used to sitting at the table.

I think she is trying to tell me that she is ready to try new things and tastes. She has always hated calpol and would spit it out, however yesterday she was trying to lick it off the spoon and kept trying to grab the spoon, once i had got most of it down her i let her hold the spoon and she was sucking the rest of the calpol off it :rofl:

So once shes over this tummy bug we will be starting to let her join us at mealtimes and maybe play with some simple finger foods and see how she goes on.

Looking forward to chatting with you all :happydance:

Started 'properly' with BLW today - he's 6 months tomorrow so I figured 1 dy wouldn't make much difference either way. Anyway I gave him a little bit of toast at breakfast time and he seemed to love it - obviously he didn't swallow anything, he didn't really gag either just coughed a bit from time to time and spat bits out again. At lunch time we were out for lunch and I bought a couple of little finger sandwiches with philadelphia and some organix carrot sticks and he had a great time, it was also great for us as it meant we got to eat our lunch in peace too! Yay for BLW!

Ok so im really interested in blw with charlie, ive always just given pureed foods and always at around 4mths but charlie seems quite satisfied with his milk although he is also extremely interested when we are eating.

What foods are best to start them with, i really havent got a clue where to start.

Ohh, just made a thread asking questions about BLW anbd then saw this!! Lol.:dohh:

Well i'm really looking forward to starting BLW but won't be starting until the 6 month mark! So i've got a month to prepare! What foods are best to start off with? How much do you think i should give her to start with as don't want to waste any food really (though really it's sort of a waste as she'll most likely be playing with the food rather than eating it for a while! lol) as am a skint single mum! Lol.

Here's Jacob enjoying his Easter lunch of turkey, sweet potato and green beans - he seemed to really love sucking away on the turkey but he wasn't so keen on the sweet potato - it made him sick a bit as it all stuck to the roof of his mouth but he did manage to clear most of it himself.

dinner.jpg

dinner2.jpg

dinner3.jpg

Well ladies, Romilly had her first BLW breakfast this morning :dance: I say "had", she didn't eat anything, or even get it near her mouth :rofl: Seemed to have fun though. Gave her some porridge on a pre-loaded spoon (which went everywhere, found some in her ear!), and she had some toast and banana. Certainly she enjoyed feeling the different textures, and smooshing the food about.

I'm trying not to be concerned that she's never shown the slightest bit of interest in putting food in her mouth (we've given her the odd bit of broccoli etc before today). She'll play with it, but the idea of it going to her mouth doesn't seem to occur to her. It's the same with toys, or teethers, or anything! The only thing that seems to get into her mouth with any regularity is her hands. There have been the odd occasions when she licks her Sophie la Girafe, or a spoon she's been given to play with. But she's not a "things to mouth" baby at all. Should I be concerned? Or is she just doing things in her own time and I need to relax a bit? :blush:

My other problem is high chairs :dohh: We have the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Healthy Care high chair (what a mouthful!). The problem is that Romilly is so dinky that she can only *just* reach the tray. I mean, the tray pretty much sits so that when she reaches for stuff at the edge nearest her, it's wedge under her armpits (if that makes sense). We tried just taking the tray off, and having her at the table, but it won't push under far enough to let her reach the surface. My parents have a Mamas & Papas highchair we tried her in (looks sort of like a Tripp Trapp or Baby Dan), and the tray seems marginally better on that, but the seat is too big :dohh: She just topples to the side. Could I try wedging her into that with a towel? I'd thought about just having her on my lap, but even then, unless I sit on some cushions, she'll still have trouble reaching the table! Plus, since she fell off my DH's lap last week, he's ultra-neurotic about her falling, so he's not happy with that idea :(

Any suggestions from you wonderful ladies? Should I just keep going with the highchair I have? I felt bad that I was having to push food back towards her, I didn't want to seem like I was trying to encourage her or force the issue, but she kept batting things out of her own reach!

Sorry for the long post, just feeling a little bit lost at the moment! Should I just be leaving it for just now, and try her again in a week's time or so? Or keep up with having her with us for meals, and just keep offering things?

Eala- I'd try putting a towel under Romilly to raise her up a bit. I'm sure you could still use the safety harness and cleaning up the highchair might even be easier with a towel under her too :) Emma does the batting food out of reach trick but then fusses because she can no longer reach it :dohh: I usually push it back within her reach when she's obviously struggling to reach something.

We've been giving Emma veg and fruit to play with when we are eating out or if she's showing interest in our meals for a couple weeks now too. There are some days where she munches away and other days where she clearly just wants to mush up the food with her hands and play. I figure she'll eat when she's ready and playtime is how babies learn, right? :shrug: I'm sure she'll start eating in her own time- it's not like there is a magic switch that goes off when they hit 6mths signalling a desire to eat solids :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->