BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

has anyone started weaning before 6 months old? and when we are advised 6 months does that mean calander months or 24 weeks? also when did you start offering water in a cup?
I have not started anything yet and LO is sleeping through the night still but he is starting to show more and more interest when we are eating, he has 2 teeth and can sit unsupported. He is also very good at putting things into his mouth!

BLW is meant to be started properly from after 6 months (calendar months). Because it's all about eating as a family and giving LO what you are having and pre-6months you are limited to basically only being able to give fruit and veg.

We started using a sippy cup from about 5 months. Just didn't give too much water as I didn't want her being full and going off her milk.

If you can wait till 6 months to start properly, I would. It's so much easier when you don't have to think about what you are/aren't allowed to give (there are a few exceptions) You could try practising in a couple of weeks with fruit/veg sticks to see how LO gets on.

We initially started at 6 months, but LO wasn't really ready, so we didn't start properly until about 3/4 weeks later.

x

We started a week before and as Blondey says, took it really slowly with fruit and veg. I did start touching food to her lips just over 5 months though, for her to lick/taste but nothing went in as I held it.

We offered the sippy from 6 months, and we have a free flow, took a while but she is brilliant with it now, looks really grown up! I only offer water with lunch and dinner, not breakfast.

We let Maria play with fruit and veg from 5 and a half months and introduced cups around the same time.

anyone doing anything special for Halloween? I was thinking something with pumpkin like risotto and some apple and spent biscuits cut into shapes. Maybe with some natural food dye for goo and blood but can't think of an appropriate icing substitute.

Hi everyone,

I've embarked on the messy vomit-filled world of BLW - it would be great to chat with other mums who have just started too!

Ethan is 6 and a half months and will stuff into his mouth broccoli, toast, dried apricots, organic rice cakes (apple flavour and carrot & tomato flavour), banana (although he seems to prefer chewing the stalk! - :fool:).

He has been putting various things in his mouth for ages and so seems to be already chewing most of the food he is given rather than sucking it and spitting it out. Problem is that a lot of the time he gags, and more often than not he'll end up vomiting up the milk he has just drunk as well as the food that he is gagging on. Is it normal to bring up milk a lot at the beginning? I wouldn't mind but it's so bloody messy!! All down his front, on his legs, the highchair and the cushion that he sits on to make him big enough for the highchair.

Really hope that this passes soon!

Looking forward to swapping news and tips and hearing how the new BLW-ers are getting on :coffee:

Vee

xx

I think it's normal. Well, I hope so because mine does it with certain foods.

With the rice cakes, does your baby suck them until they become squishy? Because mine just goes straight for chewing and coughs and chucks over them. She loved the taste and reaches for them everytime we are eating one but it freaks me out so I have stopped giving them.

Right now, the only food going into her tummy is banana. I can see it in her poo on the days she eats it.

She has been trying food every couple of days. It's good because I get to see her having fun but she is still being nourished by milk so I haven't needed to pack anything on days that we go out.

We have started in the last couple of days. I offer him food at breakfast time and then depending on what we are doing for the rest of the day he may get offered things at other meals too. I have been giving him my leftoveers from the previous night alongside various fresh veg and fruit. He has been having toast or weetabix for breakfast. I do sometimes give him yoghurt but at the moment I spoon feed that (he has aonly had it a tiny bit).

So far I dont think anything is going onto his tummy but he definitely enjoys playing with the food! He does takes bites and chews but then spits out or gags!!!

Rmar - I think he mainly sucks the rice cakes as they are the flavoured Organix ones, so he's just interested in the apple or carrot & tomato flavour!! He gets really excited when he sees the packet so I know he likes them.

Chocojen - I can't get a spoon anywhere near Ethan's mouth, so porridge etc isn't an option. Although, I did read at the very start of this thread that someone gave toast with porridge on it - might try that! I also read that rolling banana pieces in crushed bread sticks helps LOs hold the banana so it doesn't get too squishy or slip out of little hands. Great idea!

x

Hello girls, trying to do my reading in prep for LO turning 6mths :happydance:

I wanted to ask if its ok to give LO kinda spicy food? OH and I eat alot of curries, fajitas etc. Will I be ok if its in manageable strips and is it ok to let him try rice straight away? Just worried! :wacko:

Try something mildly spicy and see how he reacts and if he gets an upset tummy or not. OH is always giving Maria spicy food if he has it, she loves it but if she has too much then she gets tummyache.

We eat loads of curries, chillisetc and have been giving LO them in the last few weeks. We put chilli sauce on the table so if we want it hotter DH and I can add it ourselves. He likes it though, but you can see when it's too hot. Last night we had a tofu carribean curry and he found it a little hot so we gave him some natural soya yoghurt in with the curry. Worked a treat :thumbup: We kept his food simple for the first month though.

Just wanted to join ladies! I showed my mom some videos of this last week and she thinks the whole idea is insane :haha: She really did alot of it with my sister I remeber though. I remember her eating more finger foods (some chopped up) than jarred baby foods. I think that now because there is a name for it she thinks it is strange. :dohh: I think once she sees it in motion, she will realize it is very similar to how she fed us!

We give AM chilli and curry sometimes. To be honest, the only reason we don't give more spicy things is because she has a habit of rubbing food in her eyes as she's usually a bit tired at dinner time and I'm sure you can imagine, spicy food in the eyes is not fun!

DarlingMe, I'm sure a lot of people on here can empathise with their families not understanding the whole BLW concept. Luckily my family have respected our choices and just try and make sure when they have her that they follow the concept.

Good luck!

xx

Thanks blondey & Yes my mom will be fine with it. I haven't even mentioned the whole idea to OH. he does whatever I ask him : haha: I really think that BLW is a fairly common practice but was just never called that. I think slot of moms put finger foods out for LO to play and then give mashed foods because they feel like LOs "need" the intake of food.

I haven't really found any Info but I am wondering if there is anything on BLW and obesity. I know I have read it allows the baby to gauge whether or not they are full better. I am thinking that allowing them to learn their own hunger cues and gauge their own "fullness" would help decrease that obesity risk and overeating. Just one benefit I am sure exists but I don't think I have seen it mentioned. :shrug:

I have seen it mentioned somewhere about obesity and BLW. It is also meant to help combat the fussy child stage as they have learnt to enjoy and learn with food from a toung age.

Not sure if you're able to get it in the US, but the Gill Rapley explains all the concepts behind BLW really well.

Yeah I bought the book on amazon and I'm in the US! :)

My MIL thinks we're starving her and that she'll certainly choke.
(she litteraly has said that).

Yes I guess according to my MIL we are unfit parents :haha:

My LO was gagging and bringing stuff up a lot at first, but in the last two days he has controlled his gag reflex brilliantly. Over the last couple of days he has chomped merrily on carrot, broccoli, cheese, leek, roast potato, chicken, rice cakes, banana, apple and dried apricots!

BLW is incredible - today DH saw it properly in action for the first time and was so amazed and proud of our little monkey :happydance:

I have seen it mentioned somewhere about obesity and BLW. It is also meant to help combat the fussy child stage as they have learnt to enjoy and learn with food from a toung age.

Not sure if you're able to get it in the US, but the Gill Rapley explains all the concepts behind BLW really well.

I have their book and cook book on hold at the library. Just waiting for it to come in!

Please help ladies. my lo started weaning at 6 months and has pretty much refused puree since day one so blw really seemed good for us so have been offering a variety of foods ssince but although he has been playing and sucks, chews everything he is given, he screams in frustration during the whole thing. his screams are worse if he drops something down or cant quite chew it well etc and i am starting to find the process very distressing. I cant feed him out the house as its sooo stresful. any tips?? Thanks xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->