BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Quick question ladies, my LO want to try everything I eat, but he will not hold it himself. He is eating from my hand, puling it closer to his mouth and bite... Would you say he is ready? He only does it when I eat, not with other objects.

Quick question ladies, my LO want to try everything I eat, but he will not hold it himself. He is eating from my hand, puling it closer to his mouth and bite... Would you say he is ready? He only does it when I eat, not with other objects.

This is kind of what DS was doing. 2 nights ago I gave him a red pepper slice to suck on and saw chunks in his diaper the next day, totally surprised! Tonight I gave him some thick sliced avocado rolled in crushed cereal. He ate the half an avocado! I am sure he would have kept going if I made him more. I handed him the slices and he chowed them down. If you think he is ready you can try! I was not expecting DS to actually swallow anything today and he did. I was thinking it would still be for fun but he loved eating it and had fun!

BLW is so demoralising. I go to the effort of buying milk, eggs, cheese (I don't eat animal products) but it all ends on the floor, whatever I make :dohh:
When did your LO actually start eating the food?

BLW is so demoralising. I go to the effort of buying milk, eggs, cheese (I don't eat animal products) but it all ends on the floor, whatever I make :dohh:

He has only tried a couple things but I was very surprised how much he chord down! Can you try giving your LO foods you do eat? So you don't feel you are cooking another meal? Breastmilk is all they really need anyhow. Maybe once she gets the hang of it u can add some meats or proteins?

I know what you mean, and I sometimes feel the same. Everyone I've spoken to thou says keep going as it's so worth it in the end. I always think Freya hasn't eaten anything until I find bits in her nappy! She's 7 months now, and definitely some bits are going in - not a huge amount, but some x

Soooo.... we have started to introduce some foods this week and on one hand I think its going quite well. So far shes tried roast parsnips, chips, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and banana and she seems to enjoy having a go and making a mess. Its very cute, to begin with! The trouble is, she always ends up getting really mad! Shes finding it a bit frustrating that she can't keep a grip on the food and it keeps slipping out of her hand. Eventually frustration turns into screaming, so I end up having to take her out of the highchair to try and calm her down. Is this common in the early stages or have I just got a stroppy madam :winkwink: I'm assuming its a phase that will pass, as her grip and co-ordination improves but has anyone else had to struggle with this? Did you persevere or give the weaning a break for a while?

Soooo.... we have started to introduce some foods this week and on one hand I think its going quite well. So far shes tried roast parsnips, chips, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and banana and she seems to enjoy having a go and making a mess. Its very cute, to begin with! The trouble is, she always ends up getting really mad! Shes finding it a bit frustrating that she can't keep a grip on the food and it keeps slipping out of her hand. Eventually frustration turns into screaming, so I end up having to take her out of the highchair to try and calm her down. Is this common in the early stages or have I just got a stroppy madam :winkwink: I'm assuming its a phase that will pass, as her grip and co-ordination improves but has anyone else had to struggle with this? Did you persevere or give the weaning a break for a while?
Mine is also getting frustrated and upset, but refuse a spoon or help so I thinghe is enjoying trying and get excited if he does managed to
Get some food in.

Ladies how long did it take your LO to learn to chew and when did they actually started eating the food (not just few bites)?

DD only remembers to chew every now and then when I sit in front of her and chew my food. Sometimes she will do it on her with food like chicken but is less likely to with slippery food like carrots.

It took my LO a good 3 weeks or so learn to swallow. It was quite demoralising at the time but she just got it one day.

Even now she doesn't eat a massive amount but she does eat. Sometimes I do catch her trying to swallow without chewing, the little madam!!

We have been doing blw for a week now and lo will not pick up any food i give her. I really dont understand as normally everything in sight ends up in her mouth... except food! sometimes she wil ignore the food completely and not even touch it. I knnow i shouldn't worry and i keep having to tell myself that she will do it in her own time but i cant help but think that she will never get the hang of it. Someone please tell me this is normal. thanks x

We have been doing blw for a week now and lo will not pick up any food i give her. I really dont understand as normally everything in sight ends up in her mouth... except food! sometimes she wil ignore the food completely and not even touch it. I knnow i shouldn't worry and i keep having to tell myself that she will do it in her own time but i cant help but think that she will never get the hang of it. Someone please tell me this is normal. thanks x

Have you tried Puting it in your plate and sit her on your lap and see if she will show any interest.

I can tell you that my boy checks first what's on my plate, and when he see what I am picking, he chooses the same from his tray. He wants to try what mummy is having.

We've been sharing bits off our plates for the past while, it's so funny what she likes and doesn't like! She loves avocado, she is not impressed with pear and apple. She loved the taste of refried beans I gave her when we were out the other day, but wasn't bothered about mashed potatoes one bit!
Funny girl.
We are having so much fun with this :)

Freya likes some stuff that I really wouldn't have thought - like salmon, long pasta and hummous x

Have you tried Puting it in your plate and sit her on your lap and see if she will show any interest.

I can tell you that my boy checks first what's on my plate, and when he see what I am picking, he chooses the same from his tray. He wants to try what mummy is having.

thank you. i'll give this a try :)

I have notice that my boy like what I like... He is also looking at what I take from my plate and takes the same from his tray... So funny

YAH.. we have started BLW and it is going SO SO WELL.. :yipee:

Matty has now had banana, squash/pumpkin and tomato.

He was obviously ready as the food it going right in and swallowing is not much of an issue. We haven't had much of a mess because most of the food is actually being eaten. :happydance:
A bit of gagging, but only as he is figuring out how to move the food around in his mouth. But nothing too scary.
Just SO happy that i is working out well.

Next.. I plan on getting some broccoli, avocado and maybe some carrots. :yipee:

I can't get over the gagging. :nope:

I really do NOT want to TW. How long does it usually last? The gagging seems like real choking as she gets red in the face and is gagging. She just did it with avocado and I KNOW she didn't have any chunks in her mouth. Still freaked me out though. :(

Whit - it really shouldn't last very long, but it's so awful when it's happening!

Not sure if you know that a baby's gag reflex is only halfway along their tongue, unlike an adult's which is right at the back. They gag way before the food gets anywhere near the back of their throat.

As soon as I found that out I completely stopped worrying and just waited for him to learn to push the food to the front.

Be patient and suddenly it will come xxx

Thank you.

It's so hard to sit there and just watch what you think is choking, if that makes sense.

I think I'm going to get a BLW book, it might help with some of my worries and concerns, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->