• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Thank you mistyscott, that's really helpful advice.

I have the cookbook already as a friend very kindly loaned me hers and another book by Gill Rapley as well, which I read first and felt so prepared, but now I feel very much the opposite!

I shall persevere, and I guess lo wouldn't still be reaching out for the food if she was bothered by what has happened.

Thanks again, I may be here a lot over the next few months!

Xx

Hello! we started tonight (hes 6 months on Monday) and did well! Gave him banana cut in half then the halves quartered :) He swallowed three times, gagged twice but had great fun and did so well reaching out, picking it up and getting it in his mouth :cloud9: So yes, he's def ready to go ahead.
He kept dropping the banana as it was slippery to will try something easier to hold tomorrow.

Hello! we started tonight (hes 6 months on Monday) and did well! Gave him banana cut in half then the halves quartered :) He swallowed three times, gagged twice but had great fun and did so well reaching out, picking it up and getting it in his mouth :cloud9: So yes, he's def ready to go ahead.
He kept dropping the banana as it was slippery to will try something easier to hold tomorrow.

That's great!

Have you tried leaving the skin on but cutting it down a bit, it gives them a handle and it doesn't go slippery so quickly.

One of the first things my LO ate loads of was avocado with the skin on because it gives her a handle but it was soft enough to suck and lick.

Hi yes have tried the banana with skin on and was better :) Only thing he didnt really 'like' was pasta but will get him some of the huge tubes and try again. favs so far are sucking satsumas and strawberries.

Hi everyone!

The other day she had some carrot and I think she must have put it too far in her mouth, cos she then brought up a whole load of milk from her previous feed. I mean there was so much she brought up, it's really made me very panicky (maybe she'd had her milk to close to the food? I just don't know what went wrong!)

Thanks, Xx

My LO did this too in the early days, she only did it on 2 occasions but I remember how scared I was at the time and I came very close to stopping and switching to TW because I thought I was doing the wrong thing and putting her at risk. Thankfully we stuck with it, shes now 9 months and doing brilliantly. Last night we had a mild curry and I was gobsmacked at how quickly she was eating the big chunks of chicken. She rarely gags now (more likely to gag on the spoon or a toy!) and she just seems so at ease with pretty much everything we put in front of her. It can be very scary in those first weeks but trust me, it does get easier :thumbup:

quick q - we've not had a poo since thurs morning. before weaning we were once a day everyday. id of thought weaning would = more poo?he has really stinky gas too :(

Is he eating much at all? Does he look to be uncomfy? I hope he's not constipated?

I guess he still nurses plenty?

yeah, same as usual bfing. hes def eating & swallowing quite a bit. he seems comfortable enough & has been eating loads of fruit too! might ban the bananas :( shame as he loves them!

Hi everyone!

The other day she had some carrot and I think she must have put it too far in her mouth, cos she then brought up a whole load of milk from her previous feed. I mean there was so much she brought up, it's really made me very panicky (maybe she'd had her milk to close to the food? I just don't know what went wrong!)

Thanks, Xx

My LO did this too in the early days, she only did it on 2 occasions but I remember how scared I was at the time and I came very close to stopping and switching to TW because I thought I was doing the wrong thing and putting her at risk. Thankfully we stuck with it, shes now 9 months and doing brilliantly. Last night we had a mild curry and I was gobsmacked at how quickly she was eating the big chunks of chicken. She rarely gags now (more likely to gag on the spoon or a toy!) and she just seems so at ease with pretty much everything we put in front of her. It can be very scary in those first weeks but trust me, it does get easier :thumbup:

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better to continue.

I must say that my confidence has been shaken by it, and I will admit that she hasn't had anymore finger food this whole week. I have given her some pureed food, but she's not overly interested, yet when we're eating she's forever reaching out. Therefore I know she wants to join in, and I know I need to find my confidence again, as she clearly hasn't been bothered by the whole thing.

Thanks again! Xx

yeah, same as usual bfing. hes def eating & swallowing quite a bit. he seems comfortable enough & has been eating loads of fruit too! might ban the bananas :( shame as he loves them!

We had to ban the bananas!

My LO really struggled to begin with, I think it's the change in texture!!!! I now give my LO blended prunes in porridge every morning and it helps keep things moving! Also offering water with solids helps too. Big things have been really bad I juice a pear and give her some sips of that.

We had to ban the bananas!

My LO really struggled to begin with, I think it's the change in texture!!!! I now give my LO blended prunes in porridge every morning and it helps keep things moving! Also offering water with solids helps too. Big things have been really bad I juice a pear and give her some sips of that.

Woke up to a mammoth poo! It was full of undigested food so he must be swallowing quite a bit :) the smell made me literally gag though lol :dohh:

quick q - we've not had a poo since thurs morning. before weaning we were once a day everyday. id of thought weaning would = more poo?he has really stinky gas too :(

My LO has had constipation issues since weaning began, so we have to be constantly nagging her with water and on bad days give her juice. Also give her dried prunes, figs, apricots to snack on.

Hey ladies...I'm still really struggling to get jack to eat any meat...any ideas on what I can give instead so he gets the protein he needs etc?x

Quinoa is supposed to be the only non meat complete protein (I think).

My LO can actually handle this really well if I mix it with some mashed veg like butternut squash.

Hi we've been BLW for a few weeks now. He had carrots and broccoli with chicken and roast potato. This morning bits of carrot came out in his poo undigested is that normal? So did the broccoli :-/

Slightly worried his digestive system isn't ready

Lo will be 6 mths Saturday

Hi we've been BLW for a few weeks now. He had carrots and broccoli with chicken and roast potato. This morning bits of carrot came out in his poo undigested is that normal? So did the broccoli :-/

Slightly worried his digestive system isn't ready

Lo will be 6 mths Saturday

Yep, completely normal! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back