BLW - Do's And Don'ts??

Blue_bumpkin

Love My Little Monkey :)
Reaction score
Can someone give me some pointers on this? I'm very interested in doing this with Adam and I'm pretty sure he's ready.

Any advice appreciated regarding food choices, amounts etc..

to start you LO should be able to sit unaided, and food should be placed in front of them and they should be able to pick it up themselves to eat it.
the recommendation is 6 months so the digestive system is ready to accept food. Q started at 5 1/2 months.

further info: https://baby-led.rhgdsrv.co.uk/

You might find more advice in the Weaning & Nutrition section - https://www.babyandbump.com/weaning-nutrition/

There's a BLW support thread stickied at the top :flower:

^^ wss :)
have you got the gill rapley book? its got everything you need to know :)
we started just before 6m with a few bits of cauliflower but he didnt like it!
after a few weeks he'd tried most things you could think of lol! he still doesnt eat much quantity though.

The Gill Rapley dvd's really good too. Basically he needs to be able to sit up and hold things - ideally at 6 months. You can give him pretty much anything he can hold but no marmite or honey til 1 year and you have to watch the salt as you would whatever you were doing. In the first couple of days we gave #1 sticks of steamed veg, baked potato, banana, avocado, cheddar cheese, humous, pitta bread, cow's milk, toast, you name it. It's really easy if you can give stuff that you're having so you just make a bit more, but obviously it depends what you're eating meal by meal. It's so much fun to do! I love our pictures of her first few meals - they're hilarious. Think she'd have swum in it, if she knew what swimming was! If he seems to choke a little bit, do not panic - everything I've read tells me that it always comes back up. Just be calm and if necessary hoik it out with your finger; if you dont' panic, he won't see any need to. Might not even happen anyway, just thought I'd mention it.
Just do it alongside milk feeds and let your little one dictate what he wants and how much. To begin with it's all about just exploring and having fun with it, eating it all is a bonus - some babies take to it quickly, some take a while (#1 took to it immediately, but she seems to be exceptional) but until he's 1 you can pretty much just treat it as fun if he doesn't take to it very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->