BLW- melon, peppers, kiwi and flavouring food

dizzymeg

Reaction score
Hi all
Can babies have pepper sticks? do they have to be cooked or can they be raw? are any colours best / avoid?- on my list of finger foods it doesnt mention pepper so wasnt sure!

Melon- whats best again for them? the yellow ones ok? do you leave the skin on or off?

Kiwi- again do you leave the skin or off? I can imagine they too slippy without the skin?

flavouring foods- how do you all do this? so far ollie has just been having roasted or steamed stuff or raw sonor been flavouring, but I fancy giving him stir fried aubergiene and other veg and wasnt sure if just to use garlic or can i use any spices? again, any to avoid other than garam masala haha!

xx

peppers are fine. i uaually give them raw, but she has had them cooked although they go a bit flopy. any colour is fine but red tend to be sweetest

melon, any kind again and its up to you about skin. i cut the skin ogg and cut into chunks but have given a 'slice' with half the skin on half off so she can get a grip

kiwi-definatly skin off, the skin will hurt LO's mouth. it is slippery, but good to practice that grip!

as for spices my LO loves stron flavoured foods, any spices/herbs you would normally use are fine, including garlic. just watch out for salt in things like the ready made cajun pots and things. paprika is a good one thats quite milk to start with!

Clara loves green peppers but throws red peppers on the floor. I've given her both raw and cooked and I think she prefers the raw ones. You just have to watch out if they get a big chunk off in their mouth - she chews off the "meat" of the pepper but has trouble with the skin so I usually pull it out of her mouth when she's done. For melon, I give cantaloupe and honey dew wedges with the skin off and she has no problem holding them. You can roll them in wheat germ or cheerio crumbs to make them less slippery. I haven't tried kiwi yet, might do that this week.

great, glad I can give pepper raw, another nice easy instant food when we are in a bit of a rush! like to have a couple on hand in case things go a bit wrong in the day!! I gave him cooked ones last night and he really liked it!
well its melon for breaky today so lets see what happens!!

We tried sweet melon, gala melon and water melon and the water melon worked best when sliced into thin slivers. As for spicing, we add a wide range eg garlic, ginger, coriander, tamarind, black pepper, tumeric, cumin etc. She has loved it all x

Pepper can be raw or cooked and any colour is fine. My kiddies prefer it raw and aren't too keen on green as it tends to be a bit bitter.

I tend to cut melon into wedges with skin on as it's so slippery otherwise.

Kiwi I usually cut into slices with the skin off.

Pretty much any herbs and spices are fine, I use loads of different ones in my cooking. Just out of interest, where did you hear to avoid garam masala?

oo I just assumed it wouldnt be good for their tums and then their bum! I just made it up myself!!

oo I just assumed it wouldnt be good for their tums and then their bum! I just made it up myself!!

Yep just made some fish masala yesterday and it was not kind on my bottom - would not inflict that on LO lol - I think masalas in general are to be treated with caution - that said I wonder if babies in India eat the normal diet of the adults? Hmmmmm

Oh that's okay then. I use garam masala all the time and was suddenly worried that perhaps there was a reason not to give it. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->