BLW - Scared of Choking

sun

Mum of 3
Reaction score
LO is getting closer to 6 months every day, so I know he will soon be ready for weaning. I really really want to BLW, but I am terrified of him choking on the food. It doesn't help that everyone I have mentioned BLW to has said he will choke on the food. I know it is normal for them to gag and cough - but does it happen all the time? I am scared that he will start gagging and I will freak out and puree everything!!!

xx

he won't choke!

the gag reflex on a baby is half way down their tongue rather than the back of their throat so the food won't get that far!

my lo is already blw (got the book and was showing all the signs of being ready - it is baby led afterall)

although he hasn't been doing it long he can feed himself really well - beware though it is messy! :rofl:

^^^WSS

Babies are always going to gag regardless of how you start weaning, it's just part of the learning process for them. BLW is actually a much more natural way to start the weaning process when it comes to gagging. If they start with finger foods right at the start, they learn how much to bite off etc when their gag reflex is closer to the front of their mouths and so there's much less chance of choking. If you start with purees and introduce finger foods later on, then the gag reflex will have started to move back and there can actually be more chance of choking.

The gagging is scary at the start but if you let them clear it a couple of times, you'll start to feel much more comfortable about it.

Take a read of the Gill Rapley BLW book - it will explain everything to you x

^^ wss

i got the book out of the library, though i think i'm going to buy it!

We've been BLW since about 5.5 months and Leyla has coughed a bit a few times and sometimes pulls the "I'm going to be sick" face, but so far she hasn't actually choked or been sick.

Does your LO put his toys and his fingers in his mouth? Does he sometimes push things in too far? Leyla does all the time and it's exactly the same thing, except she does it far less with food because if she chews it small enough she can swallow it instead of having to realise that she needs to take it out of her mouth!

I was really worried about choking and gagging too so the first few times she had proper food was when OH was round so he could help me. I soon realised that it's not scary :)

i'm not gonna repeat what everyone has said :flower:

when we were just starting Daisy did gag a little it but after 1-2 weeks that was it..at some point they are going to have to learn how to deal with things in their mouths and this is the best time :) if you are on facebook there is a group that might be worth joining :D

xoxo

Pretty much what everyone else said. I was pretty anxious too but my confidence in him only after a couple of weeks is so great I don't really know what I was worrying about. Once you see them with food, it's easier cos you can see what their doing as opposed to imagining what they will be like :)

do expect a little gagging (not had no choking yet)
you will get used to watching, try your best not to intervene as it's better they learn for themselves.
have meals at times that allow plenty of time - don't rush
i alway offer food on a full tummy of milk - they don't understand food with fill them up at this point, food will interest your baby in a play context, touch, taste, texture will be the name of the game.

expect mess, i try not to tidy up round him, i wait till he's finished. tidying is a distraction and everything can be cleared up easily anyway!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :hugs:

I do have the book - it was one of the first books I bought. I guess it is just hard to do something that no one has heard of - my doc had no idea what I was talking about and was saying to start with mashed banana. She asked me at 4 months - so what are you feeding him?? LOL ..Um - nothing... And when he is in for his 6-month shots, he will probably not be eating then either! He was a month early, so has been a bit slow with everything else - so I don't expect him to be ready to eat at 6 months exactly. But you never know - they go to bed one day and wake up the next knowing something new!

Rachel_C - He puts everything in his mouth!! He actually keeps his mouth wide open if he has anything at all in his hands just in case he can manage to shove it in there! He especially enjoys spoons - but he still wants both hands in there at all times and he does gag on his hands quite often.

I am sure it will be less scary once we actually start!

xx

If you're really scared, you can always ease yourself in gently. Leyla really likes eating off spoons (though she's not very good at it) so I make very thick porridge and dip the spoon in for her. She manages to get quite a bit that way so you could try him with that first if you're very worried. Sure he'll show you how clever he is straight away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->