Blw vs tw

I'm another lazy mom who chose BLW because purees seem like a lot of effort. :haha:

My OH has tried pureeing stuff for her on occasion and she doesn't take to it at all, so I think we would've ended up BLWing regardless of what I wanted to do. She loves feeding herself.

You dont have to waittill 6 months to start BLW its recommend because thats when most babies are ready, my daughter started showing instrest at five months, I held off till 5.5 and went for it We have been baby led weaning since there. I love it, at almost 8 months, she eats everything but honey. Its easy, convient,and I don't need to worry about mushes.

You dont have to waittill 6 months to start BLW its recommend because thats when most babies are ready, my daughter started showing instrest at five months, I held off till 5.5 and went for it We have been baby led weaning since there. I love it, at almost 8 months, she eats everything but honey. Its easy, convient,and I don't need to worry about mushes.

Just to say, weaning in general isn't recommended until 6 months as babies digestive systems are mature enough to deal with it. But as you said, a lot of babies aren't ready or interested until much later.
A lot of people mistake growth spurts or "grabbing things" as a sign that baby is ready for solids.

Edit - that wasn't a dig at you btw. Just a "weaning in general" comment since you commented in BLW at 6 months.

TW. That is what I and everyone else who cares for her is most comfortable with.

As for finger foods, I fear of her choking so she won't have those for a while yet. I don't remember when we gave finger foods to my son. I think when he had teeth.

Just to say, weaning in general isn't recommended until 6 months as babies digestive systems are mature enough to deal with it. But as you said, a lot of babies aren't ready or interested until much later.
A lot of people mistake growth spurts or "grabbing things" as a sign that baby is ready for solids.

Edit - that wasn't a dig at you btw. Just a "weaning in general" comment since you commented in BLW at 6 months.

If you know the signs of being ready, and actually read up and understand BLW, than I think its fine. If the digestive system isn't ready, chances are ur going to have issue with pureed foods, or solids, regardless. 6 month old is just a recommended age based on guildlines and average timeline, not all babies will follow it. When u do introduce foods, you need to do it slow and watch for a reaction.

We went down the blw route because I read up about it and liked the sound of it. It really appealed to me that my children were in control of what they ate.

My DD is another baby who would eat anything at 10 months but now is very fussy at two and a half, thank goodness for pasta cause she'll eat that every time!

We have just started with DS and he's starting to eat bits and pieces here and there, it's fun doing this all again - and the dogs think its fantastic too!

Actually, you're more likely to have a baby choke when switching from puréed food to normal food because they never learned how to chew. The point of blw is to teach them how to take bites and chew and learn what they can fit in their mouths. I don't buy the worried about choking. Gagging and choking are two different things IMO.

Actually, you're more likely to have a baby choke when switching from puréed food to normal food because they never learned how to chew. The point of blw is to teach them how to take bites and chew and learn what they can fit in their mouths. I don't buy the worried about choking. Gagging and choking are two different things IMO.

yes we have different opinions. My dr doesn't want her to have finger foods right now and I respect his advice over anything I read on the internet.

I wonder cause most doctors these days are pushing blw. Never mind though. I know what I've experienced.

Besides you said it was your fear above. Not the doctor.

Can it not be both? I gave my daughter something and yes she started choking. At her six month check out sheet they had on there "to reduce risk of choking, do NOT give finger foods"...like I said...

You can use your logic and I'll use mine.

Are you sure it was choking? :) I ask because when we first started weaning my LO was gagging quite a bit and I confused it for choking. Gagging is actually quite normal and it didn't last long.

TW with William, jars and purees. Used to be good eater, then got picky and stopped eating.

blw with Alex but that was his choice as he wouldn't take anything before he was ready and when he was he picked up food and just ate it. He was 19 months when he done that and has a great appetite now, eats veg and fruit which is something I cant get William to do at all. I think with next one its blw for sure. Seems to be the natural selection for babies. I feel a bit bad having fed William so much puree and not letting him control what he ate.

Are you sure it was choking? :) I ask because when we first started weaning my LO was gagging quite a bit and I confused it for choking. Gagging is actually quite normal and it didn't last long.

This is what I was getting at. Gagging and choking are two completely different things. Alex has never choked (turned blue, not breathing). He has gagged though.

What weird dr advice. The biggest choking hazard is when they haven't learnt to manage food when the gag reflex is still far forward. It's much more dangerous for them to learn to eat solids when the gag reflex has moved back which it.does in time. The food can then get closer to the airway!

yes she stopped breathing...I do know the difference between choking and gagging.

What weird dr advice. The biggest choking hazard is when they haven't learnt to manage food when the gag reflex is still far forward. It's much more dangerous for them to learn to eat solids when the gag reflex has moved back which it.does in time. The food can then get closer to the airway!

ok whatever I'm exiting this thread now. I'm sick of being told I'm doing everything wrong!

No ones saying any ones wrong just fixing the myths of choking with BLW. I didnt look to much in to BLW just let my son do the lead but I see a lot here do know about it.

No ones saying any ones wrong just fixing the myths of choking with BLW. I didnt look to much in to BLW just let my son do the lead but I see a lot here do know about it.

I'm very much interested in BLW now that she is six months but can't get past the fear. I love the ideal of putting something on her tray and letting her pick and eat. Around here TW is the "norm" so it's hard when you don't have support or know much about it other than what the internet tells you.

I didnt do any internet reseach but as I said my son did it himself, yes I crapped myself. I seen him gag a few times but he wouldnt eat a puree. There is no support near me for anything regarding feeding, even breastfeeding or formula feeding. So I was told to mush things up to. Nothing wrong with seeking support online as often thats the only area for a lot of people. This internet forum is a source of support to. I wouldnt bash stuff for being on the net, its got a lot of information from good sources if you look in the right places and talk to other mums. Sometimes the medical profession lets down mums a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->