Blw vs tw

jaybee

Mum to Tobias & Alexander
Reaction score
I am not writing this to say either way is right or wrong, and so PLEASE keep it nice.

So why did you go TW or BLW?

Personally, I loved the idea of BLW, but in practice it didn't work for either of my boys.
They are/were EBF and after 5 months, I couldn't keep up, they were no longer satisfied etc etc. so started down the puree's route.
However, at 6 months, I did start to introduce fingers foods, which have been a hit. But I still spoon feed during breakkie and dinner. Otherwise Alex will NOT eat enough to satisfy himself.

Tobi is a good eater, is excellent with fork, spoon and knife. Uses crockery and cutlery correctly. He can be a little fussy when it comes to some food, however,I believe that to be more of a power issue rather than a dislike.
Alex is loving both spoon feeding and his finger foods, but gets very frustrated with the FInger foods after a while. He will eat anything I offer him.

Look forward to reading your ways and stories.

I was the same as you,couldnt keep my son sustained until 6 months so I started with fruit purees,but loved to give finger foods once he was old enough.
His favourites were brocolli,carrots,banana,pasta with tomato sauce and scrambeled egg.

All 3 of mine have been eating meals with the family since around 8 months,with no purees.

To be honest the amount that got wasted when they would eat finger foods put me off total blw as I thought they would still be left hungry afterwards,so I would have a jar or yoghurt whilst the ate their fingerfoods,so I knew they had taken something in.

I do TW with finger foods so some meals I do purees and some finger foods (at least one meal a day is finger food). I started finger foods at 6 months and she took to it straight away and is really good with big lumps in her purees. Actually I mash up big stuff but the rest I leave as is and she still eats what we eat (as long as it's not too salty/sugary). For instance I gave her chilli con carne the other day and left the mince, fine veg and rice as is but mashed the kidney beans a little before I spoon fed her. This way works well for us and she gets plenty of solids as well as the opportunity to explore her food and self feed. She eats anything and I try hard to give her a large variety of food - she's had chilli, moroccan chicken, curries, roast duck and sweet potato with plum... We do a lot of cooking from scratch and we really enjoy experimenting so she gets all sorts and she takes it in her stride.

I BLW for the same reason I BF, I wanted to take the easiest route with the least preperation! I can't be bothered with pureeing food.

It's worked out really well for us as we all eat together so I don't have stop my meal to spoon feed him. He loves it, really enjoys exploring textures and I think it has really helped his fine motor skills.

We went for BLW as i wanted Quinn to be in control of her eating. I offer her foods but if she doesn't want to eat it, that's fine as she's still getting everything she needs from milk. Until the age of one they don't NEED anything else as milk contains all the nutrients and calories required.
I'm also hoping it'll give her a wider experience of flavours and foods, as I've noticed a lot of TW babies tend to be quite fussy. (Apparently because most purées taste the same).

Quinn can now use a spoon and fork (preloaded) and is very confident with trying new things.
I keep getting a lot of stick from my mum saying that Quinn doesn't eat enough... But at 20lb I hardly think she's starving!

Edit - I also went for the easy option. I didn't want to purée stuff for her not to eat it! Plus we all eat together at the table and she loves it.
As a pp said, it's also helped her fine motor skills.

Yup, laziness mainly :haha:

I don't believe that humans need puréed food to 'learn' how to eat. BLW just made sense and tied in with what I know to be true regarding breastfeeding and nutrition. Also allowing LO to self regulate his food intake appeals to me, as I struggle with my weight and would like if LO can avoid the issues I've had.

Just an aside, there is a 6 month growth spurt, and for us it was almost a week long and LO fed like a newborn and fussed and was miserable. It didn't mean he needed solids, though. Just another growth spurt.

I went with a combined method- I used to put things in front of her to eat and help her if she was struggling a bit. I found helping her made her get the hang of it better.

Now she eats most meals herself depending on what it is. I spoon feed her cereal in the morning (mainly runny things).

I didnt believe that formula would provide enough nutrients for lo...so i spose i went with tw. I also wanted flexibilty....so if me n hubby are having something not appropriate for lo then he can have a jar/homemade stuff from freezer. Also when he at my mums she finds it easier to give him spoon fed stuff.

when we started just before 6 months he was so hungry eating 9oz bottles of hungry baby milk every 2-3 hrs which wasnt satisfying him enough....we never really had purees more just lumpy/mashed stuff. I never found it difficult, or hardwork...just mashed a bit of what we were having with a fork, or quick wizz with a hand blender. I try to ensure we all sit down for dinner as i think having that 20 min a day as a family important.

Within a month when he has mastered his hand eye, and got over his gag reflex he would eat everything any thing. He not fussy at all and eats better then i do. Each meal time he is offered some on a spoon followed by some fingers foods. He is mastering using a spoon / fork by him self...and overall is a brilliant eater.

We did TW with Dylan when he was about 5 1/2 months old, he took to it really well and loved his food, when we went up to lumpier food he would gag and cry and make himself sick. On the advice of the HV we carried on and it wasn't long until he started refusing all food. He would eat maybe a handful of food a week. He started eating again when he was 2 1/2 and is extremely fussy. Not doing BLW with him is my biggest parenting regret.

With Bethany we did BLW and it has been amazing, watching her learn about her food, control her intake and discover all the different tastes and textures has been an amazing experience. I loved that straight from the start there was no fuss about mealtimes, she could just have what we had. She is an amazing eater, although I expect this to change in the next few months as the terrible two's kick in more :haha:

I did BLW b/c I didn't feel like blending food or buying jars.

I'm planning on BLW, for several reasons.
1) food allergies, diabetes and bowel troubles run in both sides of the family
2) most of OH's family are overweight
3) niece (TW) is very fussy and meal times tend to be a power struggle. At 3 years old, the only way to get her to eat enough is to spoon feed her!
I'm hoping that BLW will help alleviate if not avoid these, by allowing LO to be in control, eat when she's ready, and to know when she's full. It makes sense to me, she's fed on demand now so why not continue that once she's on solids?

We BLW'd and another for laziness, lmao!

However, at 19 months, I notice that Alex is better at using forks and spoons than his peers. He will eat almost anything without hassle (still doesn't like certain veggies when he's not in the mood :haha:). He can control his food intake. I can eat the same thing or different things and he's not bothered. :)

BLW really didn't do a darn thing for toddler pickiness once he hit age 2 unfortunately. I think they all end up the same, you just deal with less pickiness when they are a bit younger. He would eat ANYTHING under age 1 but now....? Pfft, it's awful.

BLW really didn't do a darn thing for toddler pickiness once he hit age 2 unfortunately. I think they all end up the same, you just deal with less pickiness when they are a bit younger. He would eat ANYTHING under age 1 but now....? Pfft, it's awful.

^^agreed! same with my boy! going through it now but i have heard they all go through that stage but BLW bubs then go back to being very adventurous... i hope! x

Oh that's good news because I'm tired of this!!!!! SO SICK of it, he won't even eat plain bread anymore.

An almost 3 year old won't eat plain bread but at 8 months he'd eat lamb chop and dolmades right off the plate, FML!

Im BLW because my LO practically decided for himself. I started purees and he just took the spoon off me and refused to give it back :haha: then took food off our plates. BLW it is my headstrong little man :thumbup:

I did BLWing and I have the weirdest eater in the world - it's quite an experience feeding Joel sometimes. He wont eat buttered toast but the other day I made him a tuna, mustard and horseradish sandwich out of curiosity and he loved it ! He also loves sushi, chutney, mackerel, big raw chunks of avocado, spicy lentils but has no time for fish fingers? OH and I were both insanely nightmarish picky eaters when we were younger so I have no idea where his tastes have come from.

I wanted to BLW from the start but I was honestly scared to death lol so we went with TW for a few months and she gradually started feeding herself the foods we were eating. She has the hang of it now. From time to time she still has a few purees but she is much more BLW now :)

DS isn't picky, but he certainly has moods when he won't eat much variety. He'll devour a salmon and broccoli pasta bake some days, and other days he will just push a single forkful of mash around his plate and then ask for a bowl of plain yogurt instead. Some days (like over christmas) all he'll eat is meat, and other days he won't entertain anything except fruit and veg. I figure it'll all balance out in the end :)

I blw both my girls, neither of them were 'hungry' or unsatisfied at 6 months in fact neither of them were ready for solids until 7 months really.
I can't think of any reason why I would give puree at 6m+.
ruby isn't the most adventurous eater but Scarlett eats virtually anything offered unless she is not hungry. This could chnage though haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->