[BLW] When do/did they get it?

hivechild

Mummy to Ronan
Reaction score
When do they realize that the stuff they're chewing and swallowing is filling them up/makes them feel full? How can you tell?

I know that I need to just trust him, but there are days I think he'd keep on eating as long as I keep putting stuff in front of him, and I'm sitting there wondering where he's fitting it all in!

I also know that they will (theoretically) stop when they're full and not eat more than they need, but I don't want him eating so much at this stage that it's impacting how much milk he takes, especially since we nurse exclusively and I have no idea how much milk he's getting anyway. :wacko:

Do you control portions/what you offer, or just have a ready supply of food on hand until they let you know they're done?

I think if they are eating they realise what food is & probably that it fills them. George had def dropped milk by 7-7.5 months (from 6 to 4 BFs in 24hours) it wasn't long after that he went to 3 BFs and then to 2 from about 10months. He's currently starting to reject the morning BF.

I just went with his lead, mainly waiting till he asked but offered BFif he'd gone more than an hour over his usual timings, he mostly turned away though.

With food I let him eat till he was done/bored and at around 8 months he started having huge breakfasts straight after both side BFs from full boobies coz he slept thru! The fact I knew he'd just had loads if milk made me less worried.

I seriously still don't know where all his food goes coz he's tiny (19.5lb at 13.5months) but eats loads compared to my friends kids!

I also got told that the muscle development from food can make their nursing more efficient but don't know how true that is.

ive wondered the same. im not sure finnley yet knows exactly that he should eat when he is hungry... he literally clears every crumb off his tray whatever i give him, no matter how much i give him :wacko: but then again he never pukes it back up! I have no idea where he puts it all

I am wondering when they just start eating properly in the first place? My boy is 6.5months and has been blw for 6 weeks now. Right from the start he did well putting food in his mouth to suck n chew...but he hasn't progressed any further yet. I think I might not be giving enough opportunity to practice during the day (only one or two meals). How long did it take your lo to start eating properly if you don't mind me asking? x

I think my LO only 'got it' at 8.5-9months old! He always ate bits and pieces but never what I thought was a lot.

It is only now he will happily sit and munch away on whatever is on his tray and he is ten months on Friday!

I do have portion control also, but I also have things like fruit and breadsticks to hand in case he is still hungry after. With some things (cottage pie, lasagne - his faves!), I always end up giving him some of mine as well as he wants to eat soooo much of them!

MissTanya, Ronan still has no teeth so he still mostly sucks and chews still. I've noticed that he recently started using his hands and fingers to kind of tear the food while it's in his mouth down to more manageable pieces. He gets annoyed by food that is too big and won't break up, too, so I've started cutting or breaking certain stuff up into bite sizes for him if it's too much. I kind of can't wait for him to get teeth at the same time as I'm glad he has none!

My LO didn't really "get" eating til she was around 9 months, I think. Then all of a sudden it just "clicked", and she started *really* putting it away. She'd already dropped 1 bottle, but all of a sudden the other one went too.

She only got her first tooth at around 10 months, she now has 6, but still likes her food in bitesize chunks ;) She's also small (16lbs 14oz at 11 months) but packs food away like no-one's business!

I generally try to work on the principle that if she has had enough, she'll stop. And she does have days where she doesn't want as much, so I figure the "full on" days make up for the more snacky ones :)

my Wee man is the same at breakfast and lunch, he'll have 7oz of milk then (fir example this morning) had a whole weetabix with 2oz milk, a yoghurt and 1/2 a pear...

For lunch he had, 4 whole cherry tomatots, a cheese biscuite, sucked all the phili off 4 mini rice cakes, and had 6 puffed carrot sticks (giant wotsits things) a wedge of quiche a yoghurt and 6 bits of mandarin!!

anyway, I let him eat till he starts lobbing it overboard, and/or slapping his hands on the highchair, if he finishes then I offer more! his call! lol
for tea, he wont touch food, hates it, lucky if I get anything down him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->