BMI and medical advice received

NorthStar

Reaction score
Ladies, have heard a lot of conflicting and contradictory advice given out by medical people as to the ideal BMI for TTC

Would anyone like to share their situation and advice received by participating in the poll?

Would be very interested to hear what everyone's experience has been :flower: and if you agreed or disagreed with the advice given.

I will also cross post in other forums and share the data once collated

I think my doctor only advised me to keep doing what I was doing because I outright asked him :haha: it was on my list of questions, that and my gym stuff, he said to keep doing whatever I wanted really.

Mince recommended a BMI of 25-27 for TTC, but I am not in that range.:shrug:

That is really interesting DM, I'm not in that range either, and my doctor was honestly kind of mystified that I'd even asked if weight could be a factor for mw.

My doc really never talks about weight, but I wonder is there is a difference between a NHS doc and an American one.

You may be right there, I live in Glasgow, which is not exactly a health conscious city. https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3906559/Glasgow-named-fattest-city-in-UK.html

I would think weight becomes more of a factor, when you have a national insurance plan and costs are shared; it might not have anything to do with TTC...weight might be more of a general health concern.

I did have a BMI under 20 and was told to gain weight for TTC which I did (in Canada) and now I'm 20-21 and the doctor said that was fine for TTC( here in Australia) however when the doctor in Canada told me to gain weight he wanted a BMI of about 24-25 for TTC. Does any of that make sense:wacko: The IVF Clinic didn't have any issues with my weight and it was never mentioned so I assume its fine:thumbup:

So chrystal that is both yourself and DM being advised that a slightly higher BMI is optimal for TTC purposes.

My BMI is high twenties (I don't remember exactly (27 or 28?), and don't like to look it up. I'm in denial about the number. I really want it to be 22 :haha:).

I have flat out asked my ob/gyn if I should loose weight. She said no, it's not an issue for me.
My other ob/gyn preaches exercise instead of BMI. She encourages 45 minutes of vigorous exercise 5-7 times a week. That's not going to happen for me. I do manage to get 30 minutes 3 times a week. I figure that's pretty good.

My RE looked at my BMI. Her only question was if my weight has been stable, which it has been. She then moved on to the next topic. So, I'm guessing that she figures weight is not my issue.

I think it's more cycle regularity and lifestyle choices that are bigger factors. If your BMI is too high or too low, it can affect your cycles, and therefore, fertility.

The doctors in Canada advised a higher BMI, the doctor here is fine with my weight, so only the Canadian doctor wanted a higher BMI. The Australian doctor says my weight is fine for my build etc. so no advice was given :)

Ready- I think it is person to person I can weigh 125 pounds and have chubby cheeks etc. my mother is shorter then I am and looks anorexic at 125 pounds. I have a much smaller build so it doesn't take as much for me to look like I have weight on. I think if you have regular cycles and are generally healthy then its all good whether you have a BMI of 27 or 22.

Mince recommended a BMI of 25-27 for TTC, but I am not in that range.:shrug:

GEEZ that's insane! I never heard of that... Usually the recommendation is to be 20-25! I conceived both within 1-3 months of trying with a BMI of 19.6.

NS, voted :)

Chantal, the only reason I can come up with this one is bc I only gained 13lbs with DD and the doc might have wanted me to gain some weight now...but, the doc I had while pregnant with DD was never concerned about my lack of weight gain bc she measured ok.

Hell, IDK, lol

That's crazy! While I agree 13 lbs isn't much gain, you conceived while your BMI was 18-21 (I suspect?) so that should tell them that weight is not an issue for TTC'ing for you. Is this a FS or your GP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->