Boiling wine to remove alcohol

bekkie

Mommy Due Sept 20
Reaction score
With the holiday season just days away... I am craving red wine - badly! Has anyone heard of boiling wine to remove the alcohol, if so, have you done it, and how did it taste afterwards?

lol ive never done it, but i so hope it works im another who is craving red wine, i had afew sips of oh's the other night and it made heart burn worse tho?? be interesting to see if it does work?

yeah I had a couple sips at thanksgiving and paid for it too - I think I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and see how it turns out, might ruin a $20 bottle of wine but that's okay!

I could be wrong, but I reckon that you would seriously spoil a good wine that way... also I think that you would have to boil it for some time to remove all of the alcohol (like heating mulled wine doesn't instantly get rid of all of the alcohol...).

You COULD try the alcohol free red wines (the white wines are rubbish, but the reds are apparently better...): https://www.eisberg.co.uk/

I have a bottle of this to try - https://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=2_60&products_id=209 - will try to post back a review...

Apparently M&S do an "alcohol free mulled wine" too. I like their "mulled cider" (which is about 4% alcohol - not too bad for a glass/mug).

Finally the occassional glass of wine (if you are comfortable with it) isn't that bad (depending on what you believe) and "one small glass" is often enough to settle the cravings. I will be having a glass or two of champagne over the festive season (personal choice).

QT

thanks for the links QT! I'll have to see if I can find anything local like that!

yeah I was thinking it would probably spoil the flavour too, which is why I'd never try with a really really nice wine haha. A friend had mentioned the idea to me and so I thought I'd see if anyone had ever heard of doing it.

and yeah, I don't plan on over-indulging, but figured at this stage a glass with christmas dinner probably wouldn't be that bad (and possibly some champagne w/ orange juice xmas morning) if boiling it isn't really an option

Mulled wine is essentially boiled wine. The pre-mix stuff is usually very weak, and boiling should drive more alcohol off, and you can thin it with orange jiuce, which makes it yummier! It's not alcohol free, but as a small treat, I'd imagine it would be fine... I want mulled wine now!!!

I know you're not in the UK, but I've seen an alcohol-free wine at nearly every supermarket chain over here. For example, Asda (same company as Wal-Mart), has an alcohol-free version of red, rose and white. I've had the red one, and it's not so bad when you've not had a drop for >6 months!

https://i.groceries.asda.com/g/001/088/0085200001088_21000_IDShot_2.jpeg
https://i.groceries.asda.com/g/199/729/5010263199729_21000_IDShot_2.jpeg
https://i.groceries.asda.com/g/001/002/0085200001002_21000_IDShot_2.jpeg

Apparently M&S do an "alcohol free mulled wine" too.

I saw some at Julian Graves (healthfood shop) in town the other day for about £5. Nearly bought it but talked myself out of it. I bet it's better from M&S anyway.

yeah they do have alcohol free wine at the grocery store, might pick up a couple bottles and do some taste testing. thanks :D

A $20 bottle of wine is a nice bottle in my house. I'd try it with a $3 bottle of wine if I was going to, but honestly, I'd either just drink a little of the regular stuff or not drink at all.

oh a $20 is a really nice bottle in my house too haha, I don't think I've ever spent more than that on one, but figured if I ruined it, it's only $20, and thought I'd get a better result using my favorite than using a cheaper bottle that I may not enjoy even with the alcohol

I'll probably just try the non-alcoholic stuff and if it's no good, I'll just indulge in a small glass of real wine with dinner. :D

ive got shloer for christmas day, i dont like wine anyway but i dont want to feel left out so fake alcohol will have to do :lol: xx

The M&S alcohol free mulled wine is soooo yummy, I had it a few weeks ago and you really can't tell there's no alcohol in it :)

ok ethanol has a boiling point of 78 degrees Celsius, so you don't need to BOIL the wine - if you boil it like mad you end up completely changing the taste of the wine and often spoiling it.

Make a nice mulled wine using a low alcohol content wine to start with.

The M&S alcohol free mulled wine is soooo yummy, I had it a few weeks ago and you really can't tell there's no alcohol in it :)

I had a taster of their mulled wine bucks fizz the other day that ws yummy...cold fizzy but tasted like mulled wine!

i was gonna say alcohol free wine and there is alcohol free becks for the larger cravings...... and trust me it taste like larger lol and alcohol free champagne happy holidays all xxxxxx

All this talk of favorite tipples is making me fancy mine which is disarrano and coke , the lucky thing is it tastes like dr pepper so will just have to drink that for now . good luck with your experiments . The things we do hey ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->