*Book Club*

Just finished reading "10 Reasons Not To Fall in Love" by Linda Green, some of it had me in stitches and other bits me going "nooo dont do it" Got it at Waterstones on the 3 for 2 offer, I LOVE Waterstones!

My Mark for it 8/10

Funny, dark, romantic and true, this is the sensational follow-up to the smash hit I DID A BAD THING...

Jo Gilroy is done with love. And who can blame her, after her partner Richard walked out on her on their son's first birthday? Richard, unfortunately also Jo's boss at TV news station Spotlight North West, is now happily esconsed with the station's stick-thin weather girl. And what's more, he's demoted Jo, an award-winning news reporter, to covering the fluffy 'And finally' stories at the end of the news. Can the humiliation get any worse? But then Jo meets Dan, a mysterious balloon sculptor, whose creations enchant her son Alfie. Jo is determined not to lose her heart again - but she may have just met her match...

I am reading Blindness right now. Has anyone read it?
https://onetinyspark.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/11013598preview.jpg

I've never heard of it, Wendino. Thought I'd get it from the library and read it with you, but it would seem the only copy they had has been lost :(
Is it good? They have other books by him... maybe I'll try one of them.

I've just been reading a book (which is in the bedroom and I can't remember the name of) about the MIT students who made fortunes counting cards in Las Vegas. It's a very quick read but I've quite enjoyed it. Looking for something new now - anyone have any ideas?

Freyasmum, What kind of books do you normally like to read?

Hmmm... Mainly Fiction. I used to be a Chick Lit girl, but have been trying to avoid it lately. I will read pretty much anything (and everything)...
Not much to go on, is it? Mostly I like being given ideas by different people because it gets me reading things I might not have chosen for myself.

Why don't we all list 5 books we have really loved? Not necessarily your top 5, but maybe the first 5 you can think of...
1. We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver
2. A Prayer For Owen Meany - John Irving (my all-time fave)
3. Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella
4. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer
5. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

I am a classics sort of gal, but will read lite Fiction on occasion. I adore all things Shakespeare and Jane Austen.

1. Anything by Jane Austen
2. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
3. Lolita - Nabokov
4. The Scarlet Letter - Hawthorne
5. Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

As far as more recent things (sorta more recent) and slightly less "heavy:"

1. The Lord of the Rings series - Tolkien
2. Watership Down - Adams (reading now, enjoying)
3. Pillars of the Earth and A World Without End - Ken Follet
4. The Kite Runner - ?? drawing a blank
5. The Physician - Noah Gordon

Non Fiction:

1. Refuge - Terry Tempest Williams (highly recommended as a touching read, esp for women)
2. Anything by David Quammen
3. Anything by Stephen Gould
4. A Sand County Almanac - Aldo Leopold
5. Consilience - E.O. Wilson

Freyasmum, any of these are good reads! I really enjoyed the two by Ken Follet if you are looking for something a little less heavy. They are long (very long) but well worth the time!

Watership Down is a very easy read and very interesting (as it is from the point of view of rabbits in the English countryside). It is deceptively not light hearted -- you would think it would be, but it actually has a good deal of political/survival/friendship undertone if you pay attention.

I'm reading a book which is the first in a series Left Behind, by Time Lahaye.

It's about how, in one instant millions of people all over the world suddenly vanish into thin air. Planes fall out of the sky, cars crash, etc.

It's a novel of Earth's last days, the Apocalypse and follows the story of some of the people who are Left Behind, and try to make sense of what has happened.

Further on in the series, you have all the signs of the apocalypse coming to life, like plague, flood, the four horsemen appearing, etc.

Why don't we all list 5 books we have really loved? Not necessarily your top 5, but maybe the first 5 you can think of...
1. We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver
2. A Prayer For Owen Meany - John Irving (my all-time fave)
3. Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella
4. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer
5. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

We need to talk about Kevin is one of my favourite books ever. I bawled during it, and my OH cried when he read it. I even stole it from the library (I know horrible horrible horrible of me.

Everyone must read it!

I've never heard of it, Wendino. Thought I'd get it from the library and read it with you, but it would seem the only copy they had has been lost :(
Is it good? They have other books by him... maybe I'll try one of them.

I've just been reading a book (which is in the bedroom and I can't remember the name of) about the MIT students who made fortunes counting cards in Las Vegas. It's a very quick read but I've quite enjoyed it. Looking for something new now - anyone have any ideas?

I borrowed it from my sister. It is alright, I don't really like the guys writing style. Doesn't have a good flow. We seem to like the same books so if I think of any, I will recommend them! I read a lot. :D Well I try to.

I guess it can be hard when reading books translated from their original language. It must be difficult for the person doing the translation to keep to the author's style/flow. I have found quite a few translated books have felt like they're missing something.

OMG! I LOVE BOOKS! lol :blush: I have about....350 odd books, and Ive read most of them! lol

Im currently re reading HP and the chamber of secrets, but I might pick up my Eragon book and re read that!

Im waiting to start the new karin slaughter book, but im finding it hard to find the time with erica around :)

Anything by James Patterson. I have every single book he has written. Once I start reading I can't put it down.
Not reading one at mo as kids are taking up all my time, but when thy go bk to school I'll be picking one up xox

wow its fab to see so many of you who are bookworms :happydance:

At the moment, I am reading the 2nd book of Sophie Kinsellas Shopaholic series: Shopaholic Abroad (Shopaholic Takes Manhattan)

With her shopping excesses (somewhat) in check and her career as a TV financial guru thriving, Becky’s biggest problem seems to be tearing her entrepreneur boyfriend, Luke, away from work for a romantic country weekend. And worse, figuring out how to pack light. But packing takes on a whole new meaning when Luke announces he’s moving to New York for business—and he asks Becky to go with him! Before you can say “Prada sample sale,” Becky has landed in the Big Apple, home of Park Avenue penthouses and luxury boutiques.

Surely it’s only a matter of time until she becomes an American TV celebrity, and she and Luke are the toast of Gotham society. Nothing can stand in their way, especially with Becky’s bills miles away in London. But then an unexpected disaster threatens her career prospects, her relationship with Luke, and her available credit line! Shopaholic Takes Manhattan—but will she have to return it?

I love that I have found this group. I am such a bookworm. Looking forward to going on Maternity leave in a few months to get some decent readingin!!

Total fan of the whole twilight series and Host also by stephanie Meyer. Love David Eddings and Terry Goodkind - al about wizards and dragons and things)
Most Romcoms as well I like.
If anyone has any suggestions then let me know.

Hugs
Jay

I finally managed to read Fractured by Karin slaughter as my ericas finally sleeping all night!!
Its brilliant, if you like murder books give it a go x:) i had difficulty putting it down, the plot was good but not over complicated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->