*Book Club*

Eiroze

Reaction score
I remember a thread on BnB a couple of days ago which revealed there's quite a few avid readers on here!

I was wondering who might be interested in making a BnB book club?

Anyho, pop in, tell us the latest book you're reading and what you think of it =P

Book I'm reading: Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah

Kinda cheating as I've read this a thousand times! It's one of my favourite books - her biography of growing up in China - it never fails to make me cry! Easy read - as I can never put it down.
The book, "Chinese Cinderella", is the true story of an unwanted daughter. Written by Adeline Yen Mah, it tells of the first part of her difficult childhood and struggle for love, friendship, and acceptance. From a young age, Adeline is highly intelligent, academic, and mature beyond her years. Which, though it may not be shown in her actions, is evidenced in her reactions. Adeline has incredible potential but is unable to recognize it or believe she is special. This is because Adeline is controlled by her own self-loathing. This self-hatred has been slowly applied by the constant abuse from her stereotypically evil stepmother “Niang” (the Chinese term for mother). She is told from a young age that her birth killed her mother and is treated like trash by almost all members of the Yen family. Adeline is very successful in school, and a bit of a school celebrity due to her writing skills. She seeks escape from her life, and finds it when writing. Also, she wants love from her father who doesn't pay any attention to her. Adeline is a strong, determined, and very stubborn character but is desperate for acceptance and love from her father. She lives in a very isolated and lonely environment, and has virtually no one to talk to. At school she is unable to truly connect with her peers because she has so much to hide from them. This neglected upbringing has molded Adeline into the adult she is today, and has caused her to constantly struggle to love and accept herself.Adeline was a strong child, and she probably hopes that we as children should also be strong; just like her.

This sounds awesome, I love reading.

I'm currently reading: Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult.

I've almost finished, can't put it down :)

As an assistant district attorney, Nina Frost prosecutes the sort of crimes that tear families apart. But when Nina and her husband discover that their five-year-old son Nathaniel has been sexually abused, it is her own family that is devastated. The world Nina inhabits now seems different from the one she lived in yesterday; the lines between family and professional life are erased; and answers to questions she thought she knew are no longer easy to find.
Overcome by anger and desperate for vengeance, Nina ignites a battle that may cause her to lose the very thing she's fighting for.

I read mainly stephen king :) I will update when I start my next book tho :) which ill b in the nxt few days :)

:hugs:

sounds like a great idea!!!

I am reading - The Babymoon by Melanie La'Brooy
Now living in Melbourne, Isabelle and Dr Jack are expecting their first child. And, naturally, Isabelle is the very model of a calm Earth Mother-to-be. . .

Or she would be if she wasn't consumed with anxiety about finding her pelvic floor, giving birth to a human-eel hybrid or the horrifying prospect of having a child named Leroy Marvin. Even worse, as Isabelle's tummy grows, so too does the distance between her and her adored Dr Jack who, it seems, has quite different priorities. . .

But with support from a host of new mothers including her friend Fran and her sister Audrey, as well as her fellow gallerina Doug, just maybe Isabelle can make it through pregnancy and childbirth with her dignity, her relationship and some more private bits intact.

Then again, maybe not.

I am finding that it is really hard to put down....... I love it :D

just finished reading stephen king's cell. very interesting. :)

about to start his everything's eventual compilation. or maybe re-read the golden compass trilogy.

count me in this club. would love to see what the other ladies in BnB recommend for reading.

Hey :)

I'm currently reading "breaking dawn" by Stephenie Meyer.

It's the 4th and final book in the Twilight series and in my opinion the best. Here's a quick synopsis.

To be irrevocably in love with a vampire is both fantasy and nightmare woven into a dangerously heightened reality for Bella Swan. Pulled in one direction by her intense passion for Edward Cullen, and in another by her profound connection to werewolf Jacob Black, she has endured a tumultuous year of temptation, loss and strife to reach the ultimate turning point. Her imminent choice to either join the dark but seductive world of immortals or pursue a fully human life has become the thread from which the fate of two tribes hangs. Now that Bella has made her decision, a startling chain of unprecedented events is about to unfold with potentially devastating and unfathomable consequences. Just when the frayed strands of Bella's life - first discovered in TWILIGHT, then scattered and torn in NEW MOON and ECLIPSE - seem ready to heal and knit together, could they be destroyed...forever?

It is truly amazing and I'm now looking for similar authors as I'm a pretty fussy reader!

Count me in :) im currently reading the secret life of a slummy mummy, not my usual cup of tea but fancied something different. Has anyone ever read a book called SOLD, i was just thinking about it, and wondered if anyone else has? (read it i mean) xx

I love reading x
I'm Reading a book by one of my fave authors at the minute - Josephine Cox its called - Live the Dream

Handsome, wealthy and charismatic, Luke Hammond should have the world at his feet. Instead, he is immersed by in a double tragedy which rocked the quiet town of Blackburn. Luke's only respite from his respectable everyday life as owner of Hammonds' factory is the precious time he carves out each week when he seeks solace deep in the heart of the Ribble Valley where his turbulent emotions find their way into his mesmerising and powerful paintings. Lost in his thoughts and dreams, he paints watercolours, his turbulent emotions spilling out onto the canvas.

Luke's lonely nature intrigues Amy Maitland, a homely, down to earth young woman nursing her own heartache.Unaware of Luke's true identity, and the pain of his past, Amy is drawn to the quiet man who visits her best friend café every Tuesday.

Gradually, a friendship develops between the pair and intimacy blossoms. But Amy is torn between her heart and her head. She gave up her heart once before and paid the price.Can she bear to risk it again?

When she discovers who Luke really is, her feelings are in even greater turmoil. However intense her attraction for Luke, Amy's sense of honour and duty is paramount.

Then disaster strikes the factory.As Luke's past returns to haunt him, Amy is made to fear for the life of her best friend Daisy, and suddenly the future is very dangerous indeed…

sounds like a great idea!!!

I am reading - The Babymoon by Melanie La'Brooy

mummy to be - I LOVE Melanie La'Brooy! She's brilliant!
Have you read the first book about Isabelle and Jack? So good. :)

I have just finished Thousand Splendid Suns, by the guy whose name I've forgotten (he also wrote The Kite Runner). It was sad, but really good.
I have recently discovered the joy that is our local library. I've never been a fan of libraries (because I don't like to give books back!) but I am so loving it... I just go online, search for the book I want in the catalogue, reserve it then just go pick it up when it's ready! SO easy!! Probably everybody else in the world has been on to that little trick for years, but it's pretty exciting for me!! :rofl:

I am currently reading Somewhere South of Here, but William Kowalski. It's a follow-up to his previous book, Eddie's Bast**d (which I really enjoyed). It picks up with Billy (from the first book) heading for Santa Fe to find his mother.
His mother's last known address was a house on a side street in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Billy's arrival there turns out to be far from journey's end. It is the start of a peppery and frenetic series of encounters as colourful as anything seen in the circus where one of his new acquaintances grew up. Billy discovers before long that relationships are intertwining in a way that throws up problems he never dreamed of, and he is faced with a tough choice between the woman he has grown to love and the woman who gave him birth. The story is populated by an engaging set of characters, some of them quirky and all so vividly defined that you feel you've known them for years. Kowalski's writing style is similar - chatty, direct and at times humorous, like an enthusiastic pal telling you of his escapades. An excellent sequel from a natural storyteller.

So far I'm loving it.

A Thousand Splendid Suns...I have that in my room, I'm scared to read it :rofl:. Is it as graphic as the Kite Runner? I LOVED that book so much but a lot of it made me really sick because it was so graphic

To be honest it's so long since I read Kite Runner I can't remember too much detail... It's fairly brutal at times, and seems like it might be a reasonably accurate portrayal of how life might have been for these women. Certainly not a light read, but I think it does give incite into some difficult times. I didn't cry as much as I did reading Kite Runner... although that could just be because I read most of it on the train!!!

Yeah the worst part of the Kite Runner was the rape scene, I was pretty much traumatized reading that.

I love the guy who writes these things, he is just absolutely amazing.

Lately my Brother borrowed me his book 'child 44' which is about children getting lost by a easue of the soviet union system, and one person tries to find how that comes.

Count me in :) im currently reading the secret life of a slummy mummy, not my usual cup of tea but fancied something different. Has anyone ever read a book called SOLD, i was just thinking about it, and wondered if anyone else has? (read it i mean) xx

Hi, Yes I have read this book - if it is about two sisters that were tricked to go to Iran or one of those countries by their father and left there to struggle and forced into marriage. It is very good, and also quite sad. There is a sequel to it as well which wasnt that great

A Thousand Splendid Suns...I have that in my room, I'm scared to read it :rofl:. Is it as graphic as the Kite Runner? I LOVED that book so much but a lot of it made me really sick because it was so graphic

It is a splendid book and not as graphic as the Kite Runner. A really great read

I have recently been re-reading some books I read in Highschool, guess I am feeling a bit nostalgic lol. I read The Finding by Nina Bawden about a baby abandoned in the arms of the Sphynx on the Thames and am now re-reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Although we wrote essays on these books at school and analysed them, I am only now picking up on many of the important points in the books especially To Kill A Mockingbird. I need to finish Breaking Dawn though!! Lol I started it, put it down and dont seem to be in the right frame of mind to read it at the moment, depends on my mood. Lol but I do need to find out what happens before someone spoils it for me xxx

anyone like joanne harris stuff? she wrote chocolat. xx

I'm currently reading Watership Down, which is a fantastic read. Seeing the world through rabbit eyes is very interesting. Next on the list is A Thousand Splendid Suns -- glad to hear it is good! :dance:

anyone like joanne harris stuff? she wrote chocolat. xx

She wrote a really weird book about vampires - cant remember its name though....

I've got the twilight series and the second of the Steig Larssons books on the go, plus the new Stuart MacBride one waiting to be read.......

We should do book swaps if we were organised enough - I have so many books its sad to see them sitting unread in the book case xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->