Booking Apps - What happened at yours?

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
I had mine yesterday and all I got was a wee chat, we filled in the book and she weighed and measured me. I got a shock as I weighed in at 15 stone - I was 14 on Sunday at home AND at my flat AND at the gym - so I don't trust her scales!
She said she would write to the hospital asking for a scan and saying I'm pregnant, then she doesn't need to see me till week 16 then not again till week 32.
As I am young fit and healthy as she put it, I am down for the minimal level of care. I am happy and a bit scared now as I do have friends who have had babies, but they were slightly risky pregnancies, so had higher levels of care. So I feel a bit ................clueless still. And scared stiff!
She said they need to do my scan soon as I am 12 weeks today - I DID highlight that I had to wait 3 weeks for my app to see her - and 2 weeks before that to see the doc.
My colleague was saying that she thought I should have gotten a bit more, but I guess it is different for each midwife.

Hi. I never had a midwife. Here we have 2 ultrasounds. One about 8 weeks, and the second at 20 weeks. And the doctor visits are every month until the 8 en half 9 month mark, where we go every week. guess it is so differant in parts of the world..Good Luck!!

Mine was pretty much the same as yours Abz. She went through a few forms, took my BP, weight and some bloods and then had a quick chat about whether I had any thoughts on breast feeding and birthing options and stuff. I'm classed as low risk too at the moment (have to see a consultant later in the week though; think that might change :() so have only seen her twice so far.

I know what you mean - it does feel kinda like you're 'going it alone' to a certain extent, but she's always at the end of a phone if you're worried. And we're all here too! :D Have you got any good books to read up on stuff? xx

lousielou - My friend who had a baby this year has leant me some books which I have read a bit of. I have got to the point where I am not sure i want to know any more just yet. lol. I had my know-it-all mate telling me that she was told when she was 15 weeks that its just a tiny ball of goo - even at 15 weeks and contradicting everything that the books said! I think the doc was telling her that cos she was having a termination and well, just to make her feel better.

Im quite happy that I will be in the midwife unit tho - it sounds good, they can put the mattresses on the floor for you, you get gym balls, birthing pool, u can do what you want effectively - she said its set up like a little house in a way.

I half feel I want my hand held, but also that I don;t want bombarded with info - gosh I am hard to please right now!

lousielou - My friend who had a baby this year has leant me some books which I have read a bit of. I have got to the point where I am not sure i want to know any more just yet. lol. I had my know-it-all mate telling me that she was told when she was 15 weeks that its just a tiny ball of goo - even at 15 weeks and contradicting everything that the books said! I think the doc was telling her that cos she was having a termination and well, just to make her feel better.

Im quite happy that I will be in the midwife unit tho - it sounds good, they can put the mattresses on the floor for you, you get gym balls, birthing pool, u can do what you want effectively - she said its set up like a little house in a way.

I half feel I want my hand held, but also that I don;t want bombarded with info - gosh I am hard to please right now!

When I rang my GP and said I was pregnant, they told me they didn't need to see me because tests these days are so accurate and to ring the midwife and do everything directly. So I rang the midwives and she said to ring the antenatal clinic to arrange my booking in when I was about 7/8 weeks as they wouldn't see me til 10/11 weeks. She said it'll take about an hour and a half and they'll take a blood and urine sample. I also imagine I'll get my FS8 and my Bounty pack and early pregnancy pack (as I didn't get this from the GP although it would be compeltely pointless now). She also said they'd book my scan in while I was there.

I am beginning to think that the maternity care north of the border is a bit pants then :(. Although it may just be my medical practise.
I have to do a lot of searching myself for things. For info.

I've been talking to a few girls on another forum and it does seem to differ dramatically by area.

Yup, that's very true - different health authorities have dramatically different ways of doing things, as well as timescales etc.

I saw my midwife this week (9 weeks), I've got my first scan in 3 weeks (12 weeks), then the midwife wants to see me after 15 weeks to do the blood test for downes syndrome, then there will be the 20 week scan....then I'm not sure what happens after that.

At my booking in appointment, my MW asked me lots of questions about my health, H's health and immediate family's health. She weighed me (on broken scales!!) and took my height, because of high BMI i will be referred to a Consultant and Anaesthetist. No bloods were taken as I originally wanted baby in different health board, this has changed and I have been back for my bloods. At no point have I been asked for a urine sample. For all they know I have made this pregnancy up.

My appointment last 45 minutes and I must admit I was vdery deflated by it. MW was lovely though.

Cx

Clartylou - Must be a Scottish thing then! I just cant believe I was given into trouble for having my app so late - when it wasn't my fault! I really think that they should have a national agreed plan for managing pregnancies, to stop people from worrying or disparing that they are not getting the level fo care they think they should have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->