Books for dads to be

Mrsmac02

TTC #1
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Have any of you OH's been reading up? My DH has never been around babies and I think he's quite anxious so I'd like to buy him a book that will help him prepare.

I think he's most anxious about labour (he gets really upset if he sees me upset and will be keen to try and help) and holding a newborn baby.

If anyone has any recommendations, let me know! Xx

I bought my OH 'Pregnancy for men : the whole 9 months' by Mark Woods for Christmas. He's actually been reading it, which is quite an achievement for him as he never reads, so I'm planning on buying the next Mark Woods book 'Babies and Toddlers for men: from newborn to nursery.'
I haven't read them but my OH said they are written in a kind of jokey informal way so easier to read and get into. They have really good reviews on amazon as well, that's where I bought the first and plan to buy the second.

Thanks Sarah, I'll have a look at that one. Someone at work recommended 'dude you're going to be a dad' but also said its not terribly informative xx

It doesn't help prepare them for labour, but I bought "Your baby - week by week" when my daughter was born, and my hubby found it really good too. It's split up into weekly chapters, with subsections for feeding, changing, sleeping etc, so it gives you the details you need to know in a concise way without too much reading involved. I think it gave both of us more confidence in dealing with a newborn given that neither of us had much experience of babies. :shrug:

Are there any antenatal classes for dads around where you are? I started classes 2 weeks ago and they didn't have any specific classes arranged for dad to go to and I mentioned I thought it would be a good idea so this Thursday all the dads will be going along. My OH is very worried about labour too because he dreads seeing me in pain and not understanding what's really going on and what to expect. I'll also take him along to some other classes that I think he might benefit from. I can't imagine my OH wanting to read a book about it but he does seem keen on the classes. GL, hope you find a good book or some classes your hubby can go to xx

I bought my OH 'Pregnancy for men : the whole 9 months' by Mark Woods for Christmas. He's actually been reading it, which is quite an achievement for him as he never reads, so I'm planning on buying the next Mark Woods book 'Babies and Toddlers for men: from newborn to nursery.'
I haven't read them but my OH said they are written in a kind of jokey informal way so easier to read and get into. They have really good reviews on amazon as well, that's where I bought the first and plan to buy the second.

Also recommend this one, Hubbie really enjoyed it and there are lots of quotes and advice from real dads. I read it too and it does have lots good info but presented in a non scary way

For fathers day, I got my OH the Haynes Manual: Babies. It's designed for men to understand conception, pregnancy, birth and up to 2 years :D

COMMANDO DAD! Especially if you have a hubby who likes a book that gets to the point and isn't wishy washy - full of extra info that only we would read. He hates my 'what to expect' book, it just makes him bored. He loves 'commando dad' because it's fun and gives lists and has a nice simple layout. I would definitely recommend it! (Plus it goes up to toddler years).

Not a book but I'd highly recommend the Daisy Birthing Couples Workshop. It's great for preparing dads-to-be for how they can help during labour, which will be good for both of you.

I bought "A Dad's Guide; pregnancy for dummies" for DH at Valentines day :)

Bought mine Haynes Baby manual (not read at all and gathering dust under the coffee table) and Commando Dad.

He's ex-forces so he made a bee-line for Commando Dad and really rates it. As Cordelia says - it's very 'To the point' and gives instructions in simple linear list form which OH appreciates. Also - actually uses proper (British) Military slang (cookhouse, bergen, etc) which OH can relate to. Actually got OH interested in the whole child-rearing caper. Now he can't wait for the 'new recruit'....

You don't have to be ex-forces to understand it though as the book is very well written and is full of good diagrams etc.

Really good section on the different types of poo - which was enlightening... and treats nappy changing as an NSP.

(Sorry - I got it myself as I spent 6 years in the TA... I'm such a saddo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->