Books V's Films

I thought the tv adaptation of game of thrones is amazing so far, I know a lot of films dont live up to the books so a lot of the time I try to think of the films completly seperate to the books though I often point out to my mum which parts have been cut out x

I thought the tv adaptation of game of thrones is amazing so far, I know a lot of films dont live up to the books so a lot of the time I try to think of the films completly seperate to the books though I often point out to my mum which parts have been cut out x

Totally agree!
I was really impressed by how closely they stuck to the book for the first season. George R.R. Martin was a screenwriter for a long time. Not sure if he was involved with the adaptation to the series or not, but his work translates very well with minimal change.

cant think of any at all!!!

the most annoying thing abought twilight film (there are many things that annoy me about it!!) is that they left out the scene where she faints in biology & he swoops her up & takes her to the nurse... that would have looked really romantic on screen. oh, and also when she figures out he's a vampire: "i know what you are" blah blah blah "quick you have to see me in the sunlight!" faaar too rushed, doesnt it take weeks of persuasion in the book??

But i must admit, i dont mind having to look at the pretty pictures!!!

The only film I have ever found that cam close to doing the book justice was Fellowship of the rings(only the extended version though) two towers didnt realy and I was furious at the ending change in return of the king.

OH has actualy banned me from watching films based on books because I spend the whole time ripping it appart and saying things like "that didnt happen in the book" or "someone else said that" :)

I do however enjoy it when they bring out a book after the film based on the film because it quite often gives you a further insight into charecters that you didnt realise while watching the film, ie what they are thinking and feeling and often adds sense to a film.

Totally agree!
I was really impressed by how closely they stuck to the book for the first season. George R.R. Martin was a screenwriter for a long time. Not sure if he was involved with the adaptation to the series or not, but his work translates very well with minimal change.

I was quite impressed with that as well but sadly its only ever the first seasons that stick to the books, after that they seem to add poetic liscence once people are hooked like they did with true blood.

I loved the Philip Pullman Northern Lights trilogy....but then The Golden Compass was so bad we walked out halfway through!

Dont get me started on that pile of poo, we didnt walk out though as we didnt get chance, we got asked to leave because I wouldnt shut up slating it in the cinema :) I then tried to watch it again later on dvd but gave up when I started shouting at the order of events they did it in

Eragon was another one, ok it wasnt a great book but not bad for a 16 year old writter and I enjoyed ti enough but my god the film was just awfull, no wonder these 2 films had all funding pulled to make thier sequals

The Game Of Thrones was done beautifully!

I also loved Harry Potter but the books were better. My favorite were the Lord Of The Rings.

Keep in mind when they are doing the movies they have to consider that they are catoring to a different audience at some points so will make changes for that. However, for the most part I agree that book to movie adaptions are pretty crappy most of the time.

I thought The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas was very well done as a film, although you lose a bit of the naivety from the book. I agree Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me are good adaptations, also The Green Mile is another good Stephen King adaptation.

Terry pratchett is always going to be tricky as I know most fans have their ideal cast for the characters but I thought what I saw of The Hogfather was good (have only seen a bit of it though).

I'm just reading Gone With The Wind at the moment and the film is very faithful to the book, although as the film is so long I guess they had no excuse.

I also like the film adaptation of Miss Pettigrew lives for a day.

IT did 'they all float' *shudders*

The original Willy Wonka, God i love that film.

The film The Lovely Bones was a HUGE disappointment :(

V xx

The Body By Stephen King came close with Stand By Me.

V xxx

I refuse to watch the Twilight films because i enjoyed the books so much, the films couldn't possible live up to my expectations.

I thought Memoirs of a Geisha was done quite well. I loved the book so was nervous in case the film was rubbish, but i like the film as well.

I haven't seen or read any Harry Potter so can't comment on that :shrug:

DH just bought me the book Forrest Gump. I'd only ever seen the film and I have to say in this case the film is better. Much, much better.

Girl interupted wasn't a terrible film, actually I quite like it :blush:
They do miss quite a bit out but it doesn't annoy me as much as other book to film books iygwim.

I've had to stop myself from watching 'One Day' as I love the book (makes me cry every time!) and Anne Hathaway(sp?) is just the WRONG person to play Emma!! :(

Girl interupted wasn't a terrible film, actually I quite like it :blush:
They do miss quite a bit out but it doesn't annoy me as much as other book to film books iygwim.

That's true actually, i have both the book and film :thumbup:

I think Martina Cole books are always adapted quite well, I think because they do them on TV over 4-6 Episodes they can always get so much more into them, than an 1hr1/2 film

I've never read Terry Pratchett but loved The Hogfather on TV last year(year before?)

The Hogfather was not bad actually on tv, but Terry Pratchett's Discworld books will always been impossible to do as well on screen - there's so much wit in the narrative not just the dialogue or actions. And Death is very hard to portray on screen especially the leaden voice that you "have heard rather than hear".

I think Martina Cole books are always adapted quite well, I think because they do them on TV over 4-6 Episodes they can always get so much more into them, than an 1hr1/2 film

I've never read Terry Pratchett but loved The Hogfather on TV last year(year before?)

The Hogfather was not bad actually on tv, but Terry Pratchett's Discworld books will always been impossible to do as well on screen - there's so much wit in the narrative not just the dialogue or actions. And Death is very hard to portray on screen especially the leaden voice that you "have heard rather than hear".

I haven't seen the Hogfather, but they did that 'Death-voice' thing very well on Meet Joe Black before Death turned into Brad Pitt.

I am currently refusing to watch Eat Pray Love until I finish the book which shouldn't be long lol!

I think the movie Shawshank Redemption was way better than the book, but perhaps if the book were as long as as Stephen King's other books, I'd feel differently.

Otherwise, usually the books I've read are better than the movies.

everyone turns team Jacob in the end :rofl: though i was always on his side! Wanted the little fantasy Bella has of her, Jake and a little curly haired child to come true, i guess i kinda got my wish in the end.
No film has ever lived up to any book. However i am addicted to the tv show vampire diaries but didn't really get on with the books, the show is completely different though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->