Books V's Films

Jo

I'm an old bag!
Reaction score
Has anyone ever watched a film that has lived up to the book?

The only one I can think of that comes close Is IT by Stephen King

The book scared me to bits but the film did a pretty good job too, I hate that bloody Pennywise, The image still sends me cold.

The Twilight series really disapointed me, I thought New Moon was a better film than Twighlight but have just watched Eclipse and it is really bad compared to the book,

I know that have to cut things out but they seem to cut chunks out of them, I also think they miscast badly at times.

Bella in the book is a pretty Feisty chick but is just bloody wet in the films.

I was also Team Edward when reading the books but turned to Jacob in the film :blush:

Hmmm.....I'm trying to think of any.

I can certainly come up with alot that HAVEN'T lived up to the books!

nope :(

I make a point of not watching films now where I have read the book because it leads to utter disappointment

Harry Potter was a huge disappointment :(

Really? Wow, I thought the Harry Potter movies were pretty good. But then again I never read the series.

I really try to think of them as two separate entities. Otherwise, I just get annoyed. :)

I really try to think of them as two separate entities. Otherwise, I just get annoyed. :)

Definatly agree with this, also about harry potter was a big let down...although i havent watched the new one yet:thumbup: Im trying to wait til the 2nd part comes out )

I think alot of the older films are probably good comparisons
Like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Oliver, The Railway Children etc

Yeah, they have missed so much out of the harry potter films :( I haven't watched any after the 4th one because the 4th book is my favorite and the film is a HUGE let down :(

See I loved the Twilight books & the Films but that could have something to do with a certain Mr Pattinson :cloud9:

Harry Potter books are Amazing & the films are a let down but I still watch them lol x

The biggest Let down for me was P.S I Love you they should never have made this in to a film the casting was totally wrong!!! the whole thing is WRONG!!
The book is set in Ireland - the film is set in USA
All the characters in the book are Irish - in the film everyone is American apart from Gerry :growlmad: and even though I love Gerad Butler & thought he was the only good thing about that film, he isnt even Irish, he's scottish
The film just really annoyed me

I was soooooo pissed when the movie, "The Other Boleyn Girl" came out. The book was a million times better. They left out too much detail....hated the costumes, the lighting. It seemed very fake to me.

Other Boleyn Girl - I read the book and saw the film and do remember thinking the film should have been a lot better. I can't remember specifics, though. I thought that the casting was so strong that it should have been much better.

See I loved the Twilight books & the Films but that could have something to do with a certain Mr Pattinson :cloud9:

Harry Potter books are Amazing & the films are a let down but I still watch them lol x

The biggest Let down for me was P.S I Love you they should never have made this in to a film the casting was totally wrong!!! the whole thing is WRONG!!
The book is set in Ireland - the film is set in USA
All the characters in the book are Irish - in the film everyone is American apart from Gerry :growlmad: and even though I love Gerad Butler & thought he was the only good thing about that film, he isnt even Irish, he's scottish
The film just really annoyed me

Totally agree with you about PS I love you. It totally lost the setiment of the book. Don't get me started on Geraard Butlers terrible attempt at an Irish accent.

Then there are examples of a book and it's TV/film adaptation that I think stand really well on their own: True Blood and the Sookie Stackhouse novels would be one.
I think there are much better writers on the TV show and that they've done a great adaptation of some of the plotlines from the books and the basic world that the author created. I like Charlaine Harris' "sookieverse", or the fictional world she created, and I think Sookie is a really fun narrative voice, but those novels are such sloppy writing, they make me crazy. :nope:
So I just enjoy each genre on its own and try not to make comparisons.

I think Martina Cole books are always adapted quite well, I think because they do them on TV over 4-6 Episodes they can always get so much more into them, than an 1hr1/2 film

I've never read Terry Pratchett but loved The Hogfather on TV last year(year before?)

Very disappointed with Twilight. Read all 4 books within a week and couldn't wait to watch it but it was nothing compared to the book!

PS. I love you - disgustingly bad casting and the ethos and sentiment of the book was completely lost. It still made me cry though!

xx

IT was a good film, although they did have to shorten it a lot from the book. And I don't think a lot of SK books really work as films, not the more ghostie-monster type books anyway.

But The Shawshank Redemption is fantastic, book and film, I loved them both. And Stand By Me/The Body both work as book and film.

Harry Potter I like as films but again, as the books got longer the stories were being cut down for the films and sometimes that really jars you out of the story.

The Lord of the Rings film trilogy was fantastic in my eyes, yes they had to shorten them a bit (four hour long films and I'm calling them shortened) but they still did a brilliant job with them.

And I love Cold Comfort Farm, I think they stayed very faithful to the book with that one.

The Lovely Bones was a brilliant, brilliant book. I waited so long to see the film, and was really disappointed by it.

The same applied for My Sisters Keeper. The ending was just, well, wrong. I really hate it when they change the book!

I can't think of any good adaptions but bad ones, recent ones have to be

P.S I love you- was totally wrong as others said about the set and cast.

My sisters keeper- swapped a fab ending for utterly shit ending, and Diaz as a mum? WTF!!!

Lovely bones- fab book, not too bad of a film, the girl who played the main part was a really good actress

Twilight- Kristen Stewart gets right up my nose, ever heard of cracking a smile? It won't kill you, she is just a miserable IRL as she is in the films!!!

I must admit I love HP books and films though, but they do miss big chunks out of the films!

I loved the Philip Pullman Northern Lights trilogy....but then The Golden Compass was so bad we walked out halfway through!

The Maltese Falcon was an excellent film in comparison to a pretty non-descript book :thumbup: Agree with TM, The Lovely Bones was beautifully done. I enjoyed the harry potter films up until number 4. xx

I totally agree with u about twilight.

Every film I have ever seen after reading the book is total rubbish.

Also Harry potter are my all time fave books, but I liked my version of the characters.. since I've seen the films I imagine the characters looking like the film stars. They've got better... the 1st 1 was total naff. But still will never come close to the books.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->