Bored of milk before weaning?

missy55

Mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Hi, Lexi is 22 weeks (5 months today!) and we give her 5 7oz bottles throughout the day. Over the last couple of weeks, she has rarely finished the bottle, taking about 5 or 6oz. She is still putting weight on and is not crabby wanting more. Before, she was draining each bottle.

Could she be bored of milk? If so, is this a sign of being ready for weaning. We really want to wait till 6 months but obviously watching out for signs if we need to do it earlier.

She sleeps well at night, some nights she wakes around 5am for a feed, others she sleeps through.

Hi, Ruby started taking less milk a couple of weeks ago. She used to drain 9oz now she only takes 4-7oz on average.
My HV said it's nothing to worry about.
I certainly don't think it is a sign of needing to be weaned.

I was wondering this too. Lexi sounds exactly like my Euan. He was 5 months on Monday, still sleeping through but over the last day or so he's been slightly less interested in his bottles and I've wondering whether it is anything to do with needing something more. About a week ago we did increase his 7oz bottles up to 8oz.

But to be honest I actually think it's more to do with his gums starting to hurt and the start of teething. Also last night he woke up at 11pm with a really bunged up, snotty nose so I think he's got a little bit of a cold.

Like you though, I'm constantly looking out for the signs of needing/wanting something other than milk and really want to put it off til he's 6 months. I think I'm just apprehensive about the whole thing though so I'm reading too much into things I don't need to!

LO had a mega spurt right from 4 months through to 5 months, so I was suprised when he stopped taking as much milk. I thought the mega spurt feeding was his normal.

Also, I don't think there is any danger in waiting till 6 months, even if LO is appearing developmentally ready. We waited till 6 months despite LO showing all the signs of readiness. He could sit unaided at 4 months, had lost the tongue thrust reflex and could chew. He was also able to use a crude pincer grip to pick things up and put them in his mouth. I don't regret waiting.

Reuben has been exactly the same, he went from 6oz to 8oz bottles very quickly during a growth spurt around 3.5months. he was draining almost 8oz most times, now, he takes anything from 5oz-8oz, and sometimes even 5oz is hard to get down him!

I agree with Lulu, and think it is to do with teething, as Reuben has the glowing cheeks/wants a cool soother alot etc. I also think that he took all that milk during his growth spurt, and has now settled iykwim?

I am weaning this weekend (LO will be 25 weeks) as i return to work on Monday, and want to try to give him a couple of days to get into it. If anything, my fear has been to try to hold off on weaning as long as possible, as it is hard enough getting my LO to drink some days, never mind when he gets full on veggies etc! I dont think your LO nexessarily has a disinterest in his milk, more that she has just found where to settle.

The HV told me today that they need 600ml minimum per day of milk while weaning. She also said that weaning is not to 'feed' your baby, it is to introduce tastes, the process of eating, sitting down for a meal etc, and so for that reason, the 600ml milk provides all the nutrients, and the food is an extra. So i guess, so long as your LO is getting 600ml, then she does not need more, and if you want to wait till 6 months for weaning, it should be fine

My little lady stopped taking as much milk, then I noticed she had a tooth cut through, after a week she was back on her milk again.
Any teeth yet?
lol
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back