Born at 23 weeks...and alive almost 18 years later!

Disneydancr

Reaction score
I posted this in the 2nd Trimester forum, and it was suggested I repost here. I hope it helps give you all hope and brightens your day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGug_VBiPVA

This is my cousin, Miracle, and I thought you ladies would enjoy seeing this video. She's now 17 years old!!!! It really makes me think, because my LO is at 23 weeks and it just shows how alive she really is!

Thats amazing. This is why the abortion limit should be reduced! Its awful to think that in the UK they wont help a baby born under 24 weeks!

Thats amazing. This is why the abortion limit should be reduced! Its awful to think that in the UK they wont help a baby born under 24 weeks!

They do help babies under 24 weeks though.

The story is great, but the fact is, very few babies born at 23 weeks make it into NICU, let alone survive sadly. Survival rates for babies at 23 weeks gestation is still only 10%, so that's only a 5% increase in 18 years. Of course, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't help babies, but that parents should be realistic.

I completely agree the abortion limit should be reduced. I know they have said babies can't feel pain at 23 weeks, but Imogen, our daughter, definitely didn't like it when they did her heel pick blood tests.

This is Imogen, born at 23+5, she was 1lb 4oz too.

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/P5071340.jpg

I think its awful the abortion limit, my son was born at 21 weeks and he was alive and kicking for over 2 hours. Deep down i know that he wouldnt have survived but to able to abort at this age is shocking. My son was giving a 3per cent chance of survival IF he made it through the birth, he is know 23weeks old and doing really well.

A baby is a baby and you shouldnt be able to abort after 12 weeks unless for medical reasons!

They do help babies under 24 weeks though.

The story is great, but the fact is, very few babies born at 23 weeks make it into NICU, let alone survive sadly. Survival rates for babies at 23 weeks gestation is still only 10%, so that's only a 5% increase in 18 years. Of course, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't help babies, but that parents should be realistic.

I completely agree the abortion limit should be reduced. I know they have said babies can't feel pain at 23 weeks, but Imogen, our daughter, definitely didn't like it when they did her heel pick blood tests.

This is Imogen, born at 23+5, she was 1lb 4oz too.

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/P5071340.jpg

Not all NHS hospitals. I was warned this when I had my consultant appointment at 20 weeks. The hospital would not help a baby under 24 weeks!

[340.jpg[/IMG]

Not all NHS hospitals. I was warned this when I had my consultant appointment at 20 weeks. The hospital would not help a baby under 24 weeks![/QUOTE]

I was told the same Laura, at least weekly whilst still pregnant, (I asked at every single appointment!) that it was the blanket policy of the hospital I would give birth in not to help babies born under 24 weeks. During labour the neonatologist really tried to talk me out of helping the girls. The first thing I was told by the obstetrician when I went in labour was that my babies would probably be born alive and they would die, they don't help babies under 24 weeks. I thought that they helped them as I had really done my research and knew where I stood legally and medically and I insisted.

However, at our review appointment, the same neonatologist told me that they have never not tried to help a baby born between 23 and 24 weeks, despite hospital policy, that the parents always wanted them to do something. He also told me though, that out of all the 23 weekers they try to help, only two per year on average are even able to be resusctitated enough to make it onto the NICU and only one per year on average would survive.

The Nuffield Study on Bioethics, which is what most neonatologists use as a guideline, does state that parents wishes should be taken into account.

this is a subject that is close to my heart my daughter was born at 22 weeks 4 days in july 2009 the doctors checked her over and refused to help her ! she lived and fought for three and a half hours all the time breathing unaided with a strong heartbeat we had already lost a son at 21 weeks to a condition which meant he had no kidneys or urinary system and begged them to try and save her they still refused. i complained to the local health trust and their answer in a long letter was the dr was following guidelines all in one paragraph and they then followed by making more of a point that we did not see her until she was 2 hours old, no1 we were a mess it was happening again after7 short months and we were not even informed she was still alive until we asked to leave the hospital needless to say with this pregnancy i have changed care providers.

[340.jpg[/IMG]

Not all NHS hospitals. I was warned this when I had my consultant appointment at 20 weeks. The hospital would not help a baby under 24 weeks!

I was told the same Laura, at least weekly whilst still pregnant, (I asked at every single appointment!) that it was the blanket policy of the hospital I would give birth in not to help babies born under 24 weeks. During labour the neonatologist really tried to talk me out of helping the girls. The first thing I was told by the obstetrician when I went in labour was that my babies would probably be born alive and they would die, they don't help babies under 24 weeks. I thought that they helped them as I had really done my research and knew where I stood legally and medically and I insisted.

However, at our review appointment, the same neonatologist told me that they have never not tried to help a baby born between 23 and 24 weeks, despite hospital policy, that the parents always wanted them to do something. He also told me though, that out of all the 23 weekers they try to help, only two per year on average are even able to be resusctitated enough to make it onto the NICU and only one per year on average would survive.

The Nuffield Study on Bioethics, which is what most neonatologists use as a guideline, does state that parents wishes should be taken into account.[/QUOTE]

But it doesnt mean every hospital breaks policy rules does it.

Both neonatal units I was in helped 23 week babies and I do agree they should be helped but there also has to be a limit as these extreme prem babies go through so much to survive i cant imagine what a baby any earlier would have to go through.

Unfortunately being born alive is no guarantee they will be ok. My first twin had no heartbeat and had to be resuscitated and my second twin had a heartbeat. The night of being born twin 2 was stronger and the next night twin 2 passed away and twin 1 came home just before her due date.

The ideal thing would be for them to find a prevention for premature labour!

[But it doesnt mean every hospital breaks policy rules does it.

My point is, they are flexible. No matter what their policy, if a parent insists on resusctitation and they refuse, they are treading on very thin ice legally, due to the guidelines given by the Nuffield study.

At one point, Megan, our first twin, wasn't responding to resus, her heart rate wasn't rising when she was given oxygen. They had intubated her, given her surfectants etc and the neonatologist told us that the next step would be to give her adrenalin and chest compressions, but he didn't want to do that. However, the decision was ours and had we have wanted to go down that route, he would have done so.

Of course, I was in the 'lucky' position that I was well aware I would probably go into labour around 24 weeks, if not before and so I was already fully informed about what would happen, what the potential outcomes were and what long term complications and disabilities were likely to arise with a 23 weeker. I do think that helped, it was obvious I knew what I was talking about, (the neonataologist has since told me I am the only woman in labour who has quoted the nuffield study on bioethics to him!) and I have no doubt they suspected I would take legal action if they didn't help my babies.

[But it doesnt mean every hospital breaks policy rules does it.

My point is, they are flexible. No matter what their policy, if a parent insists on resusctitation and they refuse, they are treading on very thin ice legally, due to the guidelines given by the Nuffield study.

At one point, Megan, our first twin, wasn't responding to resus, her heart rate wasn't rising when she was given oxygen. They had intubated her, given her surfectants etc and the neonatologist told us that the next step would be to give her adrenalin and chest compressions, but he didn't want to do that. However, the decision was ours and had we have wanted to go down that route, he would have done so.

Of course, I was in the 'lucky' position that I was well aware I would probably go into labour around 24 weeks, if not before and so I was already fully informed about what would happen, what the potential outcomes were and what long term complications and disabilities were likely to arise with a 23 weeker. I do think that helped, it was obvious I knew what I was talking about, (the neonataologist has since told me I am the only woman in labour who has quoted the nuffield study on bioethics to him!) and I have no doubt they suspected I would take legal action if they didn't help my babies.

Yes but you dont know that all hospitals bend hospital policy. This is why I am saying it should be made law that babies can still survive that earlier therefore should be given a chance at life.. Your saying they are 'flexible' but have you been to each hospital and experienced it? No. I was told my hospital would not help my girls if they were born before 24 weeks.. Why would they say that to prepare me then change their minds at the last minute.. Thats wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->