• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bottle + BF, how & when to wean?

S

Serene123

Caitlyn is sooooooo hungry all the time. She gets hysterical to the point she won't latch on my boob or a bottle untill I've managed to calm her down. She is so hungry. When should I introduce food?

Also, how do you do it? Do you cut down the milk equivilent of the calories they're intaking? How can you do that with booby milk? You don't know how much they're getting. Do I replace the formula with food and keep her BF for the milk, even though I don't know how much breast milk she's actually getting, or do I stop BF (even though I don't want to) because I know how much formula she's getting and it's easier to monitor?!!

So many questions. I don't know what to do and when to do it!!

I know the recommended age to start weaning is 6 months or no sooner before 17 weeks but I started Baby rice when Joseph was 13 weeks which he hated so we replaced it with baby porridge (non flavoured) for brekkie. He was extremely hungry all the time. He used to have an 8oz bottle and was still hungry so now after breakfast (porridge) he gets a 5oz bottle.
The rest of the day we just give him his normal milk & he seems alot more satisfied

I would however recommend asking your HV for advice first before introducing solids

p.s, sorry i couldn't answer your bf question as i don't really know!

Caitlyn is at the age where she is able to try little bits of food now , no dont cut down on milk or anything she will continue taking what she wants, just give her a couple of spoonfuls of baby porridge , then when she is able to take that and bottle upgrade on pureed veges ect when you feel is right.

Ella has all her bottles and she has a dinner at night , which is veges pureed. I will add the breakfast ect when she is around 6 months depending when i feel she needs it.

You can ask you HV if you like but i never had as you know your baby and i never got along with my HV :lol: I do things they way i want :)

Yeah, dont cut down any of her milk. She may end up drinking less but you will just have to wait and see what she wants. She will be alittle fuller from the food, but her bottles are still the #1 important thing until she atleast turns 4-6mo.. then you can give her more bits of food
If I were you, I would attempt just BFing. With the added small amounts of food it might be more satisfing for her. Its worth a try nonetheless though!

Max has been eating solids since 13 weeks we started with oatmeal cereal and now almost 4 months old is eating fruits and vegies :) he still gets his formula and the boob before each meal ..come to think of it hes getting all the best stuff lol

You definitely need to bf before giving her food. Then give her the food, you aren't supposed to give them food until at least 4 months because it's at that age they can turn their head if they are full and don't want anymore. Before then can cause obesity and anemia later in life.

Give it a few days before introducing solids as she could be going through a growth spurt

I breast fed my daughter and introduced solids at 6 months.

I breastfed her until she didn't want it anymore and then i gave her a couple of teaspoons of baby rice. I did this for lunch at first.

After about 3 days i introduced it for lunch and then the same again for dinner. I then started to introduce different foods.

This was all at 6 months though and i agree with marley2580 she could be going through a growth spurt.

If your formula and breast feeding have you tryed giving her an extra ounce or 2?

Mikey was on baby rice from 12 weeks. I didn't cut down on his milk, he could occasionally take less. He wouldn't take much of the baby rice, but he was more settled and slept better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->