bottle to breastfeeding

miss maternal

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any of you are bottle feeding and breastfeeding?
My lil one wouldnt latch on easily to the breast and has a paddy so I had to put her on the bottle with formular milk but I have been expressing twice a day and giving it in a bottle as well as trying her on the breast which she does now take to but is still hungry so I end up giving a bottle as well.

My boobs are a G cup so I felt like I was sufforcating her but I want to give her the best start and breastfeed. She has put on 5 oz and is now 2 weeks old so the MW said to carry on doing what I have been doing.

Any tips on making baby comfortable while breastfeeding?

Hi there

Have you tried different positions to feed your baby in? My daughter Olivia preferred to feed lying down initially and i found it easier to get her to have a good latch that way too.
She probably needs more time at the breast to learn how to get the milk out more efficiently so she isn't as frustrated - how about offering her the breast before she is due a feed so she's not really hungry?

I would get in touch with a breastfeeding support group - do you have any locally? If not you can call one of the organisations that run phone support as well such as the NCT or Association of Breastfeeding mothers or La Leche League.

It's totally possible to get your baby back on the boob exclusively if you work hard at it

I am going to try the drop in breast feeding group this wednesday. I am carrying on expressing but its not the same as having your baby feed from you and having that closeness. I think I introduced the dummy too soon as that is her comfort and I have heard that they get confused with the different sucking methods from breast to teets!

Hi again

In the early days I also worried that I'd introduced a dummy too early and a bottle (it was only the odd bottle, not regular) but looking back I think I was too uptight when I was feeding her and I don't think she was really comfortable. It was also a cycle of me being so sore when I fed her that I often had to take her off and then latch her on again 5-10 times a feed which couldn't have been very settling.

The drop in group should give you some more ideas and encouragement. I know RachieH went from bottle to breast when her son was 3 wks old so maybe she might have some advice too.

Your little one needs time at the boob though - is it possible for you to stay in bed all day with her? That way she can help herself whenever she wants and the skin to skin will really help your milk supply too.

Caitlin wouldn't latch on and she was on bottle for a couple of days then I spoke to my home call MW and she said to now stick with the bottle as it can confuse.

Strange really as I know through the stories that other MWs would put a sh** load of pressure on but she thinks its best to stick to what she knows now plus she was having bother feeding, poss painful hiccups etc. which you have mentioned to?

:D

Just what I was told for me anyway x

Lucy has given great advice, it is completelypossible to go back to exclusive breastfeeding though you need to be aware that the bottle is easier for them to use so she may get frustrated at times. When you feed her are you supporting your breast? There is something called the c hold, here is a pic to show what I mean
https://www.llli.org/images/LVFebMar04c-hold.jpg

also some good advice here
https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/Large_Breasted_Tips.shtml
https://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,40sm,00.html

Its great ypou are going to a support group, mine was a godsend. Wish you all the luck, Seren had a few bottles at first and it took a while but I soon got her exclusively feeding. Keep with the expressing to keep your milk going

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->