bottle ?

coz

Mummy to 2 boys
Reaction score
Im not very good with bottles as i breastfeed and wanted some advice, Im going shopping tomorrow and i usually take some formula with me instead when i go for a big shop incase hes hungry and im finding it a pain making it from scratch when im out, is it ok to make the bottle before i go out ? if so how long can i keep a ready made bottle for ? xx

I've taken bottles out with me, just make sure to keep them cold and than we ask for a cup of hot water to warm them up in. The other thing we've done is put hot sterilized water in the bottle and keep the formula separate (we have a dispenser that lets us measure it out) and make the bottle as needed. If you are only using formula occassionally you might look at the ready made formulas. You don't have to warm those up or worry about them going bad, just open and use as needed. (They are kind of pricey but if you are only using them once in a while it's not so bad).

I was going to suggest the ready made cartons if you don't use formula much - saves buying a lot that you might not use, and you won't need to worry about keeping it fresh...just tip it into a steile bottle at room temperature when you need it x

They really are convenient. We've used them a few times and any long trips we make we've already decided to go with the ready-made...it's just so much more convenient

I agree...when i go out i get the ready made formula milk and just pour it in a steralised bottle when needed. However if you want to take the formula...just boil some water before you leave and add it to the steriised bottle...just add the powder when needed. I was told by cow and gate and also my HV the longest you should keep a made up bottle is 2hours after that you should get rid of it xx

we've used the ready made too, but my LO found it too rich, but that maybe because she is ff exclusively, it may be different for breast fed, im not sure :) might just be my LO! :)
we take out the boiled water and seperate powder and ask for boiling to heat in, like vickie, but saying that, thats fine for us as we bottle fed all the time, like sam's mum said you don't want to buy it all if you wont use it. i would certainly give the cartoons a go, so much easier :)

why cant you make up the milk (powder and water) and take it ready made? why add powder when out?
Just curious...

when i have given formula when out and about i have the water (at the right temp) in a flask and just add the water and formula together. my midwife told me to do that.

Christine
X

when i have given formula when out and about i have the water (at the right temp) in a flask and just add the water and formula together. my midwife told me to do that.

Christine
X

if i ever give LO a bottle i just do it at room temp. Never thought about doing it warmer - he seems fine with it.

why cant you make up the milk (powder and water) and take it ready made? why add powder when out?
Just curious...

Because you don't want the milk to go bad. We have taken it out ready made when we aren't going out for long but even than I pack the bottle in with an ice pack to keep it cold

Quoting from a good article I read this morning:

Bottles left out of the refrigerator longer than 1 hour and any formula left in the bottle that a baby doesn't finish should be discarded.

This is why you should keep the bottle cold until baby is ready to feed. If formula is left out for an 1 hour, it should be discarded.

thanks for you answers it gets so confusing, just another question do you allways have to add the formula to boiling hot water ? or if i took a bottle of boiled water out then added the formula to it when its cool would that be ok ? x

Quoting from a good article I read this morning:

Bottles left out of the refrigerator longer than 1 hour and any formula left in the bottle that a baby doesn't finish should be discarded.

This is why you should keep the bottle cold until baby is ready to feed. If formula is left out for an 1 hour, it should be discarded.

Shit i didnt know that i do it all the time..

Thanks for this im going to stop doing that ... i feel so bad now :(

thanks for you answers it gets so confusing, just another question do you allways have to add the formula to boiling hot water ? or if i took a bottle of boiled water out then added the formula to it when its cool would that be ok ? x

i do this and its fine, i then just warm it up. if the bottles of boiled water are fine for 24hours i do believe and we disregard (once made up) forumula after 1 hour. this is how we always do it and have had no problems what so ever :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->