Bottles questions?

S

Serene123

If you can't answer all of these one or two would be appreciated too.

* Is it alright to make up bottles with boiled water straight away or does it have to cool down abit first?

* How cool do they have to be before you put them in the fridge?

* If they've cooled down but havn't been in the fridge is it alright to warm them back up?

* If you have a dispenser, do you allow the boiled water to cool before you add the powder? Doesn't that defeat the object of the water being more than 70 degrees (I think it's degrees?) to kill the bacteria?

I didn't formula feed really so I don't know, but i've found this link for you, hope it helps!

https://www.milupa-aptamil.ie/baby/zeroToThreeMonths/yourBaby/articles/9/

i leave water to cool for 30 mins, then just wait until they are just warm before i put in fridge aprox another 30 mins.

I boil the kettle, leave it 15 minutes, fill his bottles, and leave them at room temp. I usually only make up 3 bottles, half a days feeds at a time. When he wants it I just heat it up and then add the milk xx

* Is it alright to make up bottles with boiled water straight away or does it have to cool down abit first?

- I only leave it about 5 minutes then i add the milk.

- I leave them on the side for about 10 minutes then straight into the fridge

* If they've cooled down but havn't been in the fridge is it alright to warm them back up?

- Yeah this should be fine hun

* If you have a dispenser, do you allow the boiled water to cool before you add the powder? Doesn't that defeat the object of the water being more than 70 degrees (I think it's degrees?) to kill the bacteria?

- Sorry dont really know what to say on this one lol.

sorry not much help lol xxxx

Leave it for 30 minutes, no longer (usually says on the tin). We used to cool it for about 25 minutes in the kettle, then make them up.

Cool them down really quickly - we used to stand ours in a sink of half filled water.

I don't think so.. I wouldn't because I think bacteria can develop this way. Milk should be discarded after being drunk/left our for an hour or more I believe.

If you had cold water bottles in the fridge, heat the water then add the powder and shake. You need the warm water to properly dissolve the powder anyway, at least this is how i've always done it and I found cold/cooler water leaves it clumpy.

Hope im right with my answers, thats what I would do personally!

Hope that helps.

i put mine into the bottles straight after its boiled

i dont put them in the fridge anymore just leave them at room temp water only on the side

if you mean before adding the formula then yes hun you can add the powder then warm it up, if you mean after the powder has been added then they dont advise it due to bacteria

what kind of dispenser do you mean hun? i just scoop out 7 scoopfulls into LO's bottle of room temp water, shake and heat X

sorry if i havent been helpful, anything ive said that doesnt make sense just ask :) x

Thank you!

So it's alright to boil the water, let the boiled water cool and then warm the water back up when you need it?

I usually wait 20-30mins before putting it in the bottles. But i have a few times put it straight in from boiling.

I dont put them in the fridge. Midwife told me not to.

Yes.

Yes i do. Then re warm it up.

I wouldn't cool them down in cold water then fridge them then reheat :|

I make up bottles cool the water for half hour leave until not too hot to fridge (not boiling feeling to bottle)

I make up Caitlins bottles up the night before but when she was baby (before 3 months) I made them more frequant in batches of 3 as she was feeding every 3 hours now she goes to bed and sleeps through so before I go to bed my last task is her bottles for the next day!

Some girls microwave to heat bottles up but we worked out somehow it made her more sicky and have stuck to at each feed warming bottle in a jug of hot water or bottle warmer then adding formula although when she was on 3 hourly feeds I'd maybe add formula to a warm bottle before fridging (middle of night feed).

Right I'll expect a telling off for this.. :blush:

I started doing this yesterday.
I sterilise the bottles while the kettles on, so by the time the bottles are sterilised the water has been cooling down for 10-15 minutes. Then I make up the bottles, water & powder. (Usually make 2-3 bottles at a time.) Leave them to cool then stick them in the fridge. Warm them up in a jug of boiling water when she wants one. Is that wrong? I don't take the lid off at any time? Does that not make a difference? I don't want her to get ill, I'd rather make them up one at a time but it's so hard to make up bottles when you're half asleep! I often lose count of scoops and have to start again!! :(

Its not recommended to make up your bottles with formula but many Mums do still my HV said the no no was an idiots guide because Mums would do their bottles up and think it was ok to stand on house radiaters for 24 hours DOH! Things like that! We tried it once but we thought as she was a sicky baby anyway this did not help ...as I say we sometimes did one of her 3 made up bottles with forumula for middle of night.

A way to help the scoop count is to buy dispensers, put the correct formula in each one and leave at the side.

1 more scoop than you should is more worrying than 1 scoop less which will not harm baby so if you are ever 'I wonder if that was scoop 3 or 4' count it as 4 if you don't have another bottle!

I do and have had no problems. My bottles don't have bisphenol A in them

I used to just chuck them in, but then my taramasalata went off one day so now I leave them to cool first :lol:

I do, no problems!

Kind of does defeat the object. When I go out I keep the water in a baby flask and use the dispenser, or I have used the carton, or I have made up a bottle and wrapped it in nappies to keep it hot. depends on how i feel, where i am going and when a feed is due.

hope this helps :hugs:

Right I'll expect a telling off for this.. :blush:

I started doing this yesterday.
I sterilise the bottles while the kettles on, so by the time the bottles are sterilised the water has been cooling down for 10-15 minutes. Then I make up the bottles, water & powder. (Usually make 2-3 bottles at a time.) Leave them to cool then stick them in the fridge. Warm them up in a jug of boiling water when she wants one. Is that wrong? I don't take the lid off at any time? Does that not make a difference? I don't want her to get ill, I'd rather make them up one at a time but it's so hard to make up bottles when you're half asleep! I often lose count of scoops and have to start again!! :(

oops didnt see this :blush:

sounds about right hun :D

Pasted from a dif thread about this coz im too lazy to write it again:blush:

what i do is...

boil the water leave it 30 mins then make up bottles with the formula (SMA gold i use) eg. 4oz water 4 scoops ;) then stick them in the fridge

and to heat them i just stick them in a jug of boiled water for few mins (test on wrist obviously to check temp )

with night feeds tho i found my LO didnt like it too warm so just took one up with me and left it at room temp and if she ever does wake thru the night i give her a room temp bottle :D

my MW and HV both said it was fine that way

They say dont make batches but when i had Carly my first they said to make them in batches and now with my second *rules have changed*

Women have been doing it for years so why stop now in my opioion, so i always do batches of milk , it varies with how long i wait to put boiling water in , sometimes if im busy its 25 mins other times ill just put the boiling water in straight from when the kettle has boiled.

WHen thats done i will iether leave them out for abit to cool before putting them in the fridge or just bung them straight in there.

Then take them out when needed , boil kettle to put in a jug and thats how i warm the bottle. Hope this helps x

i used to leave them cool at room temp before fridging them to start with..
when rhiannon was born up untill she was about 8-9wks i used to do it..

1. boil kettle
2.pour water into stralised bottles in batches of 6 (this would usually last me all day and i would do another batch when they ran out)
3. leave to cool for about 30-45mins
4.add formula
5.pop in fridge
6.take out and heat in jug of boiling water

now i..

1. boil kettle
2.add boiling water to 4 steralised bottles and her steralised water beaker
3.leave to cool on the side of kitchen unit with lid half on half off
5. when cool screw lids tight
6.add formula when feed due
7.heat in micro and feed

what your doing sounds right to me hun :)

Toria wat your doing is fine hun. people do it different to others go with whats easier for you. what you explained is exactly what i do i just heat in the microwave instead of hot water. Your fine chick xxx

and yes, it is fine to stick um straight in the fridge doesnt do my lo any harm at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->