• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bowel troubles UPDATED

dippy dee

Reaction score
Hi everyone this could be a long one so sorry in advance.
My little man who was 3 last week ( born at 26 weeks) has terrible bowel problems that have been ignored for years now.
Basically he can't poo properly, he goes every 4 days if i am lucky and on poo day he dances around on tip toes and cries in pain for hours it takes around 8-12 hours for him to pass a stool he doesn't strain until the last min, ihave been telling my hv for over 2 years and she said he was attention seeking but after 6 weeks ago when he was screaming and clinging onto me i went to see my gp yet again and demaned some one see him, we had an appointment to see the consultant and an x-ray revealed he had around several weeks of stools inside of him, so he is now on picosulphate a movicol and have said if that didn't work then they would have him in for an clear out, well the medication isn't working and he is still in agony.
I feel that yes medication might help him go if we can find some that works for him but it's not getting to the actual problem and so is going to be a quick fix, i said this to dh and he said i was wrong as ds shouldn't be made to go through loads of tests so young but then again i said meds can make him dependant on them and damage him more, sorry to ramble but i'm always made out to be in the wrong in this debate.
I can't potty train as poo days mess him up and i feel like such a failiure when he is clinging to me screaming in agony and crying my name :cry:
I keep wondering if it is something to do with been born so early?
is there anyone else out there who's little one has gone through the same?
Sorry if it makes no sense but i just needed to get it all out to someone who would listen as i feel like i am banging my head on a wall as no one listens.
Thankyou for reading :hug:

UPDATE.
Well thanks to you ladies on here we have just been to to see the consultant and Harley has sb and there is a high possibility jack has as well but he has to undergo more tests as his looks worse.
Thankyou ladies xxxx:hugs:

Didn't want to read and run hunni x x

My 3rd has bowel issues but no where near like your little boy, poor little guy!! My son has days when he doesnt "go" and then has pain and we have to put his medication up, which results in the runs (cant spell diaoreah, see,lol) He takes a daily dose of lactulose which is a mild laxative and when he has a problem like I say we up the dose. He has missed lots of days at school from it. My son was born at 37 weeks, so full term, so whilst your sons prematurity may be relevant (bowels mature at 36 weeks gestation I believe) I think issues like this can happen anyway. I know someone who has a child who had this clear out procedure (not sure if its surgical or an enema) and it has worked well for her child and although the child takes medication daily they have had no problems since.
I hope they can sort your little boy out soon, it sounds awful!!

My LO has big problems with her bowels (caused by her spina bifida) and she basically can't go on her own. She has an adult dose of lactulose now but still isn't going so we have to give suppositories. They don't do much though :lol:

I would take him to your GP to see if there is anything they will do.

My son has spina bifida also and has severe bowel problems. He has no sensation in there so doesnt know when to push. As a result it never comes out on its own and back up.

He takes movicol to stimulate his bowels into pushing through and also to soften his stools. He has daily enemas to lubricate and push through and when this is not enough, i have to manually do it myself which is obscene but necessary. When a blockage is cleared, it can be prevented with medication but sometimes a blockage can get so bad it needs a proper wash out.

Don't be afraid of this medication, my son has been on it since birth and has no choice. It isnt a nasty medication at all. Wash outs and enemas are not as bad as you might think. There are loads of things which can be used to prevent him getting constipated in the first place such as movicol, lactulose and senna - Senna is a natural herb and lactulose is just sugar.

If the movicol isnt working, then you need to go back to go for for a higher dose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->