boy's birth story

isil

Reaction score
I did my annnouncement ages ago but only now really feel up to sharing how he was actually born!

I'd already had 2 sweeps at 6 and 9 days overdue and the midwife couldn't believe I hadn't gone into labour myself. When July the 21st came round it was induction day. I was examined at 10am and the student midwife decided to give me a pessary even tho it'd been recommended by my community midwife that my waters just be broken. I told the midwife that I was really worried about how I'd react to the pessary as I'd had to have one before I had a d&c after my miscarriage and knew that I reacted really strongly and quickly to it. She insisted I have one anyway.

Low and behold, 30 mins later I was contractions every 2 mins. It was painful but as I wasn't on labour ward I wasn't allowed anything more than paracetamol. OH was sent home as it wasn't visiting hrs. I was in mega pain but just left to it while he was away. At 4pm I was checked again. Boy's heartrate was very fast and I was having contractions every 1-2 mins.

Finally, I was admitted to labour ward and given gas and air, which I kept using (or more biting on) all the way through. I was told earlier my waters wouldn't be broken as there was a risk it'd make my contractions closer together. But at 6pm the labour ward midwife decided to do it anyway. My contractions then were so close together that by the time the monitor showed one was fading; another one started the monitor off going up again.
I begged for pethidine and was given it but it made no difference - I kept asking if I'd really been given it!

The midwife's changed over at 8 and it was my community midwife who was on. I'd already said I wanted an epidural. Apparently they weren't keen to give me one but I insisted. I was pretty out of it by now...mainly because I was puffing on the gas and air constantly and not taking a break like you're meant to lol.

They had 2 gos at giving me an epidural but it didn't work anyway. like at all! Anyway, I was finally allowed to start pushing and didn't really notice the fact that my midwife was getting a bit concerned and the surgeon kept popping in and out. Eventually my midwife said enough was enough. He just wasn't coming. I'd been pushing for ages and was exhausted. My OH was gowned up and down we went to the theatre where I threw up 3 times (lack of gas and air!) and given a spinal block. My contractions magically disappeared on the way to theatre and I had to be given drugs to start them up so they could have a go with ventouse. The ventouse didn't work and I had the c-section. Boy was finally born at 1:30am weighing 8lbs 9 1/2 oz (although it was written down at 8lbs 10 for some reason).

I was very disappointed with the whole thing. I didn't get to hold him for over an hr and can't even remember it when I did. We had to stay in hospital for a week as boy got jaundice and lost too much weight. I was moved aroudn wards a lot as they didn't know where to put me. I eventually ended up in transitional care with him under a uv lamp in a hot bed and being tube fed.

Hated being in hospital esp. as the neonatal nurses and midwives gave such conflicting advice about his feeding. I've found that since we've been home the midwives haven't been much better about advice with his feeding and I feel really screwed around. We're doing mix breast and bottle but I really wish we were doing total breast.

I've felt totally like he isn't mine although it's getting a little better now and I've felt really low...which isn't getting better but hopefully will. Finally been discharged from the silly midwives and just trying to do our own thing now with the help of the health visitor.

Really hoping for a VBAC next time.

anyway here he is when we'd been home for a couple of days
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/sheona_me/s282402744_1677255_3951.jpg

congrats hun... sorry it wasnt how you were planned...

but he is truely gorgeous :):)

sorry to hear you had a pants time, your little boy is gorgeous and hopefully next time youll have a lovely birth :hugs: x

congratulations hun he is beautiful, sorry that he didn't go the way u planned

Congratulations :hugs: sorry it was not how you wanted, really hope that everything gets better for you :hugs:

Sorry it wasn't the experience you wanted but he sure looks worth it, gorgeous hun x

Sorry to hear you didnt get the birth that you wanted. He really looks lovely congratulations :)

sorry u had such a hard time but COngrations on your gorgeous little boy he is lovely x

congrats sounds like you did a great job considering the circumstances, i'm sorry you're feeling low and misadvised.xx

Congratulations on your little boy. He´s lovely.

Sorry you didn't get the birth experience you wanted. I hope you and Alasdair (who is absolutely gorgeous!) can get to know each other and settle into a routine now!

congrats he is gorgous sorry it wasn't how you planned x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->