boys bits - what do I need to know?

stephj25

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'm sorry if this is a daft question but I knew all about what to do with a girl (being a female myself and all that). Like wiping front to back, doing it very gently and not getting in the creases etc..

So, for boys then....I have no clue as I have never changed a boys nappy! is there any special requirements or things that I need to know about boys bits. Also, how do you get poo off of the scrotum? does poo even go that far with a boy? :wacko:

Yes poo will go everywhere. Make sure to lift his penis to make sure there isn't poo underneath it and you can just wipe the scrotum and penis normally.
Make sure his penis is pointing down when you put the nappy on otherwise he will end up with a wet tummy!
Boys nappies are easy to change. I'm worried about changing a girl though! What happens if poo gets in her privates! Does that even happen? :shrug:

Boys are pretty simple. ..the poop has no where to hide ;)
It does sometimes go all around the 'bits' but just wipe around it.
After having my son then looking after my niece and changing her nappy....I find boys alot easier :) x
Oh and keep an eye on his penis as they have a tendency to pee and catch you out...youll know the tell tale signs after the first time lol.
And always make sure his penis is down when you put nappy on xx

It's not really too hard :) Yes, poo will get on the scrotum and higher sometimes(at least it did with my DS!) You just have to keep wiping. I sometimes had to kind of hold the skin down and tight to get it all off. If you get him circumcised, you will need to pull back the skin and clean out the smegma that builds up. My pediatrician said the new way of circumcision leaves more skin than they did previously. It is prone to adhere to the head of the penis if not cleaned regularly. I just got in the habit of pulling it down and wiping it down really fast every time I changed DSs diaper.

Boys nappies are much easier than girls in my experience. Just wipe everywhere that is dirsty, you will be able to see where the poop is (which will be everywhere :haha:). Don't retract the foreskin. Point the penis downwards when you put the nappy back on.

What about changing them after they get circumcised. Poor winkies: ( .. must be so painful. How long does it take for it to heal? I imagine them screaming in pain just wiping or dabbing

Thank you for this OP! Having had a girl and 5 generations of girls in my family, I have NO idea how to look after a boy! So thank you everyone for posting.

Thanks ladies for the responses

Just one more question. Is it true that a baby's penis will get erect sometimes? Does anything cause it like the cold or is it random? Does it make putting nappies on more difficult? How early does that start?
I always assumed that erections started in their teens.

Sorry. Clearly I know nothing about boys!! I think I'm a tad nervous about having a boy!!

I'm glad you've posted this. I'm having a boy this time and I've never changed a baby boys nappy in my life!

I've thought about all the things you've posted, definitely stalking :)

Yep erections happen. I can't remember exactly when I first saw it with ds1, I think within the first few months, so far I've not seen one on ds2.

It's most often in the mornings or after naps that I've noticed it while changing a nappy. Just clean as normal, it can however make pointing it down when you put the new nappy on a little more challenging!

Yes they do get erections and if they do cover it quick! They get one right before they pee so it's a good indicator to move out of the way so you don't get sprayed. They will also get one from playing with themselves which is a bit awkward haha but it's good to let them play because they are helping their foreskin to retract naturally, never do it yourself. Like others said make sure you lift the penis to wipe underneath and make sure it points down.

Thank you ladies, at least I know what to expect now :) :)

I'm so glad you asked this question! I am team yellow but I am convinced this one is a boy. I've been wondering about these things. Girls are so easy to change xx

What about changing them after they get circumcised. Poor winkies: ( .. must be so painful. How long does it take for it to heal? I imagine them screaming in pain just wiping or dabbing

if circumcised, the doc will explain how best to clean. With both my boys I was told to use a Vaseline bases gauze to wrap the tip in for the first few days. It healed rather quickly but you had to keep it moist otherwise things could stick to his little penis and id assume that that would really hurt in such sensitive area. And they never seemed to be in much pain from it. They are given a local when it is done but it never seemed to bother my boys too much after the first day. ( they did need lots of cuddling and mommy time the day of the procedure but I don't remember if that was for them or me as I was heart broken that I had to put them through that at just a day old!)

Circumcisions do heal very quickly. My pediatrician also has me put Vaseline on DSs and cover with gauze. I don't remember it bothering him much. He didn't even seem to be fazed by it when he was done.
And as for erections, they do happen, but it's not anything that would be embarrassing to deal with. They just stick up a little instead of being down :) And as a pos said it can mean they are about to give you a shower, so cover up quickly!

Wipe down and don't pull the skin back. Pretty simple lol

Edit those who are circumcising
something to think about, my son is 6 and may need this for medical reasons, the doctors are trying to steer clear as chance of infections are high. So certainly ask ur doctor how to look after it properly

I hadn't even thought about this! I'm having a girl and just assumed it'd be straightforward, hadn't even thought about checking 'inside' and in the chubby little creases for poop. So much to think about!
So funny reading about some of the little boy things on here too, had no clue they could get erections and someone's comment about making sure the penis is pointing down or they'll get a wet belly made me laugh :haha:

Boys are gross from a very young age. My first was terrible with erections, but second hasn't been too bad.
But what's worse is they have one during bum change and look u dead in the eye and laugh when u touch their pinky

Boys are gross from a very young age. My first was terrible with erections, but second hasn't been too bad.
But what's worse is they have one during bum change and look u dead in the eye and laugh when u touch their pinky

Haha that's so funny. Just goes to show, they never change!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->