boys name help needed

Is there any letters than you prefer the name to start with? Or preference for English names/Irish names/Latin names etc?

Nothing has really struck us. I think that is why the boy's name is so hard for us.

I am looking for names that have meaning for us I guess but don't know where to start. The names you ladies have given me are great! And do sound good with our surname but many already taken in my family/friends include Zachary, Tyler, Christopher, Daniel, Toby, Callum, Gary, Carl, Robert, Nathen, Caleb so I don't really want to use them.

The names of the men we would like to honour (only need to choose one) in our family but would need to modify the name so that the kid's name is different (and in some cases this includes the first letters - no vowels or h's!) and we haven't found a way to change that inspires us are:
Harry
Alvin
Leo
Christopher
Edward
Lester
Johanne

Oh my goodness I LOVE Leo, I have thought of Lenny as a derivative of Leo before, I have a very special person in my life who has basically been a surrogate father to me even though our only connection has ever been that he was a friend of my childhood neighbour (?) and his name is Leo but everyone calls him Lenny. That was on my short list for if I had a girl actually.
I guess other derivates would be things like Christopher - Christian Johanne - John etc? Maybe you could look at finding out the origins of those names? Sometimes origins can be quite different but you would know and you can tell those people who you are honoring?
Leo Jenkins is gorgeous though. You don't want it to be exactly the same?

Actually Leo could be in its regular form because it was my grandpa's name who passed away a couple years ago. He was the patriarch of the family and I personally love the name too... my ONLY reservation is that my coworker just named his boy Leo. I would hate for them to get mad at me about it. It was actually on my wishlist of names while ttc, until they announced the name of their baby...now I don't know what to do. So a derivative may solve that problem. But I don't know if I like Leon. Leonard is OUT. My grandpa's birth name was Leopold but when he became a refugee and immigrated to canada, he declared his name as Leo because he hated Leopold.

I think you put me onto an idea though with going into some websites that show derivatives and see what the options are for each name. So far I have only done that for Harry...and it doesn't give me any names that don't start with H so no good.

I really wouldn't worry about your coworker naming their son Leo, not many people stay in the same job their whole life anymore and your son WILL have his name forever, but I guess if you are very good friends with them and really worried that they would take offence to you naming your son Leo as well, you could try seeing how they feel about it and explaining that Leo is your grandfathers name and important to you, surely they would understand?
There is a lot of Leo extensions and similar if you google it, but a lot of them are quite unusual (just had a look) and it strikes me that you are perhaps after a more traditional name?
Let me know how you go, I'd be interested to see what you settle on!
Happy hunting!

I like Nicholas, Leo, David and Arlo. I also like Maddox Jenkins and Maxwell Jenkins.

honey - if you like Leo - you go for it. Your co-corker will not mind at all I'm sure.

Would be a beautiful way to honour your grandfather. :hug:

definately go for the name that you want and that feels right! thousands of people have the same name and is unlikely not to meet others who have same name through life! go for leo if thats what u want!

I asked my DH about Leo and he wasn't interested. *sigh*

My sister just named her boy Peter and so did our best friends, so that one has been taken.

how about calvin for alvin?

Calvin Jenkins is nice :)

Calvin actually means 'little bald one' which i can not say is my favourite name meaning! :rofl: might fit him perfectly at birth - but I expect he will grow out of that quickly enough.

I do still like the name though. :)

My son has a Noah Jenkins in his class which i think goes well, other than that Toby is very cute x

I like Joshua Jenkins lol I think it has a nice ring :p

Oh no about Leo! Took us SO long to agree on our sons name as well :s

So I like to use nymbler.com to come up with name inspirations. I put in Leo and Winston, this is what it came up with (just the first few there are more!) that meet your rules:

Finn
Walker
Willard
Mason
Tex
Sidney
Darwin
Dewey
Wellington
Guy
Gilbert

My faves it came up with that do NOT fit your rules were: